Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Beautiful Venus and Moon

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Beautiful Venus and Moon

Postby bungeejumper » January 3rd, 2017, 12:10 pm

Saw this yesterday evening, about 5.30 pm, while leaving the local panto with my granddaughter. Big crescent moon coming up close to Venus, absolutely stunning against the silhouettes of a nearby church and cypress trees. Hundreds of other people milling around outside the theatre, and nobody but us noticing the brightness or the beauty. We tried to take photos but the digital camera couldn't really cope with it. Pity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38492551 Catch it again this evening if you get the chance. It won't stay like this for long.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Beautiful Venus and Moon

Postby redsturgeon » January 3rd, 2017, 12:17 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Saw this yesterday evening, about 5.30 pm, while leaving the local panto with my granddaughter. Big crescent moon coming up close to Venus, absolutely stunning against the silhouettes of a nearby church and cypress trees. Hundreds of other people milling around outside the theatre, and nobody but us noticing the brightness or the beauty. We tried to take photos but the digital camera couldn't really cope with it. Pity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38492551 Catch it again this evening if you get the chance. It won't stay like this for long.

BJ

Yes I saw it the day before yesterday on my way to the golf club at about 4pm with my 15 year old son. He is doing photography at the moment and noticed it, I think for that reason. He asked what the bright star was. I told him it was not a star but Venus, also of course known as the evening star!

Because the sky was still blue you could make out the shadow of the moon against it with the bright crescent looking very beautiful. It was a nice shared moment between father and son, as yours was with your granddaughter. To be treasured, these moments are fleeting and all too few.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 3rd, 2017, 12:36 pm

More details here. US website, slightly different planetary perspective I suppose, but good.

http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-venus- ... ter-sunset

SlickReturns

Postby SlickReturns » January 3rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Saw this yesterday evening, about 5.30 pm ...

Here in London, we don't often get a good view of objects in the sky, because of all the light pollution, but an exceptionally clear night on 22 December 2016 produced a beautiful crescent moon in the SSW along with a brilliant Venus.

Yesterday, they were spectacularly bright once again and I thought I could just make out Mars, which was very much fainter of course.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 8th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”