Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 24th, 2023, 2:49 pm

Leothebear wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Usually about 9 or 10 degrees. Keep the chill off (now that I can afford such things) in my old age.

If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I might occasionally turn it up a little. Last winter it went up to 13 a few times, though I deplore that kind of deviation from nature other than when a medical condition (the nasty lurgy I had in February 2005 being the prime case) saps the warm-blooded body's natural temperature self-regulation.

I'm guessing you don't have many guests then......

Not today.

Two yesterday. They were admiring the new door to the balcony - where we'd sit on days much colder than this when lockdown made meeting indoors illegal.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 24th, 2023, 7:28 pm

Leothebear wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Usually about 9 or 10 degrees. Keep the chill off (now that I can afford such things) in my old age.

If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I might occasionally turn it up a little. Last winter it went up to 13 a few times, though I deplore that kind of deviation from nature other than when a medical condition (the nasty lurgy I had in February 2005 being the prime case) saps the warm-blooded body's natural temperature self-regulation.

I'm guessing you don't have many guests then......

...or alternatively, plenty to huddle around and keep warm with? ;)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 25th, 2023, 12:04 am

Merry Christmas everybody.

Keep saying Oooh, keep posting your pictures of the day...,and keep rowing whenever you can.

Ted.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 25th, 2023, 11:22 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Midwinter. And it's 15 degrees!

Today it's right up to 15.5 degrees (the granularity of the instrument is 0.5 degrees).

Yesterday was apparently (according to t'wireless) the warmest ever xmas eve, so it's not just my new doors/windows!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 25th, 2023, 12:21 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Leothebear wrote:So what temperature is your thermostat set to then?

Pah, what a bunch of namby-pamby softies. Berlin, early seventies, a fresh wind coming straight across Poland from Siberia, and minus 20 for two weeks straight. Just walking to the supermarket could kill you with hypothermia if you didn't walk briskly and wear a borrowed fur of some sort around your head and neck. (Most people I knew did just that. Even the vegans. :D )

Indoors, I sometimes managed to get the temperature in my rooftop flat up to six or seven degrees, if my ancient coal stove could be kicked into life. But first I'd have to go down to the cellar and take a hammer to the ice on the coal briquettes that East Berlin had so thoughtfully exported to the land of the free. Each briquette was embossed with a hammer and compass, to distinguish it from the hammer and sickle on the Russian stuff.

Outside on the Wannsee lake, which formed part of the state line, the East German border guards were getting stroppy because they couldn't use their border patrol boats, because there was two feet of solid bloody ice. To say nothing of their two feet that were curling up with frostbite as they goose-stepped across the middle of the lake.

No wonder they called it the cold war. Tell that to kids these days and...... The difference, though, is that all of it happens to be true. :|

Happy New Year, all!

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 25th, 2023, 12:37 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Usually about 9 or 10 degrees. Keep the chill off (now that I can afford such things) in my old age.

Pah, what a bunch of namby-pamby softies. Berlin, early seventies, a fresh wind coming straight across Poland from Siberia, and minus 20 for two weeks straight. Just walking to the supermarket could kill you with hypothermia if you didn't walk briskly and wear a borrowed fur of some sort around your head and neck. (Most people I knew did just that. Even the vegans. :D )

Indoors, I sometimes managed to get the temperature in my rooftop flat up to six or seven degrees, if my ancient coal stove could be kicked into life. But first I'd have to go down to the cellar and take a hammer to the ice on the coal briquettes that East Berlin had so thoughtfully exported to the land of the free. Each briquette was embossed with a hammer and compass, to distinguish it from the hammer and sickle on the Russian stuff.

Outside on the Wannsee lake, which formed part of the state line, the East German border guards were getting stroppy because they couldn't use their border patrol boats, because there was two feet of solid bloody ice. To say nothing of their two feet that were curling up with frostbite as they goose-stepped across the middle of the lake.

No wonder they called it the cold war. Tell that to kids these days and...... The difference, though, is that all of it happens to be true. :|

Happy New Year, all!

BJ

Let’s get Christmas over before we think of New Year.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 25th, 2023, 1:05 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Usually about 9 or 10 degrees. Keep the chill off (now that I can afford such things) in my old age.

Pah, what a bunch of namby-pamby softies. Berlin, early seventies, a fresh wind coming straight across Poland from Siberia, and minus 20 for two weeks straight.
BJ

In my time in Nurnberg we had some cold weather. Indeed, the entire month of November never reached freezing - it was well below, 24/7 (later months were more varied). But my flat - on the 9th floor of a big block - remained comfortably warm due to German high-quality post-war construction.

I recollect some mild amusement as I left bare footprints in the snow between my block and the estate's (alas, indoor heated) swimming pool. But I was young back then. And even younger when I lived through the Swedish winter: my only recollection of cold was from its effects: the months of snow and of skating on the lake, before the rapid warm-up and the first swim in May.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 25th, 2023, 1:09 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

Happy New Year, all!

BJ

Sounds like time for 4 yorkshiremen to join this thread

--kiloran

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » December 26th, 2023, 7:03 am

Yeah well I died from hyperthermia in the Calgary winter of '86. I don't talk about it much.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 28th, 2023, 3:37 pm

I drove through Gash today.

Which was nice. It's just not the hole that some make it out to be.

(It's a wee village in Aberdeenshire :D )

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 30th, 2023, 10:02 am

Well, this one made my heart skip a momentary beat. :? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67846863
Eurostar services to and from London St Pancras International have been cancelled due to flooding in a tunnel as festive disruption continues.

Good news, though. It turns out it's due to a water leak under the Thames. Which sounds, erm, only slightly less alarming. :|

BJ

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 31st, 2023, 10:16 am

The BBC are reporting that Kiribati is celebrating New Year apparently. Amazing!

And Auckland and Sydney, Australia are soon going to be celebrating too! Even better, both will be letting off fireworks! That's truly, truly amazing.

I wonder who will be after those two?????

jeezus :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-67835121

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » December 31st, 2023, 11:41 am

Oh stop knocking the Beeb Ted!

I find it very helpful when there's a news item about smoking or drinking, where close ups of people exhaing smoke or guzzling pints are shown.
Without those I'd have no clue what it was all about. So thank you BBC.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 31st, 2023, 11:48 am

I still think we should move the dateline and make New Zealand and Australia last. Honestly, you'd think they had actually done something to win the right to be the first. Or better still, give it to Perth WA. Sydney is a stupid name anyway.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 31st, 2023, 12:20 pm

Okay, that's New Zealand out of the way. Well done, New Zealand, we all knew you had it in you.

And the next host nation for this international event is.... (waves envelope, opens it, beams broadly) - Qatar!!!!! :lol:

BJ

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 31st, 2023, 12:24 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Okay, that's New Zealand out of the way. Well done, New Zealand, we all knew you had it in you.

And the next host nation for this international event is.... (waves envelope, opens it, beams broadly) - Qatar!!!!! :lol:

BJ

That's very good :D

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 31st, 2023, 12:29 pm

Even, even better...give it to Gash, Aberdeenshire

Id love to see fireworks shooting out of there.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 5th, 2024, 4:20 pm

Well you win some, you lose some

So we get rid of 1 piece of shite

US fugitive Nicholas Rossi extradited from Scotland

(Although if he'd just claimed he was not well, we'd probably let him go on compassionate grounds)

....and we import a truckload of nasty devil dogs from England - probably because the SNP wants us to be 'different'.

Owners of American XL bully dogs have been warned against rehoming the breed in Scotland after they were banned in England and Wales.

UK government legislation made it illegal to breed, sell, or walk the animals in public without a lead and muzzle from 31 December.

However, restrictions on the animals are yet to be introduced in Scotland.

It comes after one man claimed to have driven 30 dogs across the border for rehoming purposes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67896590

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67885918

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 6th, 2024, 2:47 pm

Shite headline of the day

From today's Daily Excess.

Luke Littler to have nearly half of £200k prize taken away after World Championship final

It's tax. It pays for stuff.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersp ... nship-news

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 7th, 2024, 3:58 pm

I'm told that the person in a street who puts their correct rubbish bins out first on the correct day is called a 'binfuencer'

Every street has one!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”