Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Wenger again

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Wenger again

Postby GrandOiseau » May 10th, 2017, 12:04 pm

He makes a rod for his own back

http://www.football365.com/news/wenger- ... e-football

Do what you do exceptionally well and you can be successful. There is more than one way to ski a cat. A clash of styles is one of the fascinations of any sport.

And as for the CL. Maybe he should have tried not qualifying one year and maybe he could have won a league title. Although it didn't work for Liverpool or Man U - and Man City traditionally only play the group stages!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Wenger again

Postby Lootman » May 10th, 2017, 2:07 pm

I wonder what rule change Wenger is advocating for? And what reason he would give for that other than it gives his team a better chance?

Now, not all rules in football are simply about equity. Some explicitly exist to make the game more entertaining, like the offside rule, the away goals rule, and the fact that you get 3 points for a win rather than the more logical 2 points. But is it clear that counter-attacking football is not entertaining whilst ticky-tacky possession is? That's not clear to me - personally I prefer end-to-end attacking play where both teams get chances. Possession is meh.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 10th, 2017, 3:05 pm

I'm not sure why anyone bothers listening to Wenger any more? He's peddling nonsense and is stuck in the past based on former glories. The game of football has changed while he hasn't - he should get over it. Since when did a team having more possession of the ball give them the God given right to win! If that was the case Spurs should've won the League the past two years, not [expletive deleted]!How would he like that?

There's something not right at [expletive deleted] and he's right at the heart of it. What he's really saying is that the players he's bought are overpriced and rubbish, and he made a very poor decision at the start of the season about the strength of the squad needed to compete on all fronts. You then look at the amount of injuries his squad gets and assume it can't all be bad luck, and maybe something is not right with the way the players are trained and conditioned. If that's the case, then who's fault is that? Don't look in the mirror [expletive deleted]...

All the best, Si

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 11th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Nice to have a football topic on here.

Yeah fast counter-attacking football is great to watch and far more entertaining than keepy keepy.
I quote from the CPFC fan's website "We attack or we defend. Anything else is basically wanking with a football."

AW will surely go at the season's end while he still has a modicum of dignity.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 12th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Leothebear wrote:I quote from the CPFC fan's website "We attack or we defend. Anything else is basically wanking with a football."

Yes, funny quote, but not really true. It's far easier to pass the ball than to run after it and hope that you will see enough of the ball to counter attack. If that is the approach of Palace this season, then it's not difficult to understand why they are where they are in the table. I'm always surprised how Spurs have won so many games late on this season and how few teams have been able to counter attack against us, and it's normally because the other team are completely knackered for the last 10 minutes because they've only had 30% possession. Plus they've had to try and get past two beasts called Dembele and Wanyama :)

All the best, Si

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 12th, 2017, 3:01 pm

simoan wrote:I'm always surprised how Spurs have won so many games late on this season and how few teams have been able to counter attack against us, and it's normally because the other team are completely knackered for the last 10 minutes because they've only had 30% possession.

You see it with Liverpool as well. Their "high energy" style is breathtakingly effective when it works, but generally their first half performances has been better than their second half performances. It may also explain why they done so much better against the top teams, who give them space.

Running around like crazy also appears to have led to a lot of injuries to their key players which is starting to be a factor in the run-in.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 12th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Lootman wrote:You see it with Liverpool as well. Their "high energy" style is breathtakingly effective when it works, but generally their first half performances has been better than their second half performances. It may also explain why they done so much better against the top teams, who give them space.

Running around like crazy also appears to have led to a lot of injuries to their key players which is starting to be a factor in the run-in.

Well Spurs have been the opposite! Poor to average first half and then strong second half e.g. Swansea away , West Ham at home. I have no idea why Liverpool get so many injuries but you've played far less football than us.

All the best, Si

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 12th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Lootman wrote:You see it with Liverpool as well. Their "high energy" style is breathtakingly effective when it works, but generally their first half performances has been better than their second half performances. It may also explain why they done so much better against the top teams, who give them space.

Well Spurs have been the opposite! Poor to average first half and then strong second half e.g. Swansea away , West Ham at home. I have no idea why Liverpool get so many injuries - you've played far less football than us!

All the best, Si

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”