Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Update to HYP Top-up spreadsheet

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Update to HYP Top-up spreadsheet

Postby kiloran » November 20th, 2016, 4:50 pm

The ex-Fools among us Lemons are probably aware of the Week Ahead data provided by Luniversal. See, for example: http://boards.fool.co.uk/week-ahead-nov ... 59606.aspx

Luni is no longer providing this data, so Itsallaguess and I have updated the HYP Top-up spreadsheet to facilitate access to this data. A button "Week Ahead" has been added to the "High Yield Portfolio" sheet. Clicking on this opens the Investors Chronicle Week Ahead web page in your default browser.

Note that the Investors Chronicle only allows 3 views per month without subscribing, but you can normally circumvent this problem by disabling or deleting cookies for the IC web site.

Version 11.2 (Excel) and a-z (OpenOffice) are available at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

--kiloran

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Update to HYP Top-up spreadsheet

Postby staffordian » November 20th, 2016, 5:03 pm

That's quick work!

I think that will be a very useful addition, thanks very much to you and Itsallaguess for your continued development of this spreadsheet.

Staffordian

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » November 21st, 2016, 11:56 am

What am I doing wrong? I have downloaded v11.2, changed to enable macros and editing, copied the BP line for the number of shares I have and then opened my earlier version of hyp to copy the shares over. I highlighted the list of shares, starting at the first share of mine in the old version and then tried to paste it in the new version - but nothing happens!
W10, Excel 2010

Granretire

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » November 21st, 2016, 12:22 pm

granretire wrote:What am I doing wrong? I have downloaded v11.2, changed to enable macros and editing, copied the BP line for the number of shares I have and then opened my earlier version of hyp to copy the shares over. I highlighted the list of shares, starting at the first share of mine in the old version and then tried to paste it in the new version - but nothing happens!
W10, Excel 2010

Granretire

Which columns are you copying from old to new? You just need to copy the ticker and the number of shares held.

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » November 21st, 2016, 12:30 pm

I was copying the names, not the ticker. Clearly brain is decaying :) Thanks

Granretire

foundone
Lemon Pip

Postby foundone » November 21st, 2016, 12:40 pm

How are you trying to do the paste? excel can be very fussy about cut and paste. If you use Ctrl+v you get no warning, if you right click on a cell see if paste is available in the menu and not greyed out.

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » November 21st, 2016, 2:50 pm

kiloran wrote:Note that the Investors Chronicle only allows 3 views per month without subscribing, but you can normally circumvent this problem by disabling or deleting cookies for the IC web site.

Version 11.2 (Excel) and a-z (OpenOffice) are available at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

Hi Kiloran
Thanks for this new facility, but it doesn't work for me.
I deleted all the IC cookies in Chrome, but I get the message "No Week Ahead link found"

I tried going to http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/shares/news-and-analysis/, but couldn't even find "Week Ahead" on that page. :?

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » November 21st, 2016, 3:03 pm

... I've now registered with ic for the free "limited internet access", but the spreadsheet link still doesn't work and I still can't find "Week Ahead"

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » November 21st, 2016, 3:31 pm

Week ahead doesn't work for me either (w10, Excel 2010). Get 'No week ahead link found'

Granretire

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 21st, 2016, 4:17 pm

granretire wrote:
Week ahead doesn't work for me either (w10, Excel 2010). Get 'No week ahead link found'

Granretire

There was an issue earlier with the IC website where no news articles were being shown, so that's part of the explanation as to what's been happening this afternoon.

That said, it now looks like the 'Week Ahead' page that we're after has moved 'down' the original page, and is no longer visible on the initial news page we look at (http://tinyurl.com/hu2c6ow).

However, clicking on the 'Last 7 days' link on the page, or the 'More' arrow at the bottom of the page gets us to a wider set of news articles that still contains the 'Week Ahead' link that we're looking for (http://tinyurl.com/hv4zdbt).

I'll need to have a chat with Kiloran later, as I'm on the way out the door right now, but I think a simple update of this release that looks at the wider '7-day' IC news will make for a better solution to this issue, as the week-ahead article that we're interested in will always then be visible on the news page the tool is looking at.

Hopefully we'll have this looked at soon, so thanks for your patience with this little glitch in the meantime...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 21st, 2016, 4:21 pm

I've not tried it today (using tablet, not laptop), but it worked fine for me last night.

I wonder if they change /update the page at the start of a week and the new one is not yet available?

With regard to subscriptions and page views, first time I loaded it yesterday it told me I had zero views left.

I registered for the free option and opted to stay logged in and that option seemed to work OK, though I've yet to see if this still works after shutting down and restarting the pc.

I'm going to use the laptop tonight so will try the link and report if it works for me.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 21st, 2016, 5:17 pm

Yes, I found the issue earlier today, and while I was working on a solution, the website we need went down for a few hours so that stopped any further development.
As Itsallaguess said, the problem is that the Week Ahead info drops down below the bottom of the page as new data is added to the top. The current version should work OK at the end of the week and over the weekend, but will have problems as the week progresses and new data is added to the top of the web page. There are two possible solutions which spring to mind which should be fairly easy to implement. Itsallaguess has already sent me a possible fix.

A related issue is with the OpenOffice version.... when it can't find the data we want, it goes into an infinite (or at least very long) loop. I think I had a fix for this before the website went down.

Got to go just now, I'll look at this later now the website is working again.

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 21st, 2016, 7:47 pm

kiloran wrote: ...As Itsallaguess said, the problem is that the Week Ahead info drops down below the bottom of the page as new data is added to the top...

Sharecast does a decent 'Week Ahead' http://www.sharecast.com/news-list/week-ahead.html without any registration needed. But it might be difficult to link directly to the latest one. The page in the above link lists all recent 'Week Ahead' articles, but each one has its own unique title, reflected in it's url. As the latest one is always at top left on the list it may be possible to scrape its url from there?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 21st, 2016, 8:03 pm

Breelander wrote:
kiloran wrote: ...As Itsallaguess said, the problem is that the Week Ahead info drops down below the bottom of the page as new data is added to the top...

Sharecast does a decent 'Week Ahead' http://www.sharecast.com/news-list/week-ahead.html without any registration needed. But it might be difficult to link directly to the latest one. The page in the above link lists all recent 'Week Ahead' articles, but each one has its own unique title, reflected in it's url. As the latest one is always at top left on the list it may be possible to scrape its url from there?

Thanks Bree, that may be a useful backup, though I see that it does not show the dividend amount which I suspect attracted Luni and others to the IC version. The IC version also has a proven track record, so since Itsallaguess and I have pretty much settled on a solution I think we'll stick with that for the moment.

--kiloran

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 21st, 2016, 8:42 pm

kiloran wrote: ...though I see that it does not show the dividend amount which I suspect attracted Luni and others to the IC version.
--kiloran

One or two posters have suggested that Luni used the IC information, which may be correct, but I certainly got the impression from his final posts and snippets in things he posted over the years that he maintained his own database, and I'd assumed it was compiled from stock exchange announcements and from other primary sources.

But as I say, I'm only assuming, and you know what assuming can do...

Staffordian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 21st, 2016, 9:06 pm

staffordian wrote: ...I certainly got the impression from his final posts and snippets in things he posted over the years that he maintained his own database, and I'd assumed it was compiled from stock exchange announcements and from other primary sources.

Correct.

Luniversal (early 2015) wrote:My Week Ahead effort is now sourced almost entirely from official websites, alerts and RNS, checked daily. It is an offshoot of my research into income stocks...
http://boards.fool.co.uk/investegate-is ... 41697.aspx

The most recent (and final?) listing of Luniversal's 'Week Ahead database' is here https://web.archive.org/web/20161111201 ... 59612.aspx

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

HYP Top-up spreadsheet problem fixed

Postby kiloran » November 22nd, 2016, 12:39 pm

Itsallaguess and I have fixed the problem retrieving Week Ahead data. The solution we have chosen means that we are reading a lot more data to find the correct web page, so it may take a few seconds from clicking the "Week Ahead" button to opening the web page in your browser.

Versions 11.21 (Excel) and a-z-1 (OpenOffice/LibreOffice) are available at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”