Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Data SIM for France

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
stooz
Site Admin

Data SIM for France

Postby stooz » January 6th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Roaming charges are still a little pricey, so for just Data access, does anyone have a suggestion for a SIM card I can buy for use in France for a week?
I would want 4G.
Also - where would you buy such a thing?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Data SIM for France

Postby Itsallaguess » January 6th, 2017, 1:33 pm

stooz wrote:
Roaming charges are still a little pricey, so for just Data access, does anyone have a suggestion for a SIM card I can buy for use in France for a week?

I would want 4G.

Also - where would you buy such a thing?

Amazon are selling a 24GB/24Month (whichever runs out first) data-only SIM for the THREE network for about £28 delivered -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Pay-Mobil ... B01M3VJ2B2

If you read the description further down the Amazon page, you'll see this bit -

"Use Your Data Abroad at No Extra Cost

With this you can use it abroad at no extra cost in 42 feel at home destinations while on holiday, including USA, Australia, Germany, Portugal, Greece and others. That’s more destinations than any other UK mobile network. Pay As You Go customers need an add-on to get an allowance to use data at no extra cost in 42 destinations worldwide. For holiday use only. Limits apply. See Three.co.uk/feelathome"

And if you go to the above 'feelathome' page, you'll find that FRANCE is listed as one of the 'feelathome' destinations -

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

If you look at the Amazon user-reviews, and search on the word 'France', there are many there that have used it whilst on holiday, so it sounds perfect for your requirements Stooz.

I see that Amazon have smaller capacity SIMS for roughly the same price, so given that you can bring the 24GB SIM back home and continue to use it for 2 years following initial activation, so long as you've got some data left, then I see this as a bit of a no-brainer to be honest.

I've not used these '3' SIMS abroad, but can vouch for their incredible usefulness here in the UK, where coverage and speed has been the best of all the network SIM's I've tried for data-only uses.

Enjoy your holiday!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ahenry

Postby ahenry » January 6th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I've not used these '3' SIMS abroad, but can vouch for their incredible usefulness here in the UK, where coverage and speed has been the best of all the network SIM's I've tried for data-only uses.

I've used one a bit in France. It was fine in built up areas, but the coverage can be a bit patchy on a TGV in the countryside.

The Prepaid with Data site is an excellent resource for the detail on how to get a local sim for lots of places around the world.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/France

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 9th, 2017, 12:32 am

Last two times I've been abroad (Sweden in September, Spain in November), the text from O2 has told me I have unlimited data use for never more than £2/day over and above my regular monthly charge. I consider that acceptable: no need to mess about with foreign SIMs unless I'm abroad long-term.

I understand the EU commission may have had a hand in bringing those charges down, so who knows if they'll survive brexit.

Return to “Airport Lounge”