Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

The Rocket

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Rocket

Postby nimnarb » January 16th, 2024, 4:22 am

dealtn wrote:
nimnarb wrote:
As I said..someone here, name me another person in any sport, man or woman, that is still winning major events 30 years after he or she first started winning. And please don't tell me it's a minor or unrecognized sport anymore(it's not!)

Bob Nudd, longer career and only an MBE - and denied Sports Personality of the Year, despite winning the vote.

Yes, read up on this guy and quite a career, but is he still winning the biggest competitions in the business as opposed to local events that do not have international competitors?

So looked further into this as seriously, few seem to understand exactly what I and a few others are referring to and yes I'm a Ronnie fan(plus a snooker fan) but it's more amazing when you see the stats. Again, who today, in any sport, is still playing(competing) having started winning the majors(in their specific sport from competition all over the World at any age) over 30 years ago and still doing so by winning these same majors in 2024?

https://www.businessinsider.com/athlete ... ers-2020-6

Look down at the performance and rank charts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_O'Sullivan

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 16th, 2024, 1:37 pm

nimnarb wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Bob Nudd, longer career and only an MBE - and denied Sports Personality of the Year, despite winning the vote.

Yes, read up on this guy and quite a career, but is he still winning the biggest competitions in the business as opposed to local events that do not have international competitors?

Are you serious? The guy is now 80. You think Ronnie will be lifting a cue at that age, let alone competing in the World Championships?

The fact he is still winning, against guys a quarter of his age is amazing in itself, let alone what he achieved in his prime. An international in his sport (for one of the best countries) for 24 years, and an individual world champion 4 times, in a sport multiple times more popular and with more participants than snooker.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 16th, 2024, 4:44 pm

I want to know when Ferreting will be recognised as a sport. It's a disgrace. :x

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 16th, 2024, 6:07 pm

dealtn wrote:
nimnarb wrote:

Are you serious? The guy is now 80. You think Ronnie will be lifting a cue at that age, let alone competing in the World Championships?

The fact he is still winning, against guys a quarter of his age is amazing in itself, let alone what he achieved in his prime. An international in his sport (for one of the best countries) for 24 years, and an individual world champion 4 times, in a sport multiple times more popular and with more participants than snooker.

This is getting exhausting......I dont care how old he is, it's not what I have asked all along and it's a fairly simple question which I suggest you read again. You obviously like fishing, so do I, good for you. :roll:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 17th, 2024, 7:05 am

Back on topic, there is no doubt about O'Sullivan's talent but he does not seem to be a very nice person and I think to be a true outstanding sportsman, it needs a great all rounder. Federer clearly met that test.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 17th, 2024, 9:48 am

nimnarb wrote:
dealtn wrote:

This is getting exhausting......I dont care how old he is, it's not what I have asked all along and it's a fairly simple question which I suggest you read again. You obviously like fishing, so do I, good for you. :roll:

Thank you for the suggestion.

It isn't obvious to me which (simple) question you are referring to which requires an answer.

Here is the list of questions from you on this thread that I can identify

nimnarb wrote:yes Im joking, but wheres the respect?) (sic)
I think he is respected, so no real idea what is meant.

nimnarb wrote:
Genius, god help them all when he decides to play good then?
I don't understand this question so have no answer.

nimnarb wrote:(Just got the Worlds to go..can he get there? )
Yes

nimnarb wrote:As I said..someone here name me another person in any sport, man or woman, that is still winning major events 30 years after he or she first started winning. (sic)
Bob Nudd (albeit "was" since that 30 year+ mark is in the past)

nimnarb wrote:

No. He is now 80 and doesn't enter those biggest competitions (60 years after he first did).

Sorry for your exhaustion. (I am not a fan of fishing, or snooker, but genuinely attempted to answer your question(s))

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » January 17th, 2024, 1:16 pm

I always find these types of question a bit pointless. Trying to compare the achievements of sports people with anyone other than their peers (same sport and era) seems utterly futile. In this case (longevity at the top), surely the modest physical demands of the pursuit make comparison with more dynamic sports all but ridiculous. Just by looking at a few of the all time greats in other sports, the impact of physicality becomes apparent:

Usain Bolt, the world's fastest man - 8 years winning the biggest golds (Carl Lewis won the Olympic long jump 13 years after first world sprint gold)
Rafael Nadal - 17 years between first and last Grand Slam wins (Federer 15 years, Djokovic 13 years)
Jack Nicklaus - 24 years from first to last major (Tiger Woods 22 years)
Phil "The Power" Taylor - 27 years between first and last major world events

Then you have Ronnie. Undoubtedly, unrivalled by his peers, but how on earth can you say his achievements are greater than those listed just because it's over a longer period? If that's really the metric you want to use, then may I propose Larry Kahn - 24 world titles over a period of 33 years!

;) (The clue is in the emoji...)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 17th, 2024, 10:12 pm

Leothebear wrote:I want to know when Ferreting will be recognised as a sport. It's a disgrace. :x

And I was wondering what on earth it is about snooker that makes it a sport.

Its hardly any more energetic than playing chess.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 17th, 2024, 10:38 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Leothebear wrote:I want to know when Ferreting will be recognised as a sport. It's a disgrace. :x

Snooker - like archery, say - requires controlled physical precision in order to succeed at the sport. That scrapes it over the line for me.

Watis

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 17th, 2024, 11:12 pm

Watis wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Snooker - like archery, say - requires controlled physical precision in order to succeed at the sport. That scrapes it over the line for me.

Watis

Now....
combine the two of those and I might just find it interesting to watch!

"Drawing a long bow to get the green in to the corner"
??
THAT I could get behind!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 18th, 2024, 10:41 am

Watis wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Watis

A bit like cutting a really accurate dovetail joint in oak, say?

Woodwork as a sport. Yay!!!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”