Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Southern Spain - which cities in Feb?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
saechunu
2 Lemon pips

Re: Southern Spain - which cities in Feb?

Postby saechunu » January 16th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I'm looking to plan a similar trip to that area in mid-to-late September, maybe a week to 9 days, aiming to visit some interesting and historic places, with an itinerary that has us moving on between maybe 3 or so places, preferably all using public transport (& trains instead of buses where possible), and perhaps a spot of beach R&R tagged on the end.

The aim wouldn't be to force the face in order to pack everything into one short trip; very happy to return a few more times so that the travel aspects don't dominate, with perhaps Seville the focus on this trip. ???

Neither of us has visited the area but have been keen for some time and decided it was time to do something about it. Any suggested itineraries appreciated!

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » January 21st, 2017, 12:00 pm

The problem with September is that the temperature is not readily predictable and it could well be unpleasantly hot. Granada outside might be OK during the day, but elsewhere you would be relying on the local air-conditioning, so everything depends on how sensitive you are to the heat.

saechunu
2 Lemon pips

Postby saechunu » January 22nd, 2017, 12:49 pm

It's a good point, heat could be a problem. I now have my itinerary and have booked accommodation, ensuring all is airconned, and with only 3 days staying inland (Granada) I've done what I can to mitigate potential for very high temps. Consequently we'll tick only a couple of the culture boxes on this trip, so shall have no option but to return numerous times!

I'm looking forward to Granada so have taken note of casapinos's comments. And similar to Eboli, friends also speak highly of the late slot in the Alhambra, which is only 90 minutes, so I'm wondering whether to do that in addition to a full morning visit (8.30-2pm)?

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » January 25th, 2017, 7:05 am

I'm late spotting this thread but don't forget the Carnival starts in Spain on 24 February i.e the celebrations on the last weekend before Lent up to Ash Wednesday, and Cadiz is one of the best places to experience it.

Also, I was in Cadiz in September and would highly recommend the taparia of the same name on Calle Columela! You sometimes have to queue to get in but usually it's quite quick and it's well worth it!

Regards
RD

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 25th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Regdragon wrote:I'm late spotting this thread but don't forget the Carnival starts in Spain on 24 February i.e the celebrations on the last weekend before Lent up to Ash Wednesday, and Cadiz is one of the best places to experience it.

That's good to know, I'll be in the area from 25th Feb onwards.

Scott.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 31st, 2017, 7:56 pm

As per my new Tenerife thread, we are reconsidering our Andalusia holiday in the light of my father needing care and then passing away in the last few weeks. Somehow dotting about between Malaga airport, Seville, Cordoba and Grenada with or without a car feels a bit too much like hassle.

Am wondering whether to simply get the train from Malaga to Cordoba for 3 nights, then from there to Seville for 3 or 4 nights. Then train or bus back to Malaga airport. Does that sound good and simple for those who know the area? We could then do more of a touring holiday another time that pucks up the Alhambra and the small hilltop villages?

C

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 31st, 2017, 8:03 pm

Clariman wrote:Am wondering whether to simply get the train from Malaga to Cordoba for 3 nights, then from there to Seville for 3 or 4 nights. Then train or bus back to Malaga airport. Does that sound good and simple for those who know the area?

Yes that's pretty doable. You'd need to get the train from Malaga airport to the main station in the city for your onward connection, but it's straightforward.

Scott.

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » January 31st, 2017, 10:27 pm

Tabernacle Luque is a great place to eat in Córdoba. It's run by a friendly husband and wife team and the food is really good and reasonably priced. I see it's number 1 Spanish restaurant on Trip Advisor now so reservations are probably advisable.

The train from Malaga to Córdoba goes from Maria Zambrano station which is on the same "metro" line as the airport. Getting into Malaga Centro from the airport on the train is so cheap - maybe 2 or 3 euros. So different from the rip-off prices in the U.K. Maria Zambrano is the penultimate station before Malaga Centro as you head in from the airport. From memory, the Metro station from the airport to Malaga is about 250 yards from Departures, not in the airport building itself but an easy walk.

Regards

RD

Regdragon

Postby Regdragon » January 31st, 2017, 10:44 pm

Sorry - predictive text. That was meant to say Taberna Luque! Gives me the chance to say that, on my last Spanish trip, I bought what seemed to me to be a cheap train ticket anyway from Madrid to Salamanca. At the ticket office I got the impression that, had I been over 60, I would have qualified for a further 40% discount. Mentioned in case one of your party is 60+ ... Also bear in mind it was pre-Brexit and my Spanish isn't great.

Regards

RD

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 31st, 2017, 10:59 pm

Thanks RD. Holiday sorted. Hotels in Cordoba and Seville booked. Car hire cancelled - will do it by train.

Return to “Airport Lounge”