Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

MAB

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

MAB

Postby brightncheerful » November 15th, 2023, 1:52 pm

Some of Mitchells and Butler's brand names I'd heard of but not MAB itself. So when an acquaintance with whom I've become more friendly at our gym told me he worked for MAB I did some due diligence. During our conversation about his employment, I'd mentioned I dabble in the stock market so he suggested I buy some shares as the results would be good. I checked the share price and decided not to buy because having asked I trust my intuition. When next I saw him he told me that by the end of this year, MAB would be expected to have paid off the deficit on its pension fund. So on the Monday following I bought a few shares. And when I next chatted with him told him that he now worked for me so he asked if I'd bought for £2.09, no at just under £2.11, adding that I hadn't bought any before its results but thought that after the pension fund topped up perhaps the dividend would resume to which he didn't know anything about that. (Some of that I posted on the ADVFN board)

Gradually the sp has been going up. Yesterday I attended a meeting of the Staffordshire branch of the Institute of Directors which was held at Wolverhampton University. Not knowing which building on the campus address it was I wandered into where I thought it was (it wasn't) but on the way, I passed a boarded-up building with Mitchells and Butlet on the upper elevation of the brickwork. Interpreting that as a good omen, I mentioned that to another attendee, at the meeting, whom I'd never met before, only for the person to tell me they used to work for MAB and that their 6-figure value shareholding had tumbled to 4 figures.

At the meeting, which was about brownfield regeneration, it transpired that the building we were in had been before a new build one of the several derelict buildings that had been William Butler's brewery complex of 12 acres.

So when I returned to my office and checked the sp, I was delighted to see that it had risen again and also this morning such that when I last checked it had risen by 17%, probably aided by a tip so I read on ADVFN in the daily mail.

Not one to bet the farm - because that would entail selling shares in some other companies whose sp is going up thanks to my intuition - I have mentally penciled in £4.

DYOR
BnC

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: MAB

Postby brightncheerful » November 15th, 2023, 2:09 pm

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Re: MAB

Postby daveh » November 15th, 2023, 5:43 pm

I hold from an original share holding in Scottish and Newcastle, that became Six continents, that became Intercontinental Hotels Group and Mitchells and Butlers plc. IHG has done really well throwing of lots of capital returns and the share price holding up well. MAB has been atrocious. I helped them out in covid when they had a rights issue, but even then my holding is still only worth a couple of hundred quid. But I hold the shares in my name so I get a shareholder perk of 20% off my bill in any MAB business. I use it for myself occasionally now, but on a couple of occasions we've gone out as a group from work for a meal and I've got more off the bill than my shares were worth at the time. So I'm holding onto them just for that perk, plus they may prove useful if I need a capital loss. And you never know maybe they'll do well in the future.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”