Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Planning A Trip To Ireland?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
Nerissa

Planning A Trip To Ireland?

Postby Nerissa » February 12th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Ireland for May. Going to be staying for 2 weeks. What is it like there? What are the areas to avoid, weather, good places to visit(was going to Belfast, Dublin, and the country). Also please let me know about cost of Ireland Rail Tours.
Thanks

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Planning A Trip To Ireland?

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 13th, 2017, 10:58 am

Belfast: I know nothing.

Dublin: got very bloated as capital of the Celtic Tiger. Dreary and overpriced.

Wicklow mountains nearby: gorgeous. Beats our national parks. Though the facilities for tourists (like good pubs) may be more sparse.

Getting to Ireland: check the seat61 website for rail travel. Any UK station to Dublin, probably still under £40 including the ferry!

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 13th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Nerissa wrote:Hi,
Also please let me know about cost of Ireland Rail Tours.

Some ideas here, but I've no personal experience of them, so this isn't a recommendation - https://railtoursireland.com/

youfoolishboy
2 Lemon pips

Postby youfoolishboy » February 14th, 2017, 7:42 am

I stayed down south for a year or so and highly recommend Kinsale, next to Cork, for a day trip very picturesque and friendly. Public transport outside of Dublin was very poor from what I saw and 17 years ago near Cork I used to pick up people hitchhiking to work in the morning as there was no other way if you had no car. They may have built rail lines and put on buses since then off course. Cork itself is a great buzzing city and has a musical tradition in the pubs. I would recommend it as a base rather than Dublin which is an expensive tourist trap. I regularly goto Dublin however no longer Cork sadly.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 15th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Based ona trip to the SE of RoI last September...

Unless you like kiss-me-quick hat stylee seaside resorts avoid tramore itself. if you like swimming though, get thee to quillamene swimming club a couple of miles west just before the metal man.

Pubs - the pubs we were constantkly told wold be "good for tourists" we found generally not to our likeing, trying to be all things to all men... family diners, lads watching sport on a big screen, old boys in the corner, couples out on a dinner date etc etc etc... and probably TBH fail at all of them for each demographic. We always found the pubs that we liked most werre the ones we were told to avoid! LOL. Maybe that says more about us than it does the pubs....

Food - generally quite expensive compared to the UK, especially buying in s/markets etc. Interestingly bottled beer etc wasn't substantially cheaper than pub prices (as opposed to here in the UK). Portion sizes in restaurants we found to be large :).

A few ideas and general thoughts here
https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/ir ... ight=didds

We didn;t really hang out in towns and cities so much as we had a campervan, so this may not be much use to yo0u if you are relying in public transport but in partiocular we enjoyed - aside from swimming :-)

New Ross, Wexford - new world ship "museum".
Hook Lighthouse, Wexford
Kilmour Quay, Wexford - village, cracking pub
Glendalough, Wickloow

didds

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » February 19th, 2017, 9:45 pm

I did a quick trip there last year. London-Glasgow-Ayr (special bus) Cairnryan ferry (best ferry ship I 've been on if you go to the lounge - all you can drink for £12) to Belfast.
Belfast is really good now. Titanic experience. Put the 'troubles' into context.
You can get a train from there to (London) Derry, that goes along the coast.
Then the Enterprise rail service Belfast - Newry- Dublin. Dublin Centre is good (Trinity College) and the St James Brewey.
Then you could either go down the coast to Wexford (quite pretty) and then back to Wales or head over to Cork, Tralee or Galway.

Michael Portillos recent TV Great railway journeys series covered quite alot of Ireland Wexford-Dublin-Sligo.

Return to “Around the UK”