Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vegetarian Rebellion

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Vegetarian Rebellion

Postby brightncheerful » November 29th, 2016, 10:48 am

Discovering that the new £5 notes contain animal fat has caused consternation amongst some of the vegetarian and vegan fraternity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/new-5-notes-contain-animal-fat-says-bank-england-drawing-anger/

I've been a vegetarian (wholefood organic) since the early 1980s but my interest is for health reasons. Whatever you might think of my occasional comments on TMF and TLF, they would pale into insignificance compared with the views/opinions of vegetarian and vegan fundamentalists. The one and only time (I'm relieved to say) that I've encountered vegetarian/vegan fundamentalists the experience was for me not a pleasure.

I respect people that practice their principles without compromise but before my encounter with vegetarian/vegan fundamentalists I don't think I realised just how true to life is the joke - Q: how do you know if someone is a vegan, A: they tell you. (Personally, I prefer: the definition of a vegetarian is someone who employs vegetables.)

I have a higher regard for vegans than I do of vegetarian. Much vegetarian food comes under my heading of junk food but perhaps that's because reasons for becoming vegetarian don't necessarily include food ingredients.

As for whether the majority of vegetarians/vegans will refuse to have anything to do with the new £5 note I doubt it. Those that consider themselves vegetarian even though they eat fish probably won't understand what the fuss is about. Which reminds me, I must write to the Duke of York. In 2011, he hosted a dinner at Holyrood Palace. On the menu were a couple of dishes marked 'suitable for vegetarians'. One of them wasn't!

Fatrav
Lemon Pip

Re: Vegetarian Rebellion

Postby Fatrav » November 29th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Well any veggies that don't want their fivers can give em to me :D

Don't understand vegetarianism myself I thought we were supposed to be omnivores.
I was invited to a veggie bbq once it was awful.
Then I invited them back to ours for a meat only feast they got really hacked off.
So it seems to me that I'm supposed to be alright with their scoff but they didn't like mine! Double standards or what?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2016, 12:41 pm

The Indian Rebellion 1857 was started because of alleged animal fat contamination...

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » November 29th, 2016, 2:55 pm

I flew back from Australia once next to a militant vegan. She was very pretty and shortly after take off she introduced herself, smiled, flashed some cleavage and told me all about how the sight of people eating meat made her feel sick, so would I mind being a veggie for the duration of the flight?

Absolutely I said. She smiled and said thank you. And I said "you've misunderstood, I absolutely mind going veggie". She didn't speak to me again for the duration of the flight.

All 26 hours of it. All 6 meals (business class :) ) Including 2 rounds of bacon sarnies. Twice. Ah.

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » November 29th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Who eats 6 meals a day? LMAO

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » November 29th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Ewwww. I'm not a practising vegetarian or vegan but still, who thought putting foodstuffs into currency was a good idea? It may be easy enough to pick e.g. candles and soap that don't contain animal products but most of us have little choice as to using the national currency or not.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2016, 3:16 pm

There's probably less 'animal product' in the new notes than there is adhering to the old style one in circulation (think how many people eat a burger/sarnie, pull notes out etc)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 29th, 2016, 5:19 pm

wheypat wrote:I flew back from Australia once next to a militant vegan. She was very pretty and shortly after take off she introduced herself, smiled, flashed some cleavage and told me all about how the sight of people eating meat made her feel sick, so would I mind being a veggie for the duration of the flight?

Absolutely I said. She smiled and said thank you. And I said "you've misunderstood, I absolutely mind going veggie". She didn't speak to me again for the duration of the flight.

All 26 hours of it. All 6 meals (business class :) ) Including 2 rounds of bacon sarnies. Twice. Ah.

The sight of you eating meat doesn't make me feel sick. But the stench of it might very well, in the above scenario.

We've tamed the smokers. Now it should be time to free our public spaces from the most nauseous food smells. Like bacon.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2016, 5:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:The sight of you eating meat doesn't make me feel sick. But the stench of it might very well, in the above scenario.

We've tamed the smokers. Now it should be time to free our public spaces from the most nauseous food smells. Like bacon.

My erstwhile colleagues used to hold their lunchtime work meetings in a particularly right-on veggie caff next door to our offices. The place simply reeked of boiled millet (or was it alfalfa? don't tell me, I really don't want to know, but anyway it stank) - and so did our clothes after we'd been there for half an hour. Eventually I stopped attending the meetings, at which point they all got the hint and moved the meetings back into office time at work. Sanity was restored.

About that time, I often found myself driving to work behind a woman in a huge Volvo estate who had plastered her rear windscreen with the blood-spattered slogan "VEGETARIAN OR BARBARIAN". What was amusing was that she had two huge slavering dogs bouncing round in the back of the car, who were very probably being fed on whale meat. I somehow don't think it would have been mushrooms and goji berries. :lol:

BJ

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 29th, 2016, 6:31 pm

when i was working in france , we stayed some time at a chateu .

the countess (as she called herself) said she ate the same food that she gave to her dogs , which seemed to be mostly mashed up potato swede and carrots, no meat .

it may be worth noting that vegetarians who consume milk and eggs are still involved in the deaths of animals , ie unwanted male progeny , and of course barren cows.

:|

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » November 29th, 2016, 6:38 pm

jackdaww wrote:when i was working in france , we stayed some time at a chateu .

the countess (as she called herself) said she ate the same food that she gave to her dogs , which seemed to be mostly mashed up potato swede and carrots, no meat.

I hope you informed whatever the French equivalent of the RSPCA is.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 29th, 2016, 6:45 pm

LadyGagarin wrote:
jackdaww wrote:when i was working in france , we stayed some time at a chateu .

the countess (as she called herself) said she ate the same food that she gave to her dogs , which seemed to be mostly mashed up potato swede and carrots, no meat.

I hope you informed whatever the French equivalent of the RSPCA is.

===========================
the french havent done Royal anything for a while .

i would agree dogs should have a much more varied diet than the above , but apparently they dont need meat , as cats do .
. :|

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 29th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Regarding the OP, the answer is simple:

If you are a vegetarian or a vegan, do not eat the new plastic five pound notes!

Julian F. G. W.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 29th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Do vegans own nothing plastic, nor drive cars?
Perhaps they are unaware of the source of oil.
And then there's electricity.........

Crackpots. Still it has to be better than religious crackpots.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 29th, 2016, 11:12 pm

jackdaww wrote:it may be worth noting that vegetarians who consume milk and eggs are still involved in the deaths of animals , ie unwanted male progeny , and of course barren cows.

There's no right answer, and it's all about drawing a line amidst shades of grey. Vegans draw the strictest lines (some more than others), but they're still complicit in the agricultural deserts that produce our crops. I'm far from a vegan, but still draw a stricter line than most. But I daresay many Fools draw some kind of a line: anyone who goes for free-range over battery eggs is doing that.

From an ancient personal homepage of mine:
No Meat?

- or eggs.

Well, it's a hard decision. I'm not a real veggie: I do eat dairy products, and haven't the strength to quit. That makes me feel a hypocrite. I don't see meat as intrinsically wrong: I'm biologically an omnivore, and my two forward-facing eyes betray hunting genes. But what I cannot support are today's farming methods, breeding animals genetically-modified over many centuries solely to meet man's insatiable greed, and keeping them in unspeakable conditions for their entire lives prior to slaughter.

Well, in principle I should then devour the flesh of a sheep that's lived its life on the open moorland. And I should not eat the wheat that is grown by destroying the natural flora and fauna of so much of the world. It's hard to draw a satisfactory line...

Well, well, 1999, and a b***** great war of words! The xenophobic UK press as usual are digging up all the dirt on foul practice abroad (in this case French farmers). Excellent, but will they please be a little less partisan, and stop trying to pretend British farmers are any better? A plague on all their houses!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 30th, 2016, 9:01 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
jackdaww wrote:it may be worth noting that vegetarians who consume milk and eggs are still involved in the deaths of animals , ie unwanted male progeny , and of course barren cows.

There's no right answer, and it's all about drawing a line amidst shades of grey.

==========================

most of us draw lines , its hard to keep our hands clean ..

as a practicing omnivore i'm concerned about my health and husbandry of the planet and animals.

in practice this means growing as much veg as i can , ie potatoes , onions , leeks , greens , apples, soft fruit .

prefer lamb and beef , avoiding chicken and pork - these latter are also omniverous and will eat anything , so farmers will feed them anything.

fish , not farmed , and low in the food chain , sardines not tuna.

milk remains a problem due to antibiotics for one thing .

:(

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 30th, 2016, 9:44 am

Then you've got the quandary about vegetarian eggs. If you want to be sure that the chicken that laid it wasn't a meat eater*, then you can't have free range and will have to go for a caged one.

* - bugs, worms, mice etc.

Scott.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 30th, 2016, 9:59 am

worth noting re "free range birds" many think of this in terms of worms , bugs , insects , froglets etc , which is true .

but a very major aspect is they have access to GRASS , which they eat lots of , and is very conducive to their health , as well as procuring a strong orange yoke colour , due to the vitamin A in the GRASS.

While it is much better than being caged or barned , you will often see "free range" birds on almost bare earth , all the beneficial vegetation has been eaten.

:mrgreen:

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 30th, 2016, 11:21 am

Worth noting that you can buy vegetarian dog and cat foods. But, by heck it makes them fart. Can't be doing them any good.

88V8 wrote:Crackpots. Still it has to be better than religious crackpots.

It is a religion. An enforced moral code with no basis in logic, that the followers try to push onto others. Their gods are the cute fluffy animals who they consider too sacred to eat. No difference at all. And they have their dangerous extremist faction too, same as other religions.

I blame Disney. All their anthropomorphic walking talking animals have brainwashed children into thinking that animals are people. Really, did you ever meet a (Western) vegetarian who isn't a Disney fan?

gryff

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » November 30th, 2016, 11:41 am

LadyGagarin wrote:Ewwww. I'm not a practising vegetarian or vegan but still, who thought putting foodstuffs into currency was a good idea? It may be easy enough to pick e.g. candles and soap that don't contain animal products but most of us have little choice as to using the national currency or not.

Erm, how often do you eat tallow? Once a week, once a month, or perhaps less frequently?

Meatyfool..

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”