Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS Update versions 11.83 and b-w

Discussions regarding financial software
kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: HYPTUSS Update versions 11.83 and b-w

Postby kyu66 » May 30th, 2023, 1:30 pm

kiloran wrote:Thanks, that's good to know but only useful for a stand-alone Python session. The requests module is not part of the standard Python application, and I don't believe it is possible to use add-in modules such as this in LibreOffice. It's got to be plain, native Python. :(
--kiloran

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to use in the embedded LO file (as per simple_yahoo_price_scrape.ods) but for anyone else that has a hand-rolled version, calling out to a stand-alone Python function, the requests module (and dependencies) can be copied into the LO site-packages folder (not the system Python site-packages.)
kyu66

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 30th, 2023, 5:16 pm

kyu66 wrote:
kiloran wrote:Thanks, that's good to know but only useful for a stand-alone Python session. The requests module is not part of the standard Python application, and I don't believe it is possible to use add-in modules such as this in LibreOffice. It's got to be plain, native Python. :(
--kiloran

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to use in the embedded LO file (as per simple_yahoo_price_scrape.ods) but for anyone else that has a hand-rolled version, calling out to a stand-alone Python function, the requests module (and dependencies) can be copied into the LO site-packages folder (not the system Python site-packages.)
kyu66

For people on here like me, that's way too clever and like a foreign language :? I wouldn't even know where to start. I think there are quite a few of us who rely on the skills of Kiloran and friends to keep us on the road.

Arb.

TerryWood

Postby TerryWood » May 30th, 2023, 6:01 pm

Hi @ Lemon Fool

I am a brand new member as of now. My first post!

I joined because i am using LibreOffice Calc Spreadsheet which I purpose built to give me and my wife a means of displaying our portfolio in a manner that suits us. Our problem has been that I don't have the coding skills that some of you guys have. So my method was to create a watch list on FT.com, then download it and simply copy it into my spreadsheet.

Then I came across HyperTuss and I was able to blend this in to my portfolio spreadsheet so that the two button update (Shares and funds) gives me the best of all worlds.

Now that there is the problem with Yahoo API I would like to ask a question of the experts. As I understand it price feeds for Funds come from the FT.com in Hypertuss? If so the issue is with stocks and Investment trusts? My question why can the FT not be used for downloading Stock Prices etc.

Thank you

TerryWood

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » May 30th, 2023, 10:52 pm

Thanks so much for releasing b-w.

I've got a peculiar problem, one copy of the b-w spreadsheet for my SIPP gets "No Div" on the Dividends tab, with Dividend Data selected as the source.

However, a different copy of my b-w file for my ISA works completely fine. Ah! now my ISA file is also getting the same problem.

I'm at a loss as to what's the issue. I copy/pasted the stocks in the HYP tab from the b-v version into the b-w version, for both of the files.
Short of unzipping a fresh b-w file and copying again, anything that I can inspect / check?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 31st, 2023, 11:13 am

stacker512 wrote:Thanks so much for releasing b-w.

I've got a peculiar problem, one copy of the b-w spreadsheet for my SIPP gets "No Div" on the Dividends tab, with Dividend Data selected as the source.

However, a different copy of my b-w file for my ISA works completely fine. Ah! now my ISA file is also getting the same problem.

I'm at a loss as to what's the issue. I copy/pasted the stocks in the HYP tab from the b-v version into the b-w version, for both of the files.
Short of unzipping a fresh b-w file and copying again, anything that I can inspect / check?

No idea what your problem might be :( , it's working fine for me.
What share symbols are causing the problem?

--kiloran

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » May 31st, 2023, 11:34 am

kiloran wrote:What share symbols are causing the problem?

--kiloran

All of them in the spreadsheet. MYI, AEI, GSF, SOI, BRWM, FCIT.

Would it help if I sent you the sheet as a DM attachment? There's no PII there anyway.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2023, 11:51 am

stacker512 wrote:
kiloran wrote:What share symbols are causing the problem?

--kiloran

All of them in the spreadsheet. MYI, AEI, GSF, SOI, BRWM, FCIT.

Would it help if I sent you the sheet as a DM attachment? There's no PII there anyway.

I just downloaded the latest HYPTUSS (Excel v11.83). I added the 6 companies, 100 shares in each. No problems (I even tried changing the data source parameter in cell B2 of the 'Parameter' worksheet).

So, possibly a problem unique to the LibreOffice version? (looks that way!)

EDIT:

Last edited by monabri on May 31st, 2023, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » May 31st, 2023, 12:01 pm

Do I need to add each stock using the buttons, or can I paste the raw text from a previous file?

The HYP tab is fine. It gets the prices and yields.

It's the Dividends tab that breaks for me.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2023, 12:03 pm

stacker512 wrote:Do I need to add each stock using the buttons, or can I paste the raw text from a previous file?

I added the shares using the buttons ..to no avail. I don;t think it is anything you are doing incorrectly.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2023, 12:05 pm

stacker512 wrote:Do I need to add each stock using the buttons, or can I paste the raw text from a previous file?

The HYP tab is fine. It gets the prices and yields.

It's the Dividends tab that breaks for me.

Interesting....Try clicking on "Get Yields" (this returned the dividend sums). I didn't need to do this in the Excel version..it automatically retrieved the dividend values. In the LibreOffice, I had to click on the Get Yields button.

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » May 31st, 2023, 12:30 pm

monabri wrote:Interesting....Try clicking on "Get Yields" (this returned the dividend sums). I didn't need to do this in the Excel version..it automatically retrieved the dividend values. In the LibreOffice, I had to click on the Get Yields button.

I always do "Get Prices", followed by "Get Yields". This seems to work all the time.
The data you have in your image is roughly the same as mine.

This is my Dividends tab:

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 31st, 2023, 12:40 pm

stacker512 wrote:Thanks so much for releasing b-w.

It initially failed for me, returning "No Div" for all shares.
I then looked at the web page on my browser https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ and it returned:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

So, it's our well-known problem..... DividendData does not like us to scrape too much data, and if we exceed its limits (not sure but around 10 shares) then it locks out further queries based on the user's IP address. I verified this by switching on a VPN to give me a new IP address and it worked fine in HYPTUSS and my browser. I switched the VPN off and it failed again. This problem occurs with both the LibreOffice and Excel versions of HYPTUSS.

The reason it initially failed for me is that it remembered that I'd done a load of testing before I released the new HYPTUSS

DividendData appears to remember the culprit IP address for a long time, and the only solution is to change the IP address. This can usually be done by switching your broadband router off and on again, and perhaps noting your IP address before and after to ensure that it has changed. It's a pain in the neck but I can't see any other solution, other than switching on a VPN when required (I use Proton VPN)

Hope this helps

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 31st, 2023, 5:34 pm

TerryWood wrote:
Now that there is the problem with Yahoo API I would like to ask a question of the experts.

Are you aware that the HYPTUSS tool has been updated recently to cope with the Yahoo API issues, and is currently working again?

If you download the latest version from the website, you should find the prices update OK again.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 31st, 2023, 8:03 pm

kiloran wrote:
TUK020 wrote:Firstly, many thanks for the work you do to keep this tool running - really appreciated, very useful.

I have just downloaded the version bw for LibreOffice, and put my portfolio into it.
I am running LibreOffice Version: 6.4.7.2 on an up to date Linux Mint

When I run it to update prices, works fine,
Some minor gremlins to report:
Dividend/yield update
- it returns a funny on MCT - the text string "Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct".
- For VMID it gives a ????
All charts gives most charts
- but not for BT, SHEL, or Haleon. (this is not just the latest version, I think this has been going a while, but I didn't report it)

Thanks for getting this running again
tuk020

It looks like the AIC table has occasional hidden elements so the code slips up and reports the dividend dates rather than the yield. This is where the MCT data comes from: https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/mi ... come-trust
I'll have a look at the problem.
For VMID the ???? indicates that the yield cannot be found. I'm not aware of any website that allows easy reporting of yield for ETFs.
The charts issue is a problem with the Livecharts webpage. For some reason, it does not have charts for some common shares. It's been like that for a long time. You could try selecting the Trustnet source on the Parameters sheet, though that is not perfect. I can't find any other easily-reportable source for charts

--kiloran

The dividend yield problem has been fixed with version b-x.
See: viewtopic.php?p=592368#p592368

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”