TD Regular Investing

paulnumbers

TD Regular Investing

Postby paulnumbers » November 7th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Hi All,

After moving away from Youinvest, I'm looking for a regular saver option.

On the website http://www.tddirectinvesting.co.uk/choose-an-account/regular-investing/ it says the following

"Invest regularly from £25 per month into your TD ISA or SIPP, investing in Funds, Equities and ETFs. This costs as little as £1.50 commission for FTSE 350 stocks or UK listed ETFs, and £0 commission for Funds (please be aware our Platform Fee and Ongoing Fund Manager charges will apply)."

Can anyone confirm what they mean by UK listed ETF's? I'm confused whether this excludeds ETF's such as vanguard which are domiciled in Ireland.

I called them today to discuss, and they told me that a FTSE 100 tracker would be eligible but an S&P 500 tracker would not. Perhaps the gentleman on the phone was correct, but he really didn't seem to be making much sense.

If anyone has any knowledge of this I'd appreciate some input.

Paul

Alaric
2 Lemon pips

Re: TD Regular Investing

Postby Alaric » November 8th, 2016, 12:23 am

paulnumbers wrote:Can anyone confirm what they mean by UK listed ETF's? I'm confused whether this excludeds ETF's such as vanguard which are domiciled in Ireland.

Aren't almost all ETFs marketed in the UK domiciled in Ireland? It's a tax avoidance of stamp duty as to why they do it. But if you can get a UK quote does that not make it UK listed?

1nv35t
2 Lemon pips

Postby 1nv35t » November 8th, 2016, 12:45 am

Didn't Osborne remove the stamp duty from UK domiciled ETF's to level the field? ETF's domiciled in Ireland, and listed in London may have higher costs going forward given Brexit than that of UK domiciled and London listed ETF's. So far the uptake/start of such UK domiciled ETF's has been very slow, but that could turn into a torrent after Brexit.

As and when the EU converges into a single political/financial entity, so the likes of Irelands dividend withholding taxes will tend to rise to the EU common denominator, perhaps comparable to US 30%. Whilst the UK might continue to maintain 0% dividend withholding taxes. Making the UK the more attractive for investors (and funds).

paulnumbers

Postby paulnumbers » November 8th, 2016, 12:51 am

Aren't almost all ETFs marketed in the UK domiciled in Ireland? It's a tax avoidance of stamp duty as to why they do it. But if you can get a UK quote does that not make it UK listed?

That sounds more sensible, not what the chap on the phone said though.

Lootman
Lemon Slice

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2016, 1:12 am

paulnumbers wrote:Can anyone confirm what they mean by UK listed ETF's? I'm confused whether this excludeds ETF's such as vanguard which are domiciled in Ireland.

I called them today to discuss, and they told me that a FTSE 100 tracker would be eligible but an S&P 500 tracker would not. Perhaps the gentleman on the phone was correct, but he really didn't seem to be making much sense.

Paul, I'm seeing some confusion in this thread between being UK listed and being UK domiciled.

Most of the ETFs that I think we're talking about here, and certainly the main Vanguard ones, are UK listed in that they trade on the London Stock Exchange. However they are usually domiciled in Ireland, for certain tax and administrative reasons.

I would not call that tax avoidance. Open-ended funds do not attract stamp duty either, while there are some investment trusts that are domiciled in the Channel Islands and there is no stamp duty on them either.

The chap you spoke to on the phone was talking rubbish in my opinion. It doesn't matter what the underlying market is that the ETF is invested in. That has no bearing on whether it's available to a UK investor. That said, some brokers may offer some ETFs but not others for capricious reasons. But they should not.

Finally some ETFs are offered in more than one currency. Generally speaking I'd choose the GBP version, assuming that you are a domestic UK investor who "thinks" in sterling.

Hope that helps.

paulnumbers

Postby paulnumbers » November 8th, 2016, 8:34 am

Thanks Lootman, you're right about me mixing up domicile and listing. Appreciate the clarification.

It's quite pleasing to see a few names I recognize over here!

Paul

Breelander
Lemon Slice

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 6:37 pm

paulnumbers wrote:It's quite pleasing to see a few names I recognize over here!

As it now says Total members 1195 at the bottom of the Home page, that should hardly come as a surprise. :lol:

paulnumbers

Postby paulnumbers » November 9th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Lootman wrote:The chap you spoke to on the phone was talking rubbish in my opinion. It doesn't matter what the underlying market is that the ETF is invested in. That has no bearing on whether it's available to a UK investor. That said, some brokers may offer some ETFs but not others for capricious reasons. But they should not.

Hi Lootman,

I finally bit the bullet and signed up for an account today. Turns out it's quite possible to add ETF's that track foreign indices as you suspected.

Paul

Lootman
Lemon Slice

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 9:54 pm

paulnumbers wrote:
Lootman wrote:The chap you spoke to on the phone was talking rubbish in my opinion. It doesn't matter what the underlying market is that the ETF is invested in. That has no bearing on whether it's available to a UK investor. That said, some brokers may offer some ETFs but not others for capricious reasons. But they should not.

Hi Lootman,

I finally bit the bullet and signed up for an account today. Turns out it's quite possible to add ETF's that track foreign indices as you suspected.

Paul

I've never had a problem with getting any ETF trade handled by TDDI.

I should have mentioned, if you didn't know already, that there is a pregnant takeover of TDDI by III. Much too early to say how that will work out, and personally I am confident that TDDI's platform, scope and services will be maintained. But you may need a review in another year or so.

paulnumbers

Postby paulnumbers » November 9th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Lootman wrote:I've never had a problem with getting any ETF trade handled by TDDI.

I should have mentioned, if you didn't know already, that there is a pregnant takeover of TDDI by III. Much too early to say how that will work out, and personally I am confident that TDDI's platform, scope and services will be maintained. But you may need a review in another year or so.

Yes I was aware thanks.

I've just finished running from Youinvest to IG Index, but they lack a regular saver hence the TD account. Picked TD over Halifax as there are no transfer out fee's with TD. So any shenanigans from TD I will transfer out to Halifax.

InterestedParty

Postby InterestedParty » January 15th, 2017, 12:01 am

paulnumbers wrote:
Lootman wrote:I've never had a problem with getting any ETF trade handled by TDDI.

Yes I was aware thanks.

I've just finished running from Youinvest to IG Index, but they lack a regular saver hence the TD account. Picked TD over Halifax as there are no transfer out fee's with TD. So any shenanigans from TD I will transfer out to Halifax.

Can I just ask why you're "running from Youinvest". I know everyone has different requirements and concerns but I'm curious what's wrong with Youinvest. The main reason is I'm looking for a broker and it seemed quite good to me.

GeoffF100
Lemon Pip

Postby GeoffF100 » January 15th, 2017, 7:12 am

They have just massively increased their charges for some people, without offering a free transfer out.

TedSwippet

Postby TedSwippet » January 15th, 2017, 10:15 am

GeoffF100 wrote:They have just massively increased their charges for some people, without offering a free transfer out.

...for the second time.

InterestedParty

Postby InterestedParty » January 15th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Thanks for that. I'm just starting investing and I'm looking for a broker. As I'm new to it I'll be pretty passive and make very few trades, probably once a month at the maximum. I'd like a broker with little or no management fees and the same for ISA fees. Any suggestions?

dspp
2 Lemon pips

Postby dspp » January 15th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Try ii at £80/yr and no %fees. (http://www.iii.co.uk/)

mc2fool
2 Lemon pips

Postby mc2fool » January 15th, 2017, 4:36 pm

InterestedParty wrote:I'd like a broker with little or no management fees and the same for ISA fees. Any suggestions?

IWeb Share Dealing, after 23rd of January.

Owned and run by Halifax (and so, Lloyds), £25 once off first account opening charge, £5 per trade dealing fee (inc. OEICs), and no regular admin or inactivity, management or holding fees (inc for OEICs).

kempiejon
2 Lemon pips

Postby kempiejon » January 15th, 2017, 5:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:
InterestedParty wrote:I'd like a broker with little or no management fees and the same for ISA fees. Any suggestions?

Owned and run by Halifax (and so, Lloyds), £25 once off first account opening charge, £5 per trade dealing fee (inc. OEICs), and no regular admin or inactivity, management or holding fees (inc for OEICs).

I like Halifax, xheap dealing days no admin fee. I looked at iweb and was surrised by the comment about a £25 fee, I thougt it was £200. It's due to reduce to £25 by 23rd January as above so if anyone does want to open wait a week.
http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/prod ... ccount.asp Their SIPP is fee free to open and then they want £22.50 per quarter to hold, The ISA does not have an annual account fee. I have ISAs with Halifax and Youinvest.

InterestedParty

Postby InterestedParty » January 15th, 2017, 5:30 pm

I'd heard about those Halifax cheap dealing days, but wasn't sure how it works. Is there a charge for holding a Halifax account? An admin fee or inactivity fee? Also with the cheap dealing days can you make one off investments or do you have to commit to a regular ongoing investment?

doug2500

Postby doug2500 » January 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm

kempiejon wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

I like Halifax, xheap dealing days no admin fee. I looked at iweb and was surrised by the comment about a £25 fee, I thougt it was £200. It's due to reduce to £25 by 23rd January as above so if anyone does want to open wait a week.
http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/prod ... ccount.asp Their SIPP is fee free to open and then they want £22.50 per quarter to hold, The ISA does not have an annual account fee. I have ISAs with Halifax and Youinvest.

Raging.

Not long opened an account for £200

paulnumbers

Postby paulnumbers » January 15th, 2017, 9:16 pm

InterestedParty wrote:Thanks for that. I'm just starting investing and I'm looking for a broker. As I'm new to it I'll be pretty passive and make very few trades, probably once a month at the maximum. I'd like a broker with little or no management fees and the same for ISA fees. Any suggestions?

i recommend considering transfer out fee's as part of the signup process.

TD investing and IG index do not charge a fee to transfer out.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”