Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo appears to be droppng the UK

Discussions regarding financial software
spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Yahoo appears to be droppng the UK

Postby spiderbill » December 5th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Today uk.finance.yahoo seems to have disappeared and is redirecting to finance.yahoo.com. Portfolios are still there but everything else is US centric. News mostly seems to be from the US, and it's hard to find the UK-Euro exchange rate anymore as all the old sets of regional FX have gone.

Doesn't seem to have affected the HYPTUS share prices so far - let's hope for no changes there.

Never liked Yahoo - far too many bits of data (especially yields) were always missing, but it was convenient for quick checks. If only Digital Look would speed up their site.

cheers

Spiderbill

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: Yahoo appears to be droppng the UK

Postby Raptor » December 5th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Are you sure?

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/

Works for me.

Raptor.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 5th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Raptor wrote:Are you sure?

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/

Works for me.

Yes, me too. I think what has happened is that there is a "new" Yahoo Finance which is now the default on the US Yahoo and has been for several months. The UK version is the "old" Yahoo Finance. I have to be careful which one to use - it can depend on IP address for instance.

In the usual fashion the new version is actually worse than the old version - something that I've noticed a lot with software products in general.

I hate Yahoo but their (old) Finance product has some useful features, so I hope it doesn't vanish one day.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » December 5th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Interesting, so the full news page is still there. And I see you can get to the Currencies page from there too.
When I said News I actually meant the news you see at the bottom of the portfolio page (sorry, should have been clearer).

However my portfolio pages, which I have on bookmarks, are now being redirected to the US version, and the list of relevent news to your portfolio contents is now mostly sites in the US like Insider Monkey, Bllomberg, The Street, etc. Poor old Motley Fool which used to fill the UK news are nowhere to be seen. Following the Portfolio links from that News page makes no difference - you still get the redirect.

So maybe they've just shifted the Portfolio feature. Wonder if that'll be the last change though.

cheers

Spiderbill

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 5th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Mine is still all UK orientated.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/eupf_7/view/v1

OK you will not be able to view my portfolio but as you can see it is still UK.

Mind you, I noticed that the APP on my tablet has a weird mixture of news items? Both UK and US, but as I do not use it for NEWS doesn't bother me.

Raptor.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » December 5th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Hi Raptor, that's really odd - I'm getting redirected through a series of 302 and 301 redirects that end up on the US version, yet it seems you aren't. I wonder if there's something happening at ISP level to change the routing - I'm on Virgin Media.

cheers

Spiderbill

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 5th, 2016, 9:22 pm

I am on BT. Weird.

Raptor.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 6th, 2016, 7:26 am

I'm grateful to you all in this thread. Had I not read it. I would probably have been bemused for days. Motley Fool Helpfulness lives on!

In the usual fashion the new version is actually worse than the old version - something that I've noticed a lot with software products in general.

You are so right. Why do they mess about with things which worked perfectly well?

I use yahoo finance to download historical prices and it looks as though (for the moment) I can still do this, but the layout and navigation is not so immediately intuitive. They've tried to make look "nice" (or just different) but in fact it is less functional.

Let's hope the UK pages and data don't disappear as TMF did.

Arb.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » December 6th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Curiouser and curiouser - this morning it's all gone back to normal and I'm back on uk.finance.yahoo.

I hope it stays that way - you just never know with Yahoo.

Only thing I can think of is that somehow they've screwed up the geolocation systems and my ip address was considered to be US for a couple of days and I was redirected accordingly.

(twilight zone theme tune plays in background)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 6th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Kidnapped by aliens?

But it isn't the same... the layout and formatting is quite different - but it will do.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 6th, 2016, 5:41 pm

spiderbill wrote:Curiouser and curiouser - this morning it's all gone back to normal and I'm back on uk.finance.yahoo.

It was the same on the US version. It started appearing sporadically, and indicated that it was "beta". Then the "beta" went away but is still came and went seemingly randomly. And now it seems to be the new version all the time on US Yahoo and the UK Yahoo is started to behave the same way.

spiderbill wrote:Only thing I can think of is that somehow they've screwed up the geolocation systems and my ip address was considered to be US for a couple of days and I was redirected accordingly.

Yes, I think it does respond to where it thinks your IP address is located but it seems to get that wrong from time to time. So far I've been able to fool it when that happens but it's getting harder.

There is quite simply no way this will end happily. And to think Yahoo at one time had the same profile and promise as Google. I wouldn't care except Yahoo's share price and dividend history, and options dat, is good - better than my broker, oddly. I'm also locked into Yahoo email but that's a painful story I will duck.

Ticker is YHOO if you want to short it. Chart is ugly:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s= ... O;range=my

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”