Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Christmas abroad...?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Christmas abroad...?

Postby stevensfo » December 29th, 2016, 5:19 pm

My wife has this amazing idea of us going somewhere nice for next Christmas, and taking my Mother.

So where do you recommend at Christmas time? Canary islands, Cyprus, Crete?

Steve

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Re: Christmas abroad...?

Postby MyNameIsUrl » December 30th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Have a look at Madeira. Temperatures around 20C at Christmas, and quite a bit more daylight hours than the UK. They make a big feature of Christmas lights to attract tourists (and cruise ships). Restaurants are cheap. They seem to cater for older people rather than young families or groups of youths. Easyjet do flights.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 1st, 2017, 2:18 pm

Thanks. I hadn't thought of Madeira but will add to the list.

Steve

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 1st, 2017, 6:47 pm

Mr parents of a similar age recently went to Madeira and thoroughly enjoyed it. And similarly Malta too.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 2nd, 2017, 11:15 am

DiamondEcho wrote:Mr parents of a similar age recently went to Madeira and thoroughly enjoyed it. And similarly Malta too.

We really like Malta and would even consider spending a long time there when we retire, but I've heard that Dec-March is cold and very humid, which makes it feel colder than it really is. We're after somewhere with plenty of sun. So far, my OH is leaning towards Lanzarote. Naturally, as long as it has good WiFi and I'm given some bleedin' peace and quiet, I couldn't give a monkeys! :-)

Steve

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » March 9th, 2017, 5:19 am

stevensfo wrote:My wife has this amazing idea of us going somewhere nice for next Christmas, and taking my Mother.

So where do you recommend at Christmas time? Canary islands, Cyprus, Crete?

Steve

I haven't spent Christmas in the UK for some 15 years now! Depends on how adventurous (and fit) you feel. And how much travelling you want to do. I generally tour (rather than stay put) which may not be your bag.

Canaries was excellent (particularly La Palma and La Gomera). I went on a walking holiday. Cyprus and Crete are both great places to visit - but I've not been there over Xmas.

Algeria and Morocco are both good. I once took my mother to Marrakesh over Christmas. As I did to Tunisia but that's probably off the radar at the moment. Egypt and Sudan both have fine weather. Ethiopia is fascinating.

Went to Tuscany last Xmas (Siena and Florence), which was excellent.

Further afield? South Africa, India, Sri Lanka and all the SE Asia countries. The world is your oyster. One caveat - flight prices soar at Xmas. Don't leave booking too late.

Return to “Airport Lounge”