Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

upcoming dividends?

Discussions regarding financial software
Jeff26

upcoming dividends?

Postby Jeff26 » November 24th, 2016, 9:24 am

Hi,
I have updated the spreadsheet to the latest version last night and when I use Upcoming dividends get a No Div response in the Amount column when it runs.
ADVN is working ok.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: upcoming dividends?

Postby kiloran » November 24th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Jeff26 wrote:Hi,
I have updated the spreadsheet to the latest version last night and when I use Upcoming dividends get a No Div response in the Amount column when it runs.
ADVN is working ok.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Are you using the Excel or OpenOffice version?
Do you get No Div for all shares or just one?
Can you give an example of a share which shows No Div?
Have you used a previous version of the HPTUSS which got dividend data from Upcoming Dividends without problem?

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 24th, 2016, 4:32 pm

kiloran wrote:Do you get No Div for all shares or just one?

Isn't the 'No Div' issue, when seen across the entire HYP, a sign that the users IP has been blocked by the site?

If this is the case then turning off the router, waiting a few minutes, and then turning it back on is usually enough to receive a different IP address from your broadband supplier and get going again.

If that fixes it, then the issue was due to the website looking out for multiple scrapes of data and blocking traffic from that IP. I think that's a problem we're going to be stuck with unfortunately, but hopefully the above workaround will get everyone going again in the majority of cases.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Jeff26

Postby Jeff26 » November 24th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Hi Kiloran and Itsallaguess, thank you for the responses.

I have tried shutting the server down and doing a restart with no change in the result.

You asked for a sample of the shares I am getting the No Div response on - ADM
AZN
BLT
CLLN
CNA
COB
CPG
CCC
DGE
DOM
GFS
GSK
GRI
GRG
HSV

I can run it fine on the previous version of the spreadsheet.

I tried downloading another copy to see if the first copy was corrupted, but have got the same outcome on that one.

I will try switching my system off tonight and download another copy tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 24th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Jeff26 wrote:Hi Kiloran and Itsallaguess, thank you for the responses.

I have tried shutting the server down and doing a restart with no change in the result.

You asked for a sample of the shares I am getting the No Div response on - ADM
AZN

I can run it fine on the previous version of the spreadsheet.

I tried downloading another copy to see if the first copy was corrupted, but have got the same outcome on that one.

I will try switching my system off tonight and download another copy tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.

So you can run it right now with the previous version and get correct data, but the new version produces No Div? And can you please clarify what you mean by previous and new version? Sorry if I am appearing to be pedantic about this but it really does help. I don't want to waste time if you are looking at Excel version 11.20 and I am looking at OpenOffice version a-z.

And if you download a new copy of the HYPTUSS, does it work OK without any changes (for the single share BP.) or does it only have problems after you have loaded all your shares?

What happens if you click on this link: http://tinyurl.com/hnkgjtb
If you get 403:Forbidden, that is certainly the problem Itsallaguess mentioned and can normally be solved by rebooting your router. If you do this, check your IP address before and after rebooting.... sometimes you might get assigned the same IP after rebooting. You can check your IP address with: https://www.whatismyip.com/

--kiloran

--kiloran

Jeff26

Postby Jeff26 » November 25th, 2016, 10:06 am

Hi Kiloran and Itsallaguess, once again thank you for the responses.

I have finally got it sorted, thanks to your help.

I used the link provided and got the forbidden message.

I then used the other link to get the IP address.
After resetting twice I got another IP address and the dividend update worked fine. I am using Excel and had updated from version 11.11 to 11.21 (always update when you make new versions available).

Thank you both for the efforts you both put in to maintain the spreadsheets and support board mes once again for the help and support in resolving issues.

Regards

Jeff

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 25th, 2016, 11:10 am

It does seem that the dividend data site is very sensitive to the number of times it is accesed.

After getting this problem recently and resetting my router as suggested, it worked fine until last night when I was replicating my rather extensively modified Excel version of HYPTUSS in Open Office. After doing so I got the problem again.

Resetting the router again did the trick, but this morning, a manual check of the website prior to posting this message resulted in a third 403 message.

Staffordian

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » November 27th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Looks like I will have to find an alternative source of this data as swapping ip addresses regularly on my router just isn't an option for me - I have a number of servers which are set to only allow my and one other ip address to access them for security reasons.

Mind you with the government's appalling snooping bill going through I may have to get a VPN in any case and that may solve the problem.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 27th, 2016, 4:58 pm

spiderbill wrote:
Looks like I will have to find an alternative source of this data as swapping ip addresses regularly on my router just isn't an option for me - I have a number of servers which are set to only allow my and one other ip address to access them for security reasons.

Don't forget there's two data-sources available for dividend information from within the tool.

If the default option is causing you problems, go to the 'Parameters' tab and change the data source to 'ADVFN' if that helps.

It's a shame that we've got this issue with the default dividend information source, but unfortunately there's little we can do about it other than to offer the advice given earlier.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » November 27th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Don't forget there's two data-sources available for dividend information from within the tool.

Oh yes, I'm well aware of that but unfortunately the ADVFN data often has holes in it. Amazing really that so many sites seem to have missing, badly configured, or just plain wrong information. The new source looked very promising but they seem very sensitive to even quite small numbers of accesses.

I can always look at both my TDDirect account or my HSBC account and hopefully get the right aswers but it's a pity that such a useful tool is being stymied when it surely can't be putting much of a load on their server.

None of which should take anything away from your and kiloran's sterling efforts to continue improving an excellent tool for us all. Many thanks again.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 27th, 2016, 8:43 pm

The 403: Forbidden issue with our data source is a concern, especially since I am becoming more and more impressed with the website and the quality of the data.
I really don't understand the problem with the web site. It is very fast and responsive and can return data quicker than one share per second. That would really be tempting fate, so we implemented a random 3 to 10s delay between shares, which would be comparable to doing a manual browse with Firefox or whatever.

I did a few tests over the last few hours to try and identify what the limit might be and I'm none the wiser. Here's what I tried:

Manual browse for 44 companies over 6 minutes
pause for 30 mins
Manual browse for 37 companies over 7 minutes
pause for 20 mins
Manual browse for 30 companies over 5 minutes
pause for 1 hour
Run HYPTUSS for 39 shares
pause for 2 mins
Run HYPTUSS for 39 shares, with concurrent manual browsing for 20 shares

Not a hint of a problem, and I would think I was hammering the site quite hard. I know we had similar issues with Dividend Investor a few years ago, and there was a clear and reproducible limit to the rate at which we could request data, hence the 20s delay we used with that source. But no hint of a similar limit with our current source.

Very odd

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 27th, 2016, 8:58 pm

kiloran wrote:Not a hint of a problem, and I would think I was hammering the site quite hard.
--kiloran

And would you believe that after I sent that post, and 45 minutes after my last browse, I just refreshed my web browser for the last query on the web site, and got 403:Forbidden!

I'll leave it for a day or two to see if my access is reinstated at some point.

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 28th, 2016, 9:42 am

kiloran wrote:And would you believe that after I sent that post, and 45 minutes after my last browse, I just refreshed my web browser for the last query on the web site, and got 403:Forbidden!

I'll leave it for a day or two to see if my access is reinstated at some point.

--kiloran

12 hours or so later, my access has been reinstated, using the same IP address as the one that was blocked, so it would appear that the IP blocking is not permanent

--kiloran

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » November 28th, 2016, 11:08 am

Hi Kiloran

Curiouser and curiouser. I just tried the address you posted earlier - http://tinyurl.com/hnkgjtb - having not tried to access the site in any way for a few days, and was blocked. So my ip ban seems to be rather more permanent than yours.

cheers

Spiderbill

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 28th, 2016, 1:31 pm

spiderbill wrote:Hi Kiloran

Curiouser and curiouser. I just tried the address you posted earlier - http://tinyurl.com/hnkgjtb - having not tried to access the site in any way for a few days, and was blocked. So my ip ban seems to be rather more permanent than yours.

cheers

Spiderbill

Mine too.

Perhaps the first suspension is temporary with a subsequent one being longer term?

Staffordian

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 29th, 2016, 10:52 am

The problem with blocked IP addresses with Upcoming Dividends (apparently now known as Dividend Data) is frustrating. It's not always convenient to reboot your broadband router.

I've discovered that if you want to access the data using your browser, it is possible to circumvent the IP block by using Google Translate. Sounds completely screwy, I know, but the theory is sound..... Google Translate retrieves the data using its own IP address instead of yours, and then presents the data in your normal browser window. In effect, Google Translate is acting as a proxy server. It is hoped that the Dividend Data server would not block Google's IP addresses.

For details, see here: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... bsite.html

Note that this does not (yet?) help if you want to retrieve data using the HYP Top-up spreadsheet.

--kiloran

andycowl

Postby andycowl » November 29th, 2016, 11:06 am

Obvious question but have you tried asking the site administrator ?

http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/contact.html

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 29th, 2016, 11:20 am

andycowl wrote:Obvious question but have you tried asking the site administrator ?

http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/contact.html

I have been tempted, Andy, but I'm a little wary of stirring up a hornet's nest. It's a very good source of data, and I would not like them to get too interested in this problem. Maybe I'm just being over-cautious.

--kiloran

andycowl

Postby andycowl » November 29th, 2016, 11:23 am

I would not like them to get too interested in this problem

Excellent point. Hope you can find a workaround.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 11th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I haven't been able to access the website for almost a week now, forbidden #403 error. Never had this before so I guess my luck had to run out.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”