Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lady in the Van

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

The Lady in the Van

Postby nimnarb » December 25th, 2016, 4:44 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... in-the-van

The true story of Miss Shepherd, an eccentric woman of uncertain origins, who 'temporarily' parked her broken-down van in writer Alan Bennett's London driveway for 15 years.

Just seen this..........a "tour de force" of acting. Maggie Smith, Alex Jennings..just superb. If you want to get away from all the usual Xmas fluff, this is the one to watch.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: The Lady in the Van

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 25th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Indeed.

While the affluent and comfortable preach to us about things like homelessness, Bennett brings it to life in a beautifully-told true story.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » December 25th, 2016, 5:49 pm

I watched Grantchester last night thinking I could watch Lady in a Van on BBC iPlayer today. This was because I knew that ITV doesn't have subtitling on their Hub whereas BBC usually does - but not in this case grrr! I am too deaf to be able to follow any TV unless it is subtitled so I am quite restricted in my viewing possibilities. BBC is also not subtitling "Who do you think you are" on Player in this series - I don't understand why it is that a programme that is subtitled in direct viewing can't be subtitled in catch up :? .

Tricia

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » December 25th, 2016, 5:58 pm

6Tricia wrote:I watched Grantchester last night thinking I could watch Lady in a Van on BBC iPlayer today. This was because I knew that ITV doesn't have subtitling on their Hub whereas BBC usually does - but not in this case grrr! I am too deaf to be able to follow any TV unless it is subtitled so I am quite restricted in my viewing possibilities. BBC is also not subtitling "Who do you think you are" on Player in this series - I don't understand why it is that a programme that is subtitled in direct viewing can't be subtitled in catch up :? .

Tricia

Hi Tricia,

Hope you don't mind I have two suggestions.

1) Netflix - at lot of their films have subtitles. If you don't have a smart TV, you can use a box like the roku to convert your TV to a smart TV.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-3

2) There are hearing AIDS now that allow wireless connections to your TV via bluetooth.

https://www.bestsound-technology.co.uk/ ... ing/octiv/

My grandma uses the Siemens hearing AIDS and they're truly amazing, though she doesn't have the bluetooth connection.

Regards,
Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 26th, 2016, 9:43 am

Agreed, one of the most thought-provoking things I've seen all year, and beautifully acted throughout. I haven't read the original in more than twenty years (it was more of a forty-page essay, in Writing Home (1994) - and maybe I'll leave it that way, because the whole of the film's last 30 minutes seems to have been invented/appended for the stage play and film. But it all fits together so beautifully that it would seem like carping to protest at the liberties.

Great movie, and I'm somebody who doesn't even like movies all that much. Deffo worth a catch-up on iPlayer.

BJ

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Postby hermit100 » December 26th, 2016, 4:32 pm

I agree, I enjoyed it very much. Best thing I've seen this xmas - not that I have seen a lot but I'd been looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint.

Maggie Smith may be a bit typecast as 'cantankerous old bat' but she does do it extremely well. She really inhabited the role (and the clothes).

Sciocchina

Postby Sciocchina » January 9th, 2017, 11:41 pm

6Tricia wrote:I watched Grantchester last night thinking I could watch Lady in a Van on BBC iPlayer today. This was because I knew that ITV doesn't have subtitling on their Hub whereas BBC usually does - but not in this case grrr! I am too deaf to be able to follow any TV unless it is subtitled so I am quite restricted in my viewing possibilities. BBC is also not subtitling "Who do you think you are" on Player in this series - I don't understand why it is that a programme that is subtitled in direct viewing can't be subtitled in catch up :? .

Tricia

Hi Tricia

It's Sciocchina
I didn't know the boards had closed
I'm trying to find other oldies!
Just popped into old Motley to look into an important question I needed an answer to and got confused!
Speak again soon!
x

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”