Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Is there anybody here?

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Re: Is there anybody here?

Postby BusyBumbleBee » November 6th, 2016, 1:15 pm

I have managed to Bumble my way over - looking good - now to encourage the rest - regards - BBB

Shavtedagin

Postby Shavtedagin » November 6th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Signed up & looking forward to the continuation of the board and the views of others.

wilwak

Postby wilwak » November 7th, 2016, 8:46 pm

I'm here. thanks for setting this up.

SkepticalJudge

my view

Postby SkepticalJudge » November 8th, 2016, 11:37 am

I found the old VCT board very useful and interesting over the years. Contributors putting in the time and sharing their expertise, (how the internet always was back when bulletin boards started )

I am a cynic and unfortunately my missgivings have proved too true , particularly with Foresight and their Closed Loop' investments and Core's self aggrandisment.

Despite having some winners in my portfolio - Baronsmead by far the best, I have not invested in VCTs the last few years. The tax incentives seem to be lining already cosily stuffed pockets rather than supporting businesses. Most of my recent investments have been using Ethex - Do your own reaserach and have a look.

I apologise for not staying on top of events - i did not realise the Foresight votes would be so close - I should have opened those packages and voted.

All the best

DAve

zagabog

Postby zagabog » November 8th, 2016, 2:09 pm

I never really engaged with the MF Boards, they seemed awkward to use and navigate. However this PHP board feels like an old friend already. Very well done, as a relative novice investor I'm sure that it will be a valuable resource to my investing self education.

outpost83

Postby outpost83 » November 8th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Another transferee from the TMF VCT Board, though haven't posted anything before as not as knowledgeable on the subject as you chaps. Good to see so many familiar names on here as your postings are always very interesting and informative. Keep up the good work!

knechtruprecht

Postby knechtruprecht » November 9th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Also present and correct. Well done, Julian1106 for setting this up. Delighted there's some continuity here. Pleased, too, to find other helpful TMF boards living on ...

SpinDoctor

Postby SpinDoctor » November 9th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Evening all.
Joined the mass migration.

oxmatt
Lemon Pip

Postby oxmatt » November 10th, 2016, 11:57 am

Hi - I've come over as well.

Looking forward to continuing the conversations. I found the old forum and posters invaluable when I first starting VCT investing a couple of years ago.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » November 11th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Likewise, I found the MF board on VCT's extremely useful. I am reviewing my VCT investing as I cannot help but think this middle class welfare is going to be for the chop or certainly given a good strangling before to long.

I would rather see the pension industry killed off but that is for another day....

cprof
Lemon Pip

Postby cprof » November 16th, 2016, 8:38 am

Well done everybody for rapid migration

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 16th, 2016, 6:02 pm

flyer61 wrote:Likewise, I found the MF board on VCT's extremely useful. I am reviewing my VCT investing as I cannot help but think this middle class welfare is going to be for the chop or certainly given a good strangling before to long.

I would rather see the pension industry killed off but that is for another day....

It's been given a good strangling, with the killing off of VCT investment in MBOs (and other insufficiently-risky investments).

In principle, VC tax breaks are a Very Good Thing from HM Gov point of view. A very cheap (to them) way to support the businesses of the future.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » November 17th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Well they have finally closed the board over at the Fool :( - and UncleE had the last word as happens quite often ;)

SpecialSaver2

Postby SpecialSaver2 » November 23rd, 2016, 4:37 am

SpecialSaver2 checking in. I really like this notice board, much better than TMF! I am glad you guys left a trail of breadcrumbs for me to follow!

I am going to quickly rescue and re-post a popular thread with information for newbies and on this forum I should be able to edit it, which will be nice!

SS2

127tolmers
Lemon Slice

Postby 127tolmers » November 24th, 2016, 11:41 am

I am quite impressed that this thread has over 900 views.

I don't think we ever knew how may lurkers vs posters there were on MF so this seems a good step forward.

Is there a spellcheck facility on this site?

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » November 24th, 2016, 12:58 pm

I was told on another forum "You could use the one built in to almost every web browser out there which will do spell checking as you type anyway."

I thought that sounded great but my browser didn't seem to do that (I use Firefox).

I googled it and found that there is a checkbox that needs ticking:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... l-checking

Still didn't work but then I read that you need to download a dictionary:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... age-tools/

I downloaded and installed the English (British) dictionary. Then to enable it, I think you right click in your post and tick the 'Check Spelling' box.

Works beautifully for me. I'm sure other browsers, e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, also offer an auto spell-check service.

Hope this helps.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2016, 1:17 pm

127tolmers wrote:I am quite impressed that this thread has over 900 views.

That'll be the same people viewing, and re-viewing as new posts appear on the thread.
Stonge wrote:I thought that sounded great but my browser didn't seem to do that (I use Firefox).

Really? Every firefox (and others) I've used for quite a few years has had it enabled by default. Dammit, the word "firefox" is highlighted, though it accepts your capitalised "Firefox" as a proper name!

127tolmers
Lemon Slice

Postby 127tolmers » November 26th, 2016, 8:27 pm

Stonge, thanks for the spellcheck advice

TopOnePercent
Lemon Slice

Postby TopOnePercent » November 28th, 2016, 11:02 pm

I moved over from TMF too. Haven't been on their VCT board in years though, as I took a bath on a couple of VCTs early in the millennium - Invesco Perp Aim (as was) and VEN 2/3.

Revisiting my ideas around VCTs currently, so have popped in for a little educated reading. There was a Fool, though forgive me if I don't recall his/her name that shied away from many IPOs and bought in the secondary market for income. That's mostly what I see myself as doing going forward, and expect to resume buying early next year.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » November 29th, 2016, 11:15 am

There was a Fool, though forgive me if I don't recall his/her name that shied away from many IPOs and bought in the secondary market for income. That's mostly what I see myself as doing going forward, and expect to resume buying early next year.

The opportunity for bargains in the second hand market is now very limited. As all the best ones manage their discount.
Also a number have issued profit warnings as a result of the change rules. I am out of new investment in VCTs but will continue with the DRIS on a number - in particular AAVC which seems to have the right policy for the new rules - and a pile of 'old money' which can be invested in, for example, care homes.

Best income is probably in the VEN twins and is of the order of 8% p.a. The directors also seem to be waking up after pressure from a number of Fools. Maybe a squeeze of lemon juice will sharpen them up even more

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”