Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Rick Parfitt R.I.P.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Rick Parfitt R.I.P.

Postby poundcoin » December 24th, 2016, 4:50 pm

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Rick Parfitt R.I.P.

Postby redsturgeon » December 24th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Indeed...let's hope Carrie Fisher manages to hang on in there!

John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 24th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Yep, what a shame. Not only good musicians, also just a bloody good fun to see live; they carried the whole audience with them - wonderful.

RIP

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » December 25th, 2016, 9:02 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Yep, what a shame. Not only good musicians, also just a bloody good fun to see live; they carried the whole audience with them - wonderful.

Yeah they actually were pretty good musicians, much maligned by those who deemed themselves too cool to be seen enjoying anything, but having seen them live many times since the 80's I can say that one thing is always guaranteed that they know how to please an audience. I'll miss the old boy, and I'm happy that he and Rossi managed to patch things up with Lancaster and Coghlan and I was lucky enough a few years ago to see them play a full 1970's era live set together again (with Wilko Jonstone in support before he recieved his repreive), a night of first class nostalgic entertainment.

Give me the Quo over a bunch of pretentious, posing art students any day of the week.

BH

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 25th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Wilko Johnson? He's is pretty off the wall [IME].
A couple of interesting vids on him on Youtube btw

But how did he x-over with the Quo? I wasn't aware of that kink. [curious]

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » December 26th, 2016, 12:40 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:But how did he x-over with the Quo? I wasn't aware of that kink. [curious]

To me it's not a surprising choice at all, there are many similarities with Status Quo and Wliko era Dr Feelgood, both at heart being very basic rock and roll bands without too many frills. In the seventies they occasionally played to the same crowds and were often appreciated by the same folk. As it happens back in the day Wilko used to give me the creeps with his weirdo stare and jerky movements, along with the sinister machine gunning mime, but when you listen to him talking he comes across as a genuinely warm and funny individual.

The set that Wilko played was beset with bad sound, the PA seemed too powerful, particularly the bass and it really muddied the clarity of the songs, his guitar radio pack had a fault and the roadie kept running on to fiddle with it and after about ten minutes of constant tweaking he eventually just ran on with a long cable and plugged him in the good old fashioned way. I'm not familiar with his own work, I have a promo pressing of 'Solid Senders', an album he put out after leaving Dr Feelgood but it didn't really do anything for me and he dropped off my radar for twenty or so years, he performed several Dr Feelgood songs and they were enjoyable even if the sound quality grated a bit,

The Quo set was great, (the sound had obviously been optomised for them because no problems there, but it was pretty loud) the set was packed with songs I hadn't heard them play since the early eighties like Backwater and Juniors Wailing. It was just like the Live album set from the Glasgow Apollo in 1976 right down to the intro from Jackie Lynton (couldn't say if he re-recorded it, they used the old one or if Jackie was hiding in the wings!). The whole evening was of course a nostalgia trip, close your eyes and you were back in the era of spangles and flares, and of course, Heavy Rock, before those punks and posers showed up to sneer at everything.

BH

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 26th, 2016, 8:20 pm

In brief.... I'm using 'two-digits' tapping a reply on my ancient back-up laptop whilst my PC is getting repaired. Hope to pick up on this topic when my PC gets returned in working condition later this week.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 27th, 2016, 7:28 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Indeed...let's hope Carrie Fisher manages to hang on in there!

John

Sadly she didn't - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38446753

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”