Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

PO Scandal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Re: PO Scandal

Postby the0ni0nking » January 11th, 2024, 9:31 pm

I watched the testimony of Stephen Bradshaw today.

I was struck by a number of things:

(i) clearly, he's not a technical IT expert - he was at the frontline trying to get to the bottom of why discrepancies had arisen (on the false assumption that the IT system wasn't full of bugs)

(ii) whomever was questioning him came across as a right ####. Focussing in on little bits of language used which "us up North" treat as common parlance.

(iii) I got the impression the inquiry was trying to hang him out to dry - which probably is where my first two points come from. He didn't come across to me as someone fundamentally dishonest. More someone who'd been assured of the integrity of the system and it's transactional recording

(iv) there was a fair bit of discussion about whether certain cases should have been disclosed to the defence teams of future individuals prosecuted. But there was no debate as to whether the discrepancies/phantom transactions were occurring in the same elements of the system or different - if the same, then clrealy that should be disclosed but if different then that's a slightly different perspective.

The whole thing felt to me a bit like the COVID inquiry - blame this guy to make us all feel better when in reality there were many other actors involved.

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » January 11th, 2024, 9:46 pm

£485 million public money for Fujitsu over next 12 years … due diligence no more?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 04790.html

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 11th, 2024, 9:58 pm

mc2fool wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote::
Does not seem like good design\programming.

RC

And that seems like quite an understatement. :D

That Computer Weekly article can be read in full on the Wayback machine.

"The Post Office’s Horizon IT system should “never have seen the light of day” and bosses at supplier Fujitsu allowed it to be rolled out into the Post Office network despite being told it was not fit for purpose, according to a senior developer who worked on the project before it went live.
:
“Everybody in the building by the time I got there knew it was a bag of s**t”, he said. “It had gone through the test labs God knows how many times, and the testers were raising bugs by the thousand.”
:
Central to his allegation is that Horizon’s Epos system was initially built with “no design documents, no test documents, no peer reviews, no code reviews, no coding standards”.
" :shock:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210219095756/https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252496560/Fujitsu-bosses-knew-about-Post-Office-Horizon-IT-flaws-says-insider

The page has at the bottom a (very) long list of articles since they first reported on it in 2009, and their very first, with case studies of some now familiar names is at: https://web.archive.org/web/20130127131005/http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240089230/Bankruptcy-prosecution-and-disrupted-livelihoods-Postmasters-tell-their-story

I do think there's a big, awkward, question about how and when it changed!
I know it's been about 30 years since I coded with a stack that wasn't under complete change control :o

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » January 11th, 2024, 10:18 pm

88V8 wrote:I have no difficulty relating to that. Years ago I was involved in departmental implementation of a new system, and speaking to the programmers about our particular requirements, I found that there were multiple ways of telling the system to do something, that not all the programmers recognised all the ways, and that the programme was poorly remmed if at all, so there were multiple possibilities that new programmers arriving later would fail to understand the programme.
The remming got worse as the job end neared and contract programmers scampered for the exit.

I imagine this is a pretty common situation, and in part at least accounts for the difficulties of adding new arms n legs to legacy systems.

V8

@88V8
Slightly OT but can I ask what remming is? I was involved in programming for 40 years and haven't come across the term.

And when I ask Bard, I get this ...
I'm unable to provide information about "remming" as it's a sexually suggestive term. I'm trained on a massive dataset of text and code, and I strive to be informative and comprehensive while adhering to ethical and safety guidelines.

Would you like me to answer a different question?

:o

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 11th, 2024, 10:23 pm

elkay wrote:Slightly OT but can I ask what remming is? I was involved in programming for 40 years and haven't come across the term.

Short for remarking.

A descriptive line of text inserted between coding lines, prefaced with a character which makes whatever is running tne program skip the line.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 11th, 2024, 10:25 pm

elkay wrote:
88V8 wrote:I have no difficulty relating to that. Years ago I was involved in departmental implementation of a new system, and speaking to the programmers about our particular requirements, I found that there were multiple ways of telling the system to do something, that not all the programmers recognised all the ways, and that the programme was poorly remmed if at all, so there were multiple possibilities that new programmers arriving later would fail to understand the programme.
The remming got worse as the job end neared and contract programmers scampered for the exit.

I imagine this is a pretty common situation, and in part at least accounts for the difficulties of adding new arms n legs to legacy systems.

V8

@88V8
Slightly OT but can I ask what remming is? I was involved in programming for 40 years and haven't come across the term.

And when I ask Bard, I get this ...
I'm unable to provide information about "remming" as it's a sexually suggestive term. I'm trained on a massive dataset of text and code, and I strive to be informative and comprehensive while adhering to ethical and safety guidelines.

Would you like me to answer a different question?

:o

??

REM indicates a "remark"/comment in basic

One of the languages I thought it was nigh impossible to have avoided
- despite it making me want to peel my eyes apart

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 11th, 2024, 10:29 pm

elkay wrote:Slightly OT but can I ask what remming is? I was involved in programming for 40 years and haven't come across the term.

Some computer languages code comments by putting the code word REM in front of the statement which is not to be actioned. I seem to think that was a feature in versions of BASIC. Other languages had similar methods. In FORTRAN it was a C in the first column.

Foe example
https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/REM

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » January 12th, 2024, 12:02 am

Lol - I've always used copious comments, and insisted on it from others - but never heard it called remming! Brings back memories of using REM in BASIC on my Dragon 32. And in COBOL74 on a Honeywell mainframe, wasting so much time making the boxes of asterisks around my comments look tidy :lol:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 12th, 2024, 12:08 am

elkay wrote:Lol - I've always used copious comments, and insisted on it from others - but never heard it called remming! Brings back memories of using REM in BASIC on my Dragon 32. And in COBOL74 on a Honeywell mainframe, wasting so much time making the boxes of asterisks around my comments look tidy :lol:

Dragon 32 now you're talking!
Did you have the Star Trek game?
I say that... but it was called Dragon Trek (I think for licensing reasons)
...seemed like the future to younger me though!

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 12th, 2024, 12:20 am

oldapple wrote:£485 million public money for Fujitsu over next 12 years … due diligence no more?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 04790.html

Would that be a huge education contract for the company whose former CEO is married to the Education Secretary ? Move along, nothing to see here !

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 12th, 2024, 12:38 am

mc2fool wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote::
Does not seem like good design\programming.

RC

And that seems like quite an understatement. :D

Or on Computer Weekly's own website: https://www.computerweekly.com/news/224 ... heir-story

There's now a history of several hundred articles from them: https://www.computerweekly.com/feature/ ... ed-to-know

.. which is a big change from the vacuous Computer Weekly as I recollect it from my early years in IT in the 1980s. Kudos to them for moving from a useless job-ads rag to producing worthwhile contents.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 12th, 2024, 12:49 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
mc2fool wrote:And that seems like quite an understatement. :D

Or on Computer Weekly's own website: https://www.computerweekly.com/news/224 ... heir-story

It asks me for a "corporate email address" to read it, and it seems I'm not the only one. viewtopic.php?p=627399#p627399

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 12th, 2024, 1:12 am

mc2fool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Or on Computer Weekly's own website: https://www.computerweekly.com/news/224 ... heir-story

It asks me for a "corporate email address" to read it, and it seems I'm not the only one. viewtopic.php?p=627399#p627399

If you clear cookies and appear as a new visitor, it should let you in.

Just tested. On the 'puter I used earlier to read some of their articles, I get the gatekeeper. On this (different) computer, it lets me straight in, as when I frst visited on t'other 'puter.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 13th, 2024, 12:23 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:I watched the testimony of Stephen Bradshaw today.
(i)... he was at the frontline trying to get to the bottom of why discrepancies had arisen (on the false assumption that the IT system wasn't full of bugs)
(ii) whomever was questioning him came across as a right ####. Focussing in on little bits of language used which "us up North" treat as common parlance.
(iii) I got the impression the inquiry was trying to hang him out to dry - which probably is where my first two points come from. He didn't come across to me as someone fundamentally dishonest. More someone who'd been assured of the integrity of the system and it's transactional recording

I also watched Bradshaw being questioned - and beg to disagree.

He came across to me as someone who desperately wanted to keep his job (he is still a PO employee).

His repeated assurances that he had no knowledge of Horizon's failings, and especially its backdoors that allowed branch balances to be amended remotely by Fujitsu, rang hollow. He repeated merely that he hadn't been 'told officially from above'. But this chap is not just any PO employee: his job was fraud investigator, and he knew that the outcome of his investigations could send someone to jail.

And in 2012 he signed a witness statement prepared by the PO's lawyers Cartwright King that he had absolute confidence in the integrity of Horizon - when he admittedly hadn't. Which sounded to me as if someone more senior was saying "sign, or it will be reflected in your appraisal", or this was his (reasonable) assumption.

The only criticism I have (and I agree with the0ni0nking here) is of inquiry counsel Julian Blake repeatedly excoriating him for responding to the comment by one SPM that she arrived late so gave the keys to a colleague with 'You should get up earlier". Blake pressed him pointlessly as to whether it was 'his job to give lifestyle advice'.
Otherwise, the questioning was reasonable, measured and sober - unlike SPM's stated experiences with Bradshaw's own questioning of them.
Chickens coming home to roost?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 13th, 2024, 1:54 pm

Earlier an example was quoted of the sale of phantom stamps. But doesn't the Post Office deal with much larger cash payouts such as the State Pension and other benefits that could by paid in cash by local offices? If the computer system managed to forget that such payments had been made, that could lead to the size of cash discrepencies being quoted. Unlike with stamps or other physical items, a stock take wouldn't pick up the malfunction.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 13th, 2024, 2:59 pm

I assume that the PO had people inspecting PO branch accounts before the introduction of Horizon and that a few postmasters were dishonest and prosecuted. So, I wonder how many were prosecuted each year before Horizon, does anyone know? It must have been extremely obvious to some at the PO that there was a huge increase (I assume) in the number of 'faulty' accounts. Did none of these people question whether their accounting checks were so poor prior to Horizon that many postmasters were getting away with fraud, or on the other hand, that there might have been serious flaws with Horizon? Surely someone must have asked this question, but perhaps didn't want to see the obvious implication. Fortunately Mr. Bates had a background in IT or things might have turned out differently.

RC

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » January 13th, 2024, 3:12 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I assume that the PO had people inspecting PO branch accounts before the introduction of Horizon and that a few postmasters were dishonest and prosecuted. So, I wonder how many were prosecuted each year before Horizon, does anyone know? It must have been extremely obvious to some at the PO that there was a huge increase (I assume) in the number of 'faulty' accounts. Did none of these people question whether their accounting checks were so poor prior to Horizon that many postmasters were getting away with fraud, or on the other hand, that there might have been serious flaws with Horizon? Surely someone must have asked this question, but perhaps didn't want to see the obvious implication. Fortunately Mr. Bates had a background in IT or things might have turned out differently.

RC

I think the powers-that-be at the PO just saw Horizon as validating their suspicions so did not question it

bh

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 13th, 2024, 3:23 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:I watched the testimony of Stephen Bradshaw today.

I was struck by a number of things:

(i) clearly, he's not a technical IT expert - he was at the frontline trying to get to the bottom of why discrepancies had arisen (on the false assumption that the IT system wasn't full of bugs)

I have to confess that I too got irritated by the barrister - if it had been me I'd have given him what for!

He spent so much time (didn't he ask about this same point three times?) over the pointless quibble of Bradshaw "not being qualified to give work advice in the course of his job" that I started to think "These people are paid by the hour aren't they?"

I guess he was trying to demonstrate the interviews were oppressive.

I thought a much more significant point was made at the latter part of Bradshaw's interview, where he pointed out that from about 2010(?) the PO had switched to requiring people sign a document absolving Horizon of any errors (how could the person signing possibly be in a position to know?) in exchange for them being let off the hook.

the0ni0nking wrote:(iii) I got the impression the inquiry was trying to hang him out to dry - which probably is where my first two points come from. He didn't come across to me as someone fundamentally dishonest. More someone who'd been assured of the integrity of the system and it's transactional recording

My 'theory' is that the PO likely knew (or thought) there was fraud at Post Offices, likely there was, and thought Horizon would fix it (cf. Supermarkets and checkout laser scanners) and reveal the scale of it. When they got the data from Horizon they must have thought: "Great! Got them bang to rights now." This went unchecked and unverified and was passed down the line to people like Bradshaw with the message "Go get 'em!"

the0ni0nking wrote:(iv) there was a fair bit of discussion about whether certain cases should have been disclosed to the defence teams of future individuals prosecuted. But there was no debate as to whether the discrepancies/phantom transactions were occurring in the same elements of the system or different - if the same, then clrealy that should be disclosed but if different then that's a slightly different perspective.

The whole thing felt to me a bit like the COVID inquiry - blame this guy to make us all feel better when in reality there were many other actors involved.

The thing that astonishes me - from the Computer Weekly article - is that PO subpostmasters were unable to check the daily transactions for themselves after Horizon, which they would have been able to do with the manual paper system used previously. Whyever not? Horizon just logged transaction electronically, so there has to have been a recording of all transaction for anything to work. Where were they? Why could subpostmasters not go over them at the end of the day? What happened to them?
Last edited by XFool on January 13th, 2024, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 13th, 2024, 3:25 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I assume that the PO had people inspecting PO branch accounts before the introduction of Horizon and that a few postmasters were dishonest and prosecuted. So, I wonder how many were prosecuted each year before Horizon, does anyone know?

This is a very interesting question, that I have also wondered about. Indeed, how was such dishonesty discovered before Horizon?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 13th, 2024, 3:34 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I assume that the PO had people inspecting PO branch accounts before the introduction of Horizon and that a few postmasters were dishonest and prosecuted. So, I wonder how many were prosecuted each year before Horizon, does anyone know?

RC

To answer my own question:

We do know that prior to Horizon being installed in the post office network, there were around five prosecutions a year. That suddenly jumped to about 60 a year.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2024-01-10/debates/3DDD9684-C08D-4E5E-AF73-CF85839412AB/PostOfficeHorizonScandal

RC

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”