Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Amati VCT & VCT 2 - New fundraising and potential merger

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
CrackAddick

Amati VCT & VCT 2 - New fundraising and potential merger

Postby CrackAddick » June 29th, 2017, 2:04 pm

As per below, found on the Amati website (Unfortunately I'm not yet approved to post the link as a proper URL)

"
amatiglobal.com/press.php?date=20170628

Amati VCT and Amati VCT 2 have confirmed that that they are considering merging. They said discussions were ongoing between the two companies' boards and whether a merger was proposed or not, the boards intended to launch a joint fundraising with a prospectus to raise around £20m between the two VCTs later this year.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Amati VCT & VCT 2 - New fundraising and potential merger

Postby scotia » June 29th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Joined-UP VCTs are a nuisance to an ordered policy of sell after 5 years and reinvest. If I sell Amati 1, then I don't have to worry about recent purchases of Amati 2. But with only one Amati VCT I will in the future have to keep a 6 month separation. And there also seems to be a complication in the interim period - if the two are amalgamated, does a historic purchase of Amati 1 now Link with a recent purchase of Amati 2?

parallellines
Lemon Pip

Postby parallellines » June 30th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Where the two VCTs are near-mirror image ( or as in the case of Hazel, exact mirror image) it could be argued that the sell and reinvest strategy is exploiting a loophole in the legislation. It might be best if the market did eliminate the abuse, so that we don't have even more onerous legislation imposed on us.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 30th, 2017, 2:25 pm

parallellines wrote:Where the two VCTs are near-mirror image ( or as in the case of Hazel, exact mirror image) it could be argued that the sell and reinvest strategy is exploiting a loophole in the legislation. It might be best if the market did eliminate the abuse, so that we don't have even more onerous legislation imposed on us.

Disagree.

Sibling-VCTs have been around a lot longer than the legislation, and the lawmakers were well-aware of them. The cost of sell-one-buy-the-other is sufficiently high to prevent it looking like a substitute Enhanced Buy Back to get round the legislation. Unless and until the VCT stables find a wheeze to work around those costs.

They are arguably a loophole in other legislation: specifically, limitations to a VCT's holdings in an investee. But that's a long-standing thing, and nothing to do with investors trading VCT shares.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 30th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Like Uncle, I also strongly disagree - I do not see a policy of selling at the end of a 5 year hold as being related to any sort of market abuse. The contract on income tax relief is for 5 years. Thereafter the sale proceeds are mine. It does seem strange that there is legislation which restricts my repurchase for 6 months - especially since a sale and repurchase of conventional equities in order to burn off Capital Gains has simply an out-of-market period of 30 days. However, ignoring the injustice of the 6 month period, I cannot see how the purchase of shares in a VCT with a completely different set of Directors can reasonably be linked to the earlier sale. In the government's consultation document, they referred to " a sale of shares held in that VCT or another VCT managed by the same management group". However following this consultation, they specifically limited the restriction to "that VCT".

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”