Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Welcome to Beerpig's snug!

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Welcome to Beerpig's snug!

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Here's a copy of BP's opening post on his TMF board, and I do hope he doesn't mind me duplicating it as the first post on this new board too. I think for any other post to be the first one would have been a tragedy given his great 'Landlord-ship' of the old snug -

Greetings fellow fools!

After several years of lurking on various fools boards (and making a nuisence of myself on one or two with o/t posts) TMF have kindly thrown me the keys to my very own place ie Beerpig's Snug!
Absolutely brilliant- especially as I spend several hours a day in a public house what better than to have my own place!
Hurrah!

'Beerpig's Snug' is situated under the dusty brick arches next to the railway station of a small Northern town. I couldn't believe it when the place came up - a real traditional 'snug' type boozer with frosted windows, wooden panelling and a coal fire going in the corner in front of which lies Domino our black labrador.
There's a game of darts going on behind me and several tables are rattling with dominoes. The racing is on TV in the corner and the bar serves three different types of bitter,(including Theakstons and Tetley) one house mild and one Austrailian larger.

We are a situated a long way from the City and no one here knows much about shares or financial matters other, perhaps than the price of a pint. That's right, the 'Snug' is just an old type of pub bar where its customers gather to have a really good drink and sing around the piano and to chat about vitally important topics such as sportsbetting music, horse racing, football, experiences of youth, friends, being crossed in love, adventures and anything and everything to do with lifes rich tapestry! It is also a bar where fools can air problems and ask for advice from the regulars and where smoking is permitted and getting roaring drunk is encouraged subject only to the usual TMF rules about bad taste and swearing too loudly!

Welcome all.
We open on Friday night.
First round on the house!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Welcome to Beerpig's snug!

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Hear hear!
I find it a bit odd posting on this site. Guess I'll get used to it.
We really need Simsqu to post something offensive about courgettes - then it'll feel like home

Wondergirly
Lemon Pip

Postby Wondergirly » November 4th, 2016, 7:59 pm

I'll have a small sherry with you AC while we wait for the regulars to turn up.

W

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Wondergirly wrote:I'll have a small sherry with you AC while we wait for the regulars to turn up.

W

Cheers!
Are you Windsor-resident Wondergirly, or am I confusing you with someone else?

mgmidget1500

Postby mgmidget1500 » November 4th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Gosh...two posts in one day.... hello fellow sniggers.

MG

(yay...you can edit!!!!)

Farebrother

Postby Farebrother » November 4th, 2016, 9:07 pm

It's beginning to feel like home over here at the Motley Lemon.

ATB

Farebro'

ponym

Postby ponym » November 4th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Tool me up barman, I'm gaspin and it's persisting down outside.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 4th, 2016, 9:15 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Hear hear!
I find it a bit odd posting on this site. Guess I'll get used to it.
We really need Simsqu to post something offensive about courgettes - then it'll feel like home

Courgettes? Have you ever travelled long-distance on one?

Once upon a time, before the era of cheap flights, my mother (for whom English was a second language) was travelling across Europe. She told us she was being extravagant, and had booked herself the luxury of a courgette on the train. Of course it was a malapropism for couchette, but the notion of travelling on a courgette (any relationship with a broomstick?) entered our vocabulary.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Hi all. Need a hair of the dog, I had too much last night (depressed due to demise of my 'home' on the internet ) At least we have made it to the lifeboat
AC (avoiding animated emoticons)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2016, 9:18 pm

I'm sure many would relish long distance travel on a courgette

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » November 4th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Was never a regular visitor to the snug but one of the posts that sticks in my mind from all my time on tmf was beerpigs tale of taking the grandkids on a trip to Whitby. Made me think, made me smile.

At least I think it was beer pigs post.

Meatyfool..

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » November 4th, 2016, 9:33 pm

20th July 2002 00:30 - it was the kids, not the grandkids.

I guess I'm a big brother widower. Am I the only one.
No, I'm sure I'm not. You know how it is- when there's footer on and your mate calls you during 'Match of the day' your partner goes absolutely nuts as even in the same breath she was telling you to turn the telly off because she wants to go to sleep.
But with 'Big Brother' it's different- her best mate is on the telephone every few minutes and they cackle and giggle and over the weeks you just get used to it and go to sleep.
I can understand where they are coming from of course- 'Big brother' is absolutely vital to the wheels of everyday life. I mean it's nearly as important as the UK about to go to war with an Eastern Country where our participation in the invasion together with the past decade of economic sanctions will have this generation judged in the same key as we now look on those who ran Somme and Paschendale.
I mean what's more important- the pathetic drawing out by the footy starved media of LUFC shareholders banking £30m for an overvalued asset, or the fact that the Western world has been directly responsible for the demise of half a million Iraqi children with the promise last week by those who supposedly lead us of many hundreds of thousands more?
I know, I know- we have got to fight terrorism and root it out but it's my humble recollection that it was tales of Germans bayoneting babies that sent a half million names to the sandstone monuments of every village cross between Elgin and Truro in 1919.

Anyhow I digress! In fact I don't even do that because I've already gone off at a huge tangent from what I was intending to post about. But before I get to the meat of this post t I'll set the scene. Like a regular fool 'I had a little drink about an hour ago', I don't want to watch Big Brother so I've gone rooting around the house for some booze to draw on while I post one of these 'Beerpig Epistialis'. And what did I find? Well any booze in our house has a life expectancy about the same as the contents of my bowels but I rummaged around and discovered the following
Choice;
1. One can of 'Scrumpy Jack'
2. About a quarter of a bottle of Teachers
3. Get this- a bottle of (hang on, I'll just try and read the label…..'Mascatel de Valencia 2000' - a sweet desert wine that's been haunting our dilapidated booze cupboard for the last year!
Which would you drink?
Well all of them of course! At least I'll endeavor to get through them all as I try and record the significance of what happened today
And fags? Yes I smoke tabs- yes, I know I shouldn't but I do and of course I've been rummaging around the house trying to find one or two more to keep me company through this post. Those of you who don't smoke will wonder what on earth I am on about, but those fools like me who do will know exactly what I mean. Anyhow I managed to find a twenty box with three left in a coat pocket, and two out on the pation which are a bit wet but which I'm drying out on the radiator. Tempting to go to the 24/7 Texaco but been to too many inquests for that.
And music? David Gray 'Whiteladder' and David Bowie 'Singles' to be getting on with. The latter is excellent- shame (in my Beerpig view) that he carried on after 1980.
And Amigos? Mrs B, my darling Mrs B next door nodding off through BB and our beautiful Beerpiglets (8 & ^) together with half a dozen daddy-long-legs and fifty harvest flies that crept through the smoke evacuating window of my office to keep me company through the vigil of this my longest ever post.

(Fag break)

And so to today, or rather yesterday Friday 19 July 2002
Mrs B had a conference in London but in spite of that, I took the day off and spent it with our beautiful children. Oh, I know it sounds twee but children-all children-are such wonderful beautiful creatures and we must love and cherish them always, especially when they are wide eyed and believing in tooth fairies and the way they simply accept that all is good and everyone around them is as well meaning and innocent as they are. I've seenthe children of friends and brothers grow up to be adults so quickly that I realise that if you don't make the time to capture time in a bottle (Jim Crochet) you miss the moment. It's true. So today I took Henry and Daisy down to Whitby, which to me is the most beautiful place in the world.
I know, everybody has their own most beautiful place but Whitby is mine because over the last thirty years it has been a place where I have always been happy in so many different ways.
When I was a child Grannie and Grandad Beerpig would take us there for summer holidays.
When I was a teenager I would lark around with friends and deem I was in love with one them.
When I was in my early twenties I would go down there with the lads and drink and sig songs and make merry.
I returned in my late twenties with various girls who I kissed and held close on the 199 steps.
I went there for the first date with the girl who became my wife.
And today I was there with Henry and Daisy. We caught an open top bus, we took a short cruise out to sea, we played mini-golf, we played on the go-carts on West Cliff, we had fish and chips and then too exhausted to shout any more they both fell asleep on the way home like I used to do with my parents when I was a child.

It was just as the verse says in the MV&D poem '1916';

'It seems like only yesterday through narrow harbour wynds
I first heard other children and the call of Abbey chimes
Red winter by your fireside, blue summers on the sand.
The laughs and tears of twenty years that make me understand

It seems like only yesterday on a cliff top green and bare
I brushed the sea fret from your face as the sun danced through your hair
And I knew that I loved you then though I'd never let it show
Time was our friend, faint was my heart, so I'd wait to let you know'

What I think I am trying to say is that because we are all hostages to the sweeping face of the clock our subconscious kids us that there is not time to wait to say things that need to be said or to do things which might better be done.

And while I'm as bad at falling into this latent snare as the next person today for once I took time on and won. How? Because I finally managed to forsake a few chargeable hours and enjoyed a moment in time with those closest to me discovering as I did so that love, whilst eternal ever changes.

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » November 4th, 2016, 9:55 pm

I did think to post a link to beerpig's post then that how stupid that would be!

Meatyfool..

rivershiven

Postby rivershiven » November 4th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Don't post very often but check in almost everyday so after moaning incessantly to my better half about the imminent closure of TMF boards am delighted to see an alternative has been set up. Thanks to all concerned :P :P

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Hope Luni carries on with his week ahead posts - very useful, and essential Saturday hungover reading for me

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » November 4th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Hi, I've found my way to the Snug but not too sure of the etiquette, do I offer to buy drinks all round or wait until I get asked "what's your poison"?

R6

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » November 4th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Hi, I've found my way to the Snug but not too sure of the etiquette, do I offer to buy drinks all round or wait until I get asked "what's your poison"?

R6

No drinks yet, the landlord is not in.

Meatyfool..

Wondergirly
Lemon Pip

Postby Wondergirly » November 4th, 2016, 10:53 pm

I think we can use the honesty box until he gets here Rhyd.

Yes AC, you remember correctly, I was in Windsor until recently but have since moved further south.

W

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Hello, I think I met you once at a Reading (?) social , possibly organised by Satsuma or myself.
I still drink in the Carpenters, but night in tonight due to drowning of sorrows!!
Which reminds me - have to push for a Motley Lemon socials board. Pink Dalek suggested a wake at some point, although a glorious phoenix arising from the ashes of the old would be my preferred description. Or something .

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 5th, 2016, 12:07 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I find it a bit odd posting on this site. Guess I'll get used to it.

I'm not convinced I'll get used to it.

I found the functionality on the TMF site much easier, despite the many knockers. This might be fine for the social type boards but I doubt it will be easy for in depth discussions, as I'm sure I'll miss entire threads and replies within them. In particular, I don't find the "Unread posts" facility particularly helpful. Similarly "New posts" show the last poster on each individual thread but you've no idea how many new posts there are, until you get into the thread. Oh for the old Favourites & Replies

We'll see anyway. Mustn't complain after all.

PD

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”