Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Alas poor Gambia...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Alas poor Gambia...

Postby Beerpig » January 18th, 2017, 6:13 pm

I listen to the news and converse on social media with my friends out there and weep for the people of Gambia, I really do.
I was only in Senegambia a few weeks ago just before the elections. Tension was understandably high then because the word on the street suggested this would be a more 'real' election than previous ones because the various opposition parties had united behind a single candidate. The president Jammeh who had ruled since a coup in 1994 didn't take the challenge seriously enough and he lost, only just, but fair and square. He initially concedes defeat but then what happens? He realises he doesn't want to go after all because like so many other people who relished having power (and relished is the right description) he convinces himself that it is God's will he was inaugurated in the first place, his people need him and anyone who thinks differently is a traitor to the people. This hanging-onto-power trait is manifest in Africa but there are striking examples of similar behaviour closer to home where over the years PM's whose time was clearly up wouldn't recognise it eg Heath, Thatcher (I fight on, I fight to win) Blair (kicking and squealing) Brown (over promoted in first place but then wouldn't go).

What's the current outgoing president, Ya-Ya Jammeh like? Well ask yourself who in their right mind would call himself and insist on being addressed as His Excellency Sheikh Professor Alhaji Dr. Yahya Abdul-Azziz Jemus Junkung Jammeh? What sort of person would order the arrest and disappearance of dozens of political opponents and keep others languishing under indefinite detention for months or years without charge or trial? What sort of person can seriously claim to be able to cure HIV/AIDS and asthma with a concoction of natural herbs known only to himself? The reality is that far from being a sheikh, professor, doctor, or some kind of ''excellency'' Jammeh is a self obsessed, obsessive, greedy, gluttonous murderous despot whose 20 year legacy of misery to his poor, poor people will reach its zenith with the now imminent civil disturbances and the destruction of the country's invaluable tourist industry- and all because the fat bastard wouldn't stand down.

Its a truly awful situation for the Gambians. These people have nothing as it is and having just got over the financial ramifications of the West's misplaced perception of the ebola crisis (which was nothing to do with them) to now lose the tourist industry overnight which accounts for 20% GNP will absolutely cripple them.

JustLetOneOff

Re: Alas poor Gambia...

Postby JustLetOneOff » January 18th, 2017, 7:42 pm

An excellent post. Have a mental rec!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 18th, 2017, 8:03 pm

I was thinking of you Beerpig as I was watching the news tonight with my 15 year old. When he saw the incumbent president he laughed and said he looked like the guy from The Book of Mormon...ie the archetypal African dictator.I do hope he does the decent thing and steps down to allow a smooth transistion of power but history does not bode well. As usual it is the ordinary folk who are just trying to get on with their lives who suffer. Who said that those who seek power are the least likely to use it well.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 19th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Having heard quite a lot of coverage yesterday and today, I have two big questions. The first is obvious (though doubtless more complex than I can formulate), the second perplexing:

1. Where do Gambia's own military/security forces stand?
  2. Why isn't Question 1 top of the Agenda for the mainstream media reporting the story? Regardless of how much they can or can't find out, they should be asking!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 19th, 2017, 4:51 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Having heard quite a lot of coverage yesterday and today, I have two big questions. The first is obvious (though doubtless more complex than I can formulate), the second perplexing:

1. Where do Gambia's own military/security forces stand?
  2. Why isn't Question 1 top of the Agenda for the mainstream media reporting the story? Regardless of how much they can or can't find out, they should be asking!

Off to one side, apparently http://www.nation.co.ke/news/africa/Soldiers-wont-fight-back/1066-3619710-11e6wqt/

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 19th, 2017, 4:51 pm

I know this isn't very sensitive, but I had to laugh at the British holidaymakers on the BBC 10 o'clock news last night, who said that they were outraged at being airlifted out when there was nothing at all to worry about. And all the while, troops were massing on the Senegalese border as the hard man prepared to stand his ground.....

BJ

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » January 19th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Barrow has just arrived at the Gambian Embassy in Senegal, where he is to be sworn in in a few minutes. Unfortunately, dressed all in white (including the hat) he looks just like Jammeh.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » January 19th, 2017, 5:47 pm

I do think this is an area where the Americans have it right - the president/prime minister should be limited to x number of years (where x is a reasonable number (say <=10 years)). If you know from day 1 that you will be replaced it should help to keep you honest.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 19th, 2017, 5:53 pm

wheypat wrote:I do think this is an area where the Americans have it right - the president/prime minister should be limited to x number of years (where x is a reasonable number (say <=10 years)). If you know from day 1 that you will be replaced it should help to keep you honest.

Very true. And British Prime Ministers all go barking mad at about 10 years too. So 2 terms should be enough everywhere.

I said often during the "arab spring", that you don't have democracy because you vote a government IN. You should only celebrate when you can vote a government OUT. Don't think any arab nation has managed that yet(??)

gryff

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » January 20th, 2017, 9:00 am

wheypat wrote:I do think this is an area where the Americans have it right - the president/prime minister should be limited to x number of years (where x is a reasonable number (say <=10 years)). If you know from day 1 that you will be replaced it should help to keep you honest.

Most African countries do elect their presidents for a limited number of terms. But sadly, when they get a taste of power, they often decide to extend their term of office, either unilaterally or by persuading their parliament that it's a Good Idea.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 20th, 2017, 10:54 am

And that would work with someone who took power in a coup?

Slarti

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » January 20th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Slarti wrote:

And that would work with someone who took power in a coup?

Slarti

Of course not - but in functioning (or semi functioning) democracies it would. But as gryff pointed out for us it could have prevented Thacther's 3rd term and Blair's.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » January 22nd, 2017, 11:58 am

Brilliant news for Gambia as the previous president has now left the country, thanks to one of :-
a) His own conscience telling him it was the right, decent and honourable thing to do.
b) The presence of a West African army in the country which dwarfed Gambia's army, combined with Gambia's army not wanting to get involved.

A success story of African nations dealing with their own problems and sorting them out.
Really makes us think that we should visit Gambia for a holiday, to help repair the damage to tourism the outgoing president has already caused.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 22nd, 2017, 2:11 pm

zico wrote:A success story of African nations dealing with their own problems and sorting them out.

One certainly gets the impression the region is making some efforts to shed its basketcase image. And (as of now) they seem to have made a good job of it on this occasion.

Mind you, if you look back at Blair's wars, the Sierra Leone intervention was the only one that appears to have made the situation better rather than worse. Something about the region?

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 23rd, 2017, 12:15 am

zico wrote:Brilliant news for Gambia as the previous president has now left the country, thanks to one of :-
a) His own conscience telling him it was the right, decent and honourable thing to do.
b) The presence of a West African army in the country which dwarfed Gambia's army, combined with Gambia's army not wanting to get involved.

c) The 9.2 million Sterling he reportedly snaffled from the Country over the last fortnight.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 23rd, 2017, 10:22 am

mswjr wrote:c) The 9.2 million Sterling he reportedly snaffled from the Country over the last fortnight.

Sounds like by far the least expensive way this was going to end. I'd be tempted to look at it as a cheap payoff.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 23rd, 2017, 10:34 am

I know one shouldn't make facetious jokes at times like these, but the news that Mr Fatty is complaining about what Mr Jammeh did comes as some sort of a light relief. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38714007

Jammeh's "grab the money and run" is in a long tradition, of which Bokassa, Idi Amin and Nigeria's Sani Abacha were only the worst exponents. Doubly sad, considering how desperately poor the country already is.

BJ

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 23rd, 2017, 10:34 am

UncleEbenezer wrote: the Sierra Leone intervention was the only one that appears to have made the situation better rather than worse. Something about the region?

The yanks invasion of Grenada worked out ok too.

The clear message of history is that if you're going to interfere, you need to do so with overwhelming force. Foreign tinkering (a la Syria) just prolongs the fighting and makes life worse for everyone involved.

Gryff

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 23rd, 2017, 11:06 am

redsturgeon wrote:
mswjr wrote:c) The 9.2 million Sterling he reportedly snaffled from the Country over the last fortnight.

Sounds like by far the least expensive way this was going to end. I'd be tempted to look at it as a cheap payoff.

John

Was that irony as well?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 23rd, 2017, 12:05 pm

mswjr wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

Was that irony as well?

Not irony just pragmatism.

John

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”