Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Week Ahead disappeared

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
ManInTheStreet

Week Ahead disappeared

Postby ManInTheStreet » November 19th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Interesting, both my week ahead post and my code I put on the Financial Software board have disappeared.

Did I break any rules? I can't see it being to do with copyright, as all the information I put on here is in the public domain (indeed it is published with the primary aim of being disseminated).

Can someone please explain?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Week Ahead disappeared

Postby kiloran » November 19th, 2016, 1:55 pm

I was also wondering about that! I sent you a PM.

I did manage to get it working. I had already downloaded your script, downloaded node.js and then managed to install jsdom. I already had Python 2.7 installed (though I normally use Python 3).
Your script did download and display the data. One or two untidy bits such as a few HTML tags, but that's of no great importance.

--kiloran

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 19th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Luni scraped his Week Ahead from the Investors Chronicle. TDD send me one, not that I read it, and I dare say they scrape that from somewhere.
I don't suppose ADVFN create their daily offering by going to each company website, it's another scrape.

So the notion of removing it from here seems rather daft.

In The Biscuit there was a post about how to set your Control Panel so you get a message if a post is deleted (says he vaguely)

V8

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 19th, 2016, 5:22 pm

The info is published quite widely on the web, for example -> http://dividenddata.co.uk/

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 19th, 2016, 5:29 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:The info is published quite widely on the web, for example -> http://dividenddata.co.uk/

Yes, but it was useful the way Luni assembled it, and if someone else is willing to take on the task I think they should be able to post it on TLF.

V8

epo1

Postby epo1 » November 19th, 2016, 7:34 pm

Had you actually seen them there and then noticed their absence? If so, ask the mods, otherwise perhaps you forgot to press submit?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 19th, 2016, 8:53 pm

epo1 wrote:Had you actually seen them there and then noticed their absence? If so, ask the mods, otherwise perhaps you forgot to press submit?

ManInTheStreet's message was definitely there, including various replies including mine. I even bookmarked the topic and that topic no longer exists.

--kiloran

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 19th, 2016, 10:25 pm

I suspect there was a worry (or even a complaint?) about copyright infringement if the list was taken straight from the IC site and reposted in full here. Didn't TMF have guidelines about quoting just a taster of an article and posting a link to the original?

Staffordian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2016, 7:44 am

ManInTheStreet wrote:
Interesting, both my week ahead post and my code I put on the Financial Software board have disappeared.

Did I break any rules? I can't see it being to do with copyright, as all the information I put on here is in the public domain (indeed it is published with the primary aim of being disseminated).

Can someone please explain?

I saw the interesting thread on the 'Week Ahead' code as well, and noticed that it had disappeared.

I've mentioned in a much earlier thread when the site first opened, regarding moderation practices and how TMF were really good at letting people know when and why a thread may have been removed, and I did specifically ask if this practice were going to continue over here because it was a valuable process that stopped people having to surmise things if they aren't specifically told anything.

That said, given that Kiloran has said that he'd sent you a PM about this, and having sent you a PM myself about it when I first noticed it had been removed (sent Sat morning at 5am), I wonder if you actually might have been sent a PM from the mods with some information in it?

I only mention this because the PM I sent you early on Sat morning is still currently sat in my 'Out-Box', which on this type of bulletin board means that you've not read it yet.

Is there a chance you've not read Kiloran's PM or my PM, and perhaps not noticed there may be an even earlier PM about it from the mods?

You can check for PM's by looking to the left of your user-name at the top-right of any of the Lemon Fool site pages. Usually it would say 'Private Messages [0]' if there's nothing waiting for your attention. Does yours say something else?

Whatever the outcome of the thread-removal issue, I hope you're not discouraged too much from getting involved with this great news-feed. It's clear that the loss of Luni hand-delivering the 'Week Ahead' news to people will be missed if it were to disappear completely, so it would be good if a few of us could find a couple of methods of trying to fill the gap in a way that hopefully satisfies any concerns that the mods may have in doing so.

Kiloran and I are in the process of doing something with the HYPTUSS tools that will help with this, but clearly not everyone uses, wants to use, or is even able to use these tools, and finding a way to regularly deliver the news to the Lemon Fool site itself by way of a posted message, where people will be able to find the news themselves, will help immensely with the loss of Luni carrying out that good work himself.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 20th, 2016, 8:25 am

kiloran wrote:
epo1 wrote:Had you actually seen them there and then noticed their absence? If so, ask the mods, otherwise perhaps you forgot to press submit?

ManInTheStreet's message was definitely there, including various replies including mine. I even bookmarked the topic and that topic no longer exists.

--kiloran

=====================

i certainly made a (minor) post regarding the date of vodafone xd - that post has gone.

. 8-)

epo1

Postby epo1 » November 20th, 2016, 9:25 am

I guess we need clarification as to why these posts are disappearing. If deliberate action then what guidelines are being contravened, otherwise it might be a software problem.

I will self-report this post to bring it to their attention.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 20th, 2016, 10:54 am

epo1 wrote:I guess we need clarification as to why these posts are disappearing. If deliberate action then what guidelines are being contravened, otherwise it might be a software problem.

I will self-report this post to bring it to their attention.

When the threads were removed, the OP was notified via PM immediately. They were removed because of potential copyright infringement, as reported by a number of posters.

Clariman

ManInTheStreet

Postby ManInTheStreet » November 20th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Is there a chance you've not read Kiloran's PM or my PM, and perhaps not noticed there may be an even earlier PM about it from the mods?

Many thanks to itsallaguess for pointing this out to me!

Doh! :mrgreen:

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 20th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
ManInTheStreet wrote:Kiloran and I are in the process of doing something with the HYPTUSS tools that will help with this, but clearly not everyone uses, wants to use, or is even able to use these tools, and finding a way to regularly deliver the news to the Lemon Fool site itself by way of a posted message, where people will be able to find the news themselves, will help immensely with the loss of Luni carrying out that good work himself.

Cheers,
Itsallaguess

We have updated the HYPTUSS..... see viewtopic.php?f=27&t=781

--kiloran

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”