Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Chart Query

Discussions regarding financial software
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYPTUSS Chart Query

Postby staffordian » December 4th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Hi Bree,

I use Windows Ten, updated to the Anniversary Update.

I was about to reply to the effect that yes, I log in as a standard user, but having checked, I realise that I am already using an administrator account as my default - I think I recall reading a while back that this was now more or less ok so I changed then from a standard account.

Which rather begs the question why selecting Run as an administrator for Excel actually does anything!

I get more confused the more I look at this!

Regards,

Staffordian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 4th, 2016, 9:27 pm

staffordian wrote:... am already using an administrator account as my default - I think I recall reading a while back that this was now more or less ok so I changed then from a standard account.

Which rather begs the question why selecting Run as an administrator for Excel actually does anything!

In Windows 10 when an administrator runs an app by default it is run with only standard user privileges. If it tries to do something that needs administrator privileges a popup appears asking you to confirm you want to exercise your admin rights this once. This is why it's generally safe to use an admin account these days, anything 'dubious' can only run with standard rights and you'll get an unexpected UAC if it tries to do something 'naughty'.

I only have Excel Starter 2010 on my Win10 PC (doesn't do macros), but I have a full version of Excel 2007 on my Win7 one (and a cloned drive for that one that's been upgraded to Win10). I'll investigate further and see if I can reproduce your problem - but don't hold your breath, it may take some time!

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 4th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Breelander wrote:
staffordian wrote:... am already using an administrator account as my default - I think I recall reading a while back that this was now more or less ok so I changed then from a standard account.

In Windows 10 when an administrator runs an app by default it is run with only standard user privileges. If it tries to do something that needs administrator privileges a popup appears asking you to confirm you want to exercise your admin rights this once. This is why it's generally safe to use an admin account these days, anything 'dubious' can only run with standard rights and you'll get an unexpected UAC if it tries to do something 'naughty'.

I only have Excel Starter 2010 on my Win10 PC (doesn't do macros), but I have a full version of Excel 2007 on my Win7 one (and a cloned drive for that one that's been upgraded to Win10). I'll investigate further and see if I can reproduce your problem - but don't hold your breath, it may take some time!

Thanks Bree, both for the explanation and the offer to investigate when you have chance.

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly helpful so many folk here are!

Staffordian

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
This is what we're used to seeing on the default 'UserForm9' layout - http://i.imgur.com/kOKP2YP.png

Itsallaguess,

Just a quick follow up regarding this form.

After I got the charts to behave by running Excel as an administrator, I looked again at the userform9 and my copy still had the blank black background rather than the Windows icon, so maybe the lack of this icon isn't critical?

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 5th, 2016, 8:11 pm

staffordian wrote:
Just a quick follow up regarding this form.

After I got the charts to behave by running Excel as an administrator, I looked again at the userform9 and my copy still had the blank black background rather than the Windows icon, so maybe the lack of this icon isn't critical?

Staffordian

Hi Staffordian,

I agree, it's probably not as significant as I thought it might be, especially with the news that your permissions settings seem to have enabled you to get going with the charts working as expected.

Are you happy with the current situation now, or would you still prefer to be able to use them in non-Administrator mode?

I've just taken a look and understand that you can make a particular program start in Administrator-mode automatically, without having to right-click and carry out a 'Run as Administrator' as you have done until now -

Although running Apps as an Admin can be accomplished using a simple right click, it’s also possible to set an app to ALWAYS run as Administrator thus saving a few clicks here and there! Here, let me show you how!

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... windows-7/

Would that get you back to simply being able to double-click on the HYPTUS tool and allow you to use the charts with less hassle Staffordian?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 5th, 2016, 8:16 pm

staffordian wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
This is what we're used to seeing on the default 'UserForm9' layout - http://i.imgur.com/kOKP2YP.png

..... and my copy still had the blank black background rather than the Windows icon, so maybe the lack of this icon isn't critical?
Staffordian

In fact I also see the blank black background on userform9, so I suspect the windows icon is a feature(?) of Itsallaguess' installation

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 5th, 2016, 8:20 pm

kiloran wrote:
staffordian wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

..... and my copy still had the blank black background rather than the Windows icon, so maybe the lack of this icon isn't critical?
Staffordian

In fact I also see the blank black background on userform9, so I suspect the windows icon is a feature(?) of Itsallaguess' installation

--kiloran

Ah, well thanks for that Kiloran, it's always nice to find out who the outlier really is! :D

I had a vague feeling that it might have been defaulting to a .png file that perhaps wasn't in the newer Office installs, what with me still running on a steam-powered version on my rig.

Anyhow, I'm glad that it doesn't seem relevant, but thanks for taking a look at your set-up and reporting back.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 5th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Are you happy with the current situation now, or would you still prefer to be able to use them in non-Administrator mode?

I've just taken a look and understand that you can make a particular program start in Administrator-mode automatically, without having to right-click and carry out a 'Run as Administrator' as you have done until now -

Although running Apps as an Admin can be accomplished using a simple right click, it’s also possible to set an app to ALWAYS run as Administrator thus saving a few clicks here and there! Here, let me show you how!

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... windows-7/

Would that get you back to simply being able to double-click on the HYPTUS tool and allow you to use the charts with less hassle Staffordian?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hi Itsallaguess,

I did set up Excel to always run as an admin by ticking the box towards the bottom of the Compatibility tab; I didn't realise there was also a tick box for it after clicking advanced on the shortcut tab too...

What I've done now though, after reading the link you supplied and a few others is to set up two shortcuts.

The first is the one I already have on the taskbar, which allows me to right click to bring up a list of Excel files; i.e. a quick way of immediately loading the particular Excel file I want, in standard mode, which is fine for most of my Excel files, and the second shortcut which is a desktop icon that loads Excel as an administrator. With this shortcut, I simply have to click OK on the UAC message then select the HYPTUSS file from the file list by the Office button.

I'm extremely happy to have a workable solution.

If, by any chance you ever come across the reason why it sometimes necessary to run as an admin for the charts to work; just post it here please, to satisfy my curiosity :D

Many thanks again to you, Kiloran and Bree for the time, effort and input helping solve a problem which is apparently unique to me. It's very much appreciated.

Staffordian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 8th, 2016, 5:34 pm

staffordian wrote:Many thanks again to you, Kiloran and Bree for the time, effort and input helping solve a problem which is apparently unique to me. It's very much appreciated.

I've finally completed my investigations - testing Office 2007 as a standard user and an admin under Windows 10 1511 (first with September's cumulative update and then the latest November one) and The Anniversary Update 1607 (after the initial upgrade and again after its November update). All opened BP's chart directly with a freshly downloaded v11.21 spreadsheet.

Every case worked correctly. Even setting UAC to maximum cannot reproduce your problem.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 8th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Breelander wrote:
staffordian wrote:Many thanks again to you, Kiloran and Bree for the time, effort and input helping solve a problem which is apparently unique to me. It's very much appreciated.

I've finally completed my investigations - testing Office 2007 as a standard user and an admin under Windows 10 1511 (first with September's cumulative update and then the latest November one) and The Anniversary Update 1607 (after the initial upgrade and again after its November update). All opened BP's chart directly with a freshly downloaded v11.21 spreadsheet.

Every case worked correctly. Even setting UAC to maximum cannot reproduce your problem.

Thanks very much for looking into it Bree.

I wish I could recall when I first encountered it; not sure if it was from when I got the current laptop or whether it happened subsequently. I just ignored it for ages and only mentioned it recently because I assumed it would be a simple fix and someone would quickly put me right.

The plot thickens!

All the best,

Staffordian

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”