Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Update to HYP Top-Up spreadsheet

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Update to HYP Top-Up spreadsheet

Postby kiloran » December 21st, 2016, 9:18 pm

A Christmas present from Itsallaguess and me.....

We've made two changes:
  1. The Week Ahead functionality has been enhanced. We noticed a few weeks ago that Investors Chronicle published data for the week ahead, and also the week after, so the spreadsheet only linked to the Week Ahead data furthest in the future. If you click on the Week Ahead button, it now lists all of the Week Ahead links, and you can select the one that you want.
  2. Digital Look recently had a problem with Forecast Yield, Dividend Cover and P/E. We've modified the code so if Forecast data is not available, we show the Latest data (in red, as a warning to you). Investment Trusts have always used Latest data, and this also displays in red to highlight this.
That should give you a new toy to play with when you're fed up with the christmas specials on the telly.

Excel version 11.23 and OpenOffice/LibreOffice version b-a are available for download at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

--kiloran

geoff1309

Re: Update to HYP Top-Up spreadsheet

Postby geoff1309 » December 22nd, 2016, 3:29 am

Could you please tell me where I find the week ahead button, and excuse my lack of comp. literacy (I am 76)
Thank you

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 22nd, 2016, 3:53 am

geoff1309 wrote:Could you please tell me where I find the week ahead button...

It's on the 'High Yield Portfolio' sheet. Top row of buttons, last but one the far right. It straddles columns L and M.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 22nd, 2016, 8:00 am

Kiloran, itsallaguess,

Thank you for your Christmas present. In the spirit of Christmas, perhaps I'll wait until The Day before I unwrap it - or perhaps I'll treat it like a day on my Advent Calendar and open it today.....

Thanks, either way.

Arb.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 22nd, 2016, 9:50 am

Thanks Kilo/IAAG,
I'm going to continue through year-end with the current version I have, but look forward to parallel-testing the updated version right after New Year.
It's great that you managed to find a fix/work-around for the identified issues; much appreciated!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 22nd, 2016, 2:57 pm

I usually download each new version as it's issued and test it by migrating my portfolio to it and checking the new/changed features. This one will have to wait for a quiet period over the holiday.

My primary HYPTUSS is still on version a-t. It has too many personal customisations to make it practical to migrate to them to each new version. The bits that now don't work I don't really need (dividend dates, mainly). Should I feel the need, I can easily migrate just the portfolio to a new version to use them, then copy and paste the results to 'old faithful'.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 22nd, 2016, 3:15 pm

Thanks guys. Tested to destruction, seems to work fine. All buttons go to the right places, charts look fine. Even got red forecasts for my IT's as expected. Even NXG done.....

Respect. Raptor. Merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 22nd, 2016, 3:31 pm

Breelander wrote:I usually download each new version as it's issued and test it by migrating my portfolio to it and checking the new/changed features. This one will have to wait for a quiet period over the holiday.
My primary HYPTUSS is still on version a-t. It has too many personal customisations to make it practical to migrate to them to each new version. The bits that now don't work I don't really need (dividend dates, mainly). Should I feel the need, I can easily migrate just the portfolio to a new version to use them, then copy and paste the results to 'old faithful'.

Agreed Bree. I would usually do the same and for the same reasons; a period of parallel testing to highlight any potential bugs, and also time to carry over my own customisations and test them too. But in this case my primary PC is off for repair and hopefully being returned tomorrow. I'm going to want to get that back and happy with how it looks since the time or it's original disc-error, before I take things further.

I have to say again, I'm very much looking forward to trialling the latest version :)

Whatsup

Postby Whatsup » December 22nd, 2016, 3:42 pm

Dear Kiloran

There was a bug in a previous version of the Open/Libre Office version (a-x) which did not complete the processing after downloading dividends causing the sheet to hang and although the sheet could be saved it was still inoperative needing a force quit followed by a recovery to make it work

Having downloaded the new version this appears still to be the case. Have I missed something ?

Regards

Colin

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 22nd, 2016, 3:55 pm

Raptor wrote:
Thanks guys. Tested to destruction, seems to work fine. All buttons go to the right places, charts look fine. Even got red forecasts for my IT's as expected. Even NXG done.....

Respect. Raptor. Merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year.

Thanks for that Raptor, and also for the kind words from others on this thread. I hope the new features are found to be useful, especially given the recent issues with Digital Look Forecast-Yield data; I think being able to utilise Latest-Yield data if there's any future issues with the Forecast fields is going to be a really useful benefit.

Hopefully the newly-improved 'Week Ahead' functionality will also be useful to the many people who clearly miss Luni's great Friday-night posts on the subject. I've played with it for a few weeks now, and clicking the new button after work on a Friday night, just to get a glimpse of the expected market-actions for the week after, is a great substitute in the absence of Luni's threads with similar news.

For those that have not seen or used the Investors Chronicle page linked by the new 'Week Ahead' button, here's a flavour showing the market 'key-company-announcements' for the current Christmas period -

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/201 ... ticle.html

Finally, as always, I'd like to express my utmost gratitude to Kiloran for continuing his great support of this tool, not only in the on-going development of the OpenOffice version of the utility, but also in the development and comprehensive testing of the Excel version asl well, where new features like this are brought in, as well as the great work he does with the Financial Software web-site. His fantastic enthusiasm for what we're trying to deliver with this utility means that I too manage to keep wanting to hone the tool into something that we both hope will be useful to as many people as possible. Thanks again Kiloran!

I hope everyone here has a great Christmas and New Year.

Best Wishes,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 22nd, 2016, 5:00 pm

Whatsup wrote:There was a bug in a previous version of the Open/Libre Office version (a-x) which did not complete the processing after downloading dividends causing the sheet to hang...

Do you mean the 'Update Dividend Data' button on the Dividends sheet? If so, version b-a works for my portfolio using Libre Office version 4.3.5.2, both for ADVFN and Upcoming Dividends. It may be specific to a particular share that you have and I don't. To help Kiloran, what is the share it's checking when it hangs? The last in your list, of an earlier one? Which share is it? What version of Open/Libre Office do you have?

Whatsup

Postby Whatsup » December 22nd, 2016, 5:35 pm

Sorry not clear initially

It is the forecast yield button on the portfolio sheet.

It processes all the yields but then the OK button does not appear.

This happens even using the downloaded sheet with just BP on it. Using libre office version 4.3.4.1

Regards

Colin

Whatsup

Postby Whatsup » December 22nd, 2016, 5:52 pm

Just updated LibreOffice to current version and it still doesn't work

Regards

Colin

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 22nd, 2016, 6:39 pm

Whatsup wrote:It is the forecast yield button on the portfolio sheet.
This happens even using the downloaded sheet with just BP on it. Using libre office version 4.3.4.1

I get the 'Processing finished - OK' button with b-a, for my portfolio or just BP. Try a freshly downloaded copy. If that too fails it's one for Kiloran, I'm afraid...

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 22nd, 2016, 7:27 pm

Whatsup wrote:Sorry not clear initially
It is the forecast yield button on the portfolio sheet.
Regards
Colin

Hi Colin. What is your operating system? It's not a Mac, is it? Sounds suspiciously like a problem that NeilW reported back in August http://boards.fool.co.uk/new-hyptus-ver ... e#13421236

(and Neil, if you are reading this, I still have your problem on my to-do list. There always seems to be other problems to work on :( )

--kiloran

Whatsup

Postby Whatsup » December 22nd, 2016, 7:37 pm

Dear Kiloran

Correct using mac

I knew someone else had mentioned it but couldn't find the post on the old place ( which was the thrust of the first post)

Regards

Colin

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 22nd, 2016, 7:48 pm

Whatsup wrote:Dear Kiloran
Correct using mac
I knew someone else had mentioned it but couldn't find the post on the old place ( which was the thrust of the first post)

Regards
Colin

Ah, that's useful feedback Colin. I now know that the problem is not specific to NeilW, and the severity of the problem has now doubled... 2 users instead of 1.
The code was modified from version a-w to overcome a confirmed bug in LibreOffice which prevented data being displayed as it was being updated. The workaround works OK on Windows and Linux, but appears to be a problem on Macs. Seems to be related to the process threads I introduced but I'm not yet clear on what the solution might be (and I don't have access to a Mac to develop a solution)

Looks like I have work to do

--kiloran

Whatsup

Postby Whatsup » December 22nd, 2016, 7:56 pm

Thanks Kiloran

Have tried on a second mac with a new download of LibreOffice and spreadsheet and it still hangs

Regards

Colin

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » December 29th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Hi Kiloran,

Not sure if this would solve your lack-of-Mac problem, but there is a way to run a MacOS in VMware: https://lifehacker.com/5938332/how-to-r ... virtualbox

(If the link above gets truncated, google "running a mac vm on windows" and you should see the lifehacker link on the first page.)

Have fun!

VRD

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 29th, 2016, 6:04 pm

vrdiver wrote:Hi Kiloran,
Not sure if this would solve your lack-of-Mac problem, but there is a way to run a MacOS in VMware: https://lifehacker.com/5938332/how-to-r ... virtualbox
VRD

Yes, I have VirtualBox versions of Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Chrome and Windows 10. Why not MacOs?..... it costs money!

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”