Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Trump

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Trump

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2017, 8:48 am

stooz wrote:Rebecca Ferguson was asked to sing but she said only if she could sing a protest song.

Not just any song, but Strange Fruit. Trump said he wasn't going to let anybody call him that in public.

Agree about the rendering of Star Spangled Banner. Not exactly Jessye Norman, was it?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2017, 9:28 am

I see the transcript of the speech is now out there. So I can quote (cut&paste) from it:
We are one nation - and their pain is our pain. Their dreams are our dreams; and their success will be our success. We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny.

Googling the obvious historical echo[1], I find not merely basic information about the widespread use of the slogan, but a two-and-a-half minute fragment on youtube that echoes a whole lot more of Trump's sentiment: all the elites have done nothing for the ordinary people, but the Party is the People, and their pain is our pain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtdqp30dJlE

[1] Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer. One people, one nation, one leader.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

So what do you do if you're the president, and your Twitter page needs a picture to show how many millions of people turned out for your inauguration?

Easy. Steal one from Obama's ceremony instead. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38698837. And then delete it when somebody notices the deception.

Welcome to the new age of Trump truth, people. Better get used to it. Like the man keeps telling you, it's because he's smart. :shock:

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2017, 10:25 am

bungeejumper wrote:Welcome to the new age of Trump truth, people.

BJ

We got used to that. Blair was the consummate Liar, and of course Dubya presented a less-subtle face of it in the US. After those, Trump's truth is almost a breath of fresh air.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2017, 11:24 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Blair was the consummate Liar, and of course Dubya presented a less-subtle face of it in the US. After those, Trump's truth is almost a breath of fresh air.

Well, yes and no. Blair's lie about Iraq was enormous, and eventually catastrophic in the long term. But Trump is carpet-bombing us with thousands of small, trivial and blatantly obvious daily lies like these, in the apparent hope that we'll get used to it. While all the while keeping up his diversionary flak about "fake news" from everyone else.

Once we get used to not expecting truth from our politicians - or at least, not demanding it - we are all doomed. Trump is long-term corrosive.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2017, 11:37 am

bungeejumper wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Blair was the consummate Liar, and of course Dubya presented a less-subtle face of it in the US. After those, Trump's truth is almost a breath of fresh air.

Well, yes and no. Blair's lie about Iraq was enormous, and eventually catastrophic in the long term. But Trump is carpet-bombing us with thousands of small, trivial and blatantly obvious daily lies like these, in the apparent hope that we'll get used to it. While all the while keeping up his diversionary flak about "fake news" from everyone else.

Once we get used to not expecting truth from our politicians - or at least, not demanding it - we are all doomed. Trump is long-term corrosive.

BJ

Sorry, no, these minor lies are much more widespread, and get trivialised with labels like when Clinton "misspoke" (i.e. told a blatant lie about something that kind-of glamourised her but was unimportant).

Blair didn't just lie about Iraq, he lied routinely about more-or-less everything. He was a far more accomplished Liar than Trump. Or Bush, Brown, Cameron, May, etc. Or even Goebbels.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2017, 11:43 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Blair didn't just lie about Iraq, he lied routinely about more-or-less everything. He was a far more accomplished Liar than Trump. Or Bush, Brown, Cameron, May, etc. Or even Goebbels.

Blair was a bigger liar than Goebbels? Are you sure you want to stand by that comment?

BJ

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » January 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm

I like trump.
Its about time there was a businessman in the White House and the man is a winner.
He should at least be given a chance.
I wonder how many of these people taking to the streets to protest about him actually voted themselves?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2017, 6:29 pm

Snorvey wrote:.....and don't they make the new Prez do an awful lot of churchy based things?

"No, no, you don't understand. I'm a businessman, and I do great deals. And I've done this deal with God. I don't interfere with his territory, and in return he doesn't interfere with mine. So suck that up, Pope Francis, you're out of order."

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 21st, 2017, 7:04 pm

What really makes me smile though is that the worlds gratest democracy has millions out on the streets protesting against the outcome of a democratic vote.....

It's a practice run for the Brexit Article 50 service of notice to terminate.

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 21st, 2017, 7:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Welcome to the new age of Trump truth, people.

BJ

We got used to that. Blair was the consummate Liar, and of course Dubya presented a less-subtle face of it in the US. After those, Trump's truth is almost a breath of fresh air.

Blair was indeed. His government lied for years about their immigration policy and the affect it was having on this Country - 'we are still estimating only low tens of thousands per annum' we were told. While behind closed doors, they were planning to 'rub the Right's nose in diversity and render their arguments irrelevant', as ten times that figure arrived and kept arriving from the Accession Countries.
Criminally, the whole Left then latched on to the policy (still alive and well) of shouting down any questioning as racist, xenophobic, and...blah blah. Even poor old Mrs Duffy.

Who knows if general sentiment toward the EU would now be different if Blair hadn't tried to be too clever by half and fool the nation. I suspect there is an element of feeling hoodwinked within the current negative sentiment toward the EU. (Which of course, is not the EU's fault - in this particular case)

And that's just one lie from the cocky little charlatan.

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » January 31st, 2017, 4:33 pm

Biggles wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Drain the swamp?

I never did understand what that phrase meant, but his fans appeared to lap it up.

Originally I thought it was vaguely something to do with getting rid of establishment figures, graft, nepotism etc but, as he's appointed all his relatives to government posts and completely got rid of his business interests (to his family), I'm now completely unsure what he meant.

I recall when working for a multinational at a meeting where an American delegate was asked to comment on the lack of progress on one project, his reply in a folksy Southern accent was "It's difficult to remember you are trying to drain the swamp when you are up to your ass in alligators and all you can think about is keeping your balls out of the water." which struck me as a reasonably graphic summary of the problems at the time.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”