Halifax Share Dealing

Lootman
Lemon Slice

Re: Halifax Share Dealing

Postby Lootman » December 20th, 2016, 2:19 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Wasn't aware of all that - so a joint share trading account providing dividend income could provide up to £10k tax free (ie £5k each)? And upon the death of the first named the dividend income will continue to flow but anything over £5k becomes taxable?

All as it would be in two single named accounts, but without the hassle of transferring the assets upon the first death.

Have I understood that correctly please?

Yes, as far as I am aware that is correct.

You're really benefiting from two different things there. The first is the joint account, which in your case is with your spouse but it could be with any beneficiary. And the second is that we have separate taxation for married people, enabling a couple to double their allowances.

mao44

Postby mao44 » December 21st, 2016, 4:51 pm

In reply to TahiPanas. I have been with HSBC for many years and they are very good. However, they have started charging in the last year. Their fees are £10.50 a quarter for each dealing account. The can include both an ISA and non-ISA all for the £10.50. They charge £10.50 per trade but do not have any cheap dealing days.

Out of interest what are the Halifax account charges?

dspp
2 Lemon pips

Postby dspp » December 21st, 2016, 6:32 pm

mao44 -
The HSBC fees seem to mirror the II fees. Do you think this is coincidence ? Do HSBC outsource their brokerage platform ? What are they like as a broker. I ask because I am penciling in moving my bank accounts to them sometime next year and had wondered about moving a chunk of my investments over as well.
regards, dspp

TahiPanas

Postby TahiPanas » December 22nd, 2016, 9:38 am

mao44 wrote:In reply to TahiPanas. I have been with HSBC for many years and they are very good. However, they have started charging in the last year. Their fees are £10.50 a quarter for each dealing account. The can include both an ISA and non-ISA all for the £10.50. They charge £10.50 per trade but do not have any cheap dealing days.

Out of interest what are the Halifax account charges?

Thanks Mao! I will give them my Barclays holdings, I think.

As to your question, AAIK, Halifax charge £12.5 per trade, £2.0 per regular trade plus only £12.5 per year account charge. Pretty good I think.

mao44

Postby mao44 » December 22nd, 2016, 4:46 pm

Thanks TahiPanas.

That is pretty good. I may consider transferring my holdings with HSBC over to Halifax. Need to find out whether any fees will be incurred with HSBC.

Snorvey
Lemon Slice

Postby Snorvey » December 22nd, 2016, 5:22 pm

Neil

Postby Neil » December 27th, 2016, 9:47 pm

I'm thinking about moving across my S&S ISA from TD direct investing as the service is awful and a 0.3% platform fee for funds. As I understand it Halifax would be free for this.

Though, from above, it seems you can only make one trade each month on the £2 regular investor?

staffordian
2 Lemon pips

Postby staffordian » December 27th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Neil wrote: ...As I understand it Halifax would be free for this.

Though, from above, it seems you can only make one trade each month on the £2 regular investor?

No.

With Halifax Share Dealing the £2 dealing days are more or less weekly. The set up page has a calendar which always shows the funding and dealing days for the following six months.

Staffordian

TahiPanas

Postby TahiPanas » December 28th, 2016, 9:02 am

Snorvey wrote:https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/sharedealing/our-accounts/?pagetabs=0

Thanks Snorvey and sorry for the delay in replying. BoS seems like a very possible candidate.
Have you used them?

mc2fool
2 Lemon pips

Postby mc2fool » December 28th, 2016, 10:41 am

TahiPanas wrote:
Snorvey wrote:https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/sharedealing/our-accounts/?pagetabs=0

Thanks Snorvey and sorry for the delay in replying. BoS seems like a very possible candidate.

BoS is Halifax. From the above link, "Bank of Scotland Share Dealing Service is operated by Halifax Share Dealing Limited".

BTW, you said earlier in the thread that your preferred option was Halifax "but I just found out that they don't do joint accounts.", but their T&Cs seem to say that they do.

See the Halifax Share Dealing Terms & Conditions (including Share Dealing ISAs) at https://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/ ... s-policies and go to section 5.9 Authorised persons and joint accounts. In fact, just search the document for "joint", there are plenty of occurrences.

The Bank of Scotland T&Cs are, unsurprisingly, other than the branding, word for word the same.

Snorvey
Lemon Slice

Postby Snorvey » December 28th, 2016, 1:34 pm

I've used Halifax / BoS Sharedealing/Sharebuilder/ISA services for more than a decade and a half & never had a problem with them.

Neil

Postby Neil » December 29th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I am a still a little bit confused on this.

Their support told me that fund trading fees are £12.50, but then said that 'funds that do not trade as regular shares will not be included [in the lower price regular investment]'. For me the whole advantage of non-share funds is that you can flexibly sell in and out at low cost.. so probably I would stay with TD direct where this is free.

mc2fool
2 Lemon pips

Postby mc2fool » December 29th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Neil wrote:Their support told me that fund trading fees are £12.50, but then said that 'funds that do not trade as regular shares will not be included [in the lower price regular investment]'. For me the whole advantage of non-share funds is that you can flexibly sell in and out at low cost.. so probably I would stay with TD direct where this is free.

Yes, but TD charge 0.3%pa for holding funds, which equates to £12.50 for every £4166.67 of funds you hold, so whether TD or Halifax is better for you for funds depends on your investment amount and trading frequency. Do your own maths :)

TahiPanas

Postby TahiPanas » December 30th, 2016, 7:02 am

mc2fool wrote:
TahiPanas wrote:

BoS is Halifax. From the above link, "Bank of Scotland Share Dealing Service is operated by Halifax Share Dealing Limited".

BTW, you said earlier in the thread that your preferred option was Halifax "but I just found out that they don't do joint accounts.", but their T&Cs seem to say that they do.

See the Halifax Share Dealing Terms & Conditions (including Share Dealing ISAs) at https://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/ ... s-policies and go to section 5.9 Authorised persons and joint accounts. In fact, just search the document for "joint", there are plenty of occurrences.

The Bank of Scotland T&Cs are, unsurprisingly, other than the branding, word for word the same.

Thanks mc2fool. I really appreciate you taking the time to research this. I did originally search Halifax's Ts & Cs and noted that they refer to "if your account is jointly held....." but could not find a way to apply except as an individual. I then emailed Halifax and got a response that "unfortunately, we do not currently offer joint accounts". Confusing!

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”