Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

OMG I'm feeling old

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

OMG I'm feeling old

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 2nd, 2017, 1:42 am

Today being Christmas(ish), I was sitting and talking with family, and mentioned how I'd first been surprised to hear the question, on a radio quiz show, "Can you name the Beatles?" With further discussion, turned out none of us could remember the names of all the Spice Girls, and made me realise that time moves on. We then talked about my niece, who had no idea how a rotary dial phone worked, when faced with using one.

That leads me to the point of this posting. I was reading a BBC article, and it said the following, "No keyboard in the world could handle it (printing Prince's new "Symbol" name) although some newspapers found a way of adding it to their print settings thanks to a floppy disc (a memory stick, 1990s style) which was reluctantly mailed out by his label. "

I was going to make a wry comment about how the BBC are dumbing things down a bit too much - "floppy disc (a memory stick, 1990s style)" and then wondered. Is this another example of something that actually is remote to people nowadays?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: OMG I'm feeling old

Postby redsturgeon » January 2nd, 2017, 8:12 am

Too true.

I was playing my Hunky Dory LP yesterday (Xmas present) and when side one finished and I went to turn it over, my 15 year old son was absolutely confused.

"What do you mean, it has music on both sides of the disc?"

It did not compute.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 2nd, 2017, 9:07 am

Three years ago, I walked into our local photographic shop and asked the kid behind the counter for some help with choosing a roll of film. He had no idea whatsoever of what I was on about. His boss said that he thought there might still be a few boxes out in the storeroom. I decided not to buy.

BJ

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 2nd, 2017, 12:34 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Too true.

I was playing my Hunky Dory LP yesterday (Xmas present) and when side one finished and I went to turn it over, my 15 year old son was absolutely confused.

"What do you mean, it has music on both sides of the disc?"

It did not compute.

John

That's exacly what I mean. You talk about 'Hunky Dory', and I know what that is, and who its by, and might even be able to guess at one or two tracks on it. If there are any younger readers here, would they know that? Of course not - it would be a trip to Google , if they were that interested.

Welcome to LemonFool - the Old Folks Home for the intelligentsia.
Enough! I'm off to play with the crayons they gave me for Christmas.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 2nd, 2017, 1:15 pm

I often amaze the youth at my work with tails of loading games from a cassette and waiting 20mins for the priveledge. The response is often 'what's a cassette?'

I got a turntable for Christmas so I'm off to the loft to dig out my collection and give Adam ant a spin.

I popped into a small music store that sold LP's and found them at £20 a pop... Shan't be buying the sex pistols just yet then.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 2nd, 2017, 5:29 pm

stooz wrote:I often amaze the youth at my work with tails of loading games from a cassette and waiting 20mins for the priveledge. The response is often 'what's a cassette?'

I got a turntable for Christmas so I'm off to the loft to dig out my collection and give Adam ant a spin.

I popped into a small music store that sold LP's and found them at £20 a pop... Shan't be buying the sex pistols just yet then.

Check out the charity shops. At least 2 here have racks of LPs

Slarti

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 2nd, 2017, 6:53 pm

stooz wrote:I popped into a small music store that sold LP's and found them at £20 a pop... Shan't be buying the sex pistols just yet then.

I suspect that's modern re-pressings, as just about anything original from the era can be worth some very serious money these days. IIRC the original EMI pressing of either 'Anarchy' or 'GSTQ' might go for more than £20k/+ these days.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 2nd, 2017, 7:13 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
stooz wrote:I popped into a small music store that sold LP's and found them at £20 a pop... Shan't be buying the sex pistols just yet then.

I suspect that's modern re-pressings, as just about anything original from the era can be worth some very serious money these days. IIRC the original EMI pressing of either 'Anarchy' or 'GSTQ' might go for more than £20k/+ these days.

Indeed. I sold my original vinyl press of Electric Ladyland (with the controversial inside sleeve) to a friend for a fiver in the mid-1970's. He never sees me these days without telling me that he still has it, that it's worth more than a grand and that I'm a mug.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-jimi ... ands-2000/

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 2nd, 2017, 10:42 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Three years ago, I walked into our local photographic shop and asked the kid behind the counter for some help with choosing a roll of film. He had no idea whatsoever of what I was on about.

It would seem that some drinks have also become effectively obsolete. I was in a bar in London recently with some friends, one of whom was fairly elderly and who asked for a pink gin.

I must admit that even as I was ordering it I had my doubts, thinking it was probably the first one I'd ever ordered. When I gave the order to the young barman he asked me to repeat it, but then confidently strode off, so I assumed he knew what it was. However, I was slightly surprised not to receive the standard question these days as to what brand of gin I wanted.

I saw him looking at the various bottles of gin, and he then spoke to one of his colleagues who shook his head.

The barman then returned and said "I'm really sorry, we've run out of pink gin, is there another one you'd like?"

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2017, 1:00 am

Lootman wrote:I sold my original vinyl press of Electric Ladyland (with the controversial inside sleeve) ...

I gave my copy back but can't recall what was controversial about the inside sleeve but the double fold cover was memorable, even if Hendrix himself was apparently not in favour.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 3rd, 2017, 8:39 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I was going to make a wry comment about how the BBC are dumbing things down a bit too much - "floppy disc (a memory stick, 1990s style)" and then wondered. Is this another example of something that actually is remote to people nowadays?

Ooooh, the Save icon.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 3rd, 2017, 10:01 am

Clitheroekid wrote:It would seem that some drinks have also become effectively obsolete. I was in a bar in London recently with some friends, one of whom was fairly elderly and who asked for a pink gin. ... The barman then returned and said "I'm really sorry, we've run out of pink gin, is there another one you'd like?"

'Oh dear, ok, then I'll just have a gin+tonic with a dash of angostura bitters please' :lol:

[This is assuming the 'fairly elderly lady' wasn't drinking pink gin 'shots', ie without tonic, something IME about as bitter and lethal as a gin gimlet]

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 3rd, 2017, 10:45 am

But given the pace of technological change don't you find yourselves that you've forgotten things which used to be in common use? Three or four years ago at the back of a drawer I found a box of mysterious 'disks', not quite floppies but not quite anything else I could identify either. Finally I remembered that when I was first running my business - which I started in 1995 - we used to back up our invoicing system using a specific machine - the name of which I now can't recall - which used those disks. Looking back it was a nightmare, we allowed at least 30 to 45 minutes at the end of each invoicing/work on accounts session to back up onto disk after disk after disk. I'm not surprised I managed to forget that system!

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 3rd, 2017, 10:56 am

I still have my first mobile phone, the battery is about the same size as my iphone.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 3rd, 2017, 12:07 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:But given the pace of technological change don't you find yourselves that you've forgotten things which used to be in common use? Three or four years ago at the back of a drawer I found a box of mysterious 'disks', not quite floppies but not quite anything else I could identify either. Finally I remembered that when I was first running my business - which I started in 1995 - we used to back up our invoicing system using a specific machine - the name of which I now can't recall - which used those disks. Looking back it was a nightmare, we allowed at least 30 to 45 minutes at the end of each invoicing/work on accounts session to back up onto disk after disk after disk. I'm not surprised I managed to forget that system!

Was it this system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 3rd, 2017, 2:20 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Lootman wrote:I sold my original vinyl press of Electric Ladyland (with the controversial inside sleeve) ...

I gave my copy back but can't recall what was controversial about the inside sleeve but the double fold cover was memorable, even if Hendrix himself was apparently not in favour.

That's what I meant, sorry, the double fold inside cover with all the bare ladies . .

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 3rd, 2017, 2:37 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I still have my first mobile phone, the battery is about the same size as my iphone.

You should hang onto it, some early mobiles are now quite valuable collector's items - http://www.mobilephonehistory.co.uk/lis ... _guide.php

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Possibly not safe for family viewing if the first link below is clicked.

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

That's what I meant, sorry, the double fold inside cover with all the bare ladies . .

This is intriguing me. I can't recall if the Ladies were on the outside or the inside.

The image in this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Ladyland#Cover describes it as "The outer record sleeve UK cover ..." but elsewhere they also talk about the inside cover showing Hendrix and the Ladies, plus "while others sold it with the gatefold cover turned inside out". The last extract may explain you saying "inside cover". This might be further explained if your copy was a USA version, in that this article http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-hen ... ned-cover/ talks about changes made for the American record label "choosing the now famous red and yellow close-up of the guitarist’s face for the cover" shown here https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/El ... B0033AGPFS.

Anyone still have a copy of the UK version and/or know the answers?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 3rd, 2017, 4:15 pm

PinkDalek wrote:This is intriguing me. I can't recall if the Ladies were on the outside or the inside.

The image in this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Ladyland#Cover describes it as "The outer record sleeve UK cover ..." but elsewhere they also talk about the inside cover showing Hendrix and the Ladies, plus "while others sold it with the gatefold cover turned inside out". The last extract may explain you saying "inside cover". This might be further explained if your copy was a USA version, in that this article http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-hen ... ned-cover/ talks about changes made for the American record label "choosing the now famous red and yellow close-up of the guitarist’s face for the cover" shown here https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/El ... B0033AGPFS.

You may well be right. I remember it as being the inside sleeve but this was 40 years ago and I was probably stoned every time I played it. I'm fairly sure I had the UK version.

What also makes me feel old is recollections of visiting the original Virgin Records shop on Oxford Street, above a shoe shop if memory serves.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2017, 4:36 pm

Lootman wrote:You may well be right. I remember it as being the inside sleeve but this was 40 years ago and I was probably stoned every time I played it. I'm fairly sure I had the UK version.

I think I was more interested in the photos at the time and the other stuff would have come a little later for us (later than 1968 that is). Hendrix only grew on me further down the road, although some of the tracks never did.

What also makes me feel old is recollections of visiting the original Virgin Records shop on Oxford Street, above a shoe shop if memory serves.

We often used Cob Records mail order (established as long ago as 1967) but your memory appears to be correct:

https://www.virgin.com/entrepreneur/the ... first-shop

First real albums acquired (I think the Beatles albums were not mine) were Volunteers (which got a mention earlier in the thread) and Déjà Vu, so that would have been some time in 1970. Not yet 50 years ago and they still play well!

I'm still trying to find my Russell & Bromley green leather boots but the cheesecloth has all gone, due to shrinkage ...

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”