Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

First time visit to Dubai, what to do?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

First time visit to Dubai, what to do?

Postby BullDog » November 23rd, 2023, 1:45 pm

Me and Mrs BD have just booked a last minute break in Dubai for 7 nights starting next week. Neither of us has been there before. The hotel is in Palm Jumeriah district which google seems to tell me is not a very central location, it's on a beach. Hotel is half board so meals are covered apart from some lunch. We like culture type things. We aren't really beach people. What's the suggestions for seeing some of Dubai? Thanks.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: First time visit to Dubai, what to do?

Postby Gerry557 » November 23rd, 2023, 6:03 pm

There are the obvious things like camel rides or atv trips in the dessert. You could Tom Cruise it and go up the Burj Khalifa. Visit the souks or a sail around the marina.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 23rd, 2023, 6:52 pm

Were I to go to Dubai, this would be high on my agenda https://www.visitdubai.com/en/places-to ... the-future

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2023, 7:52 pm

Not really a cultural destination.
I would visit the aquarium at the Atlantis hotel though.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 23rd, 2023, 8:04 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Not really a cultural destination.
I would visit the aquarium at the Atlantis hotel though.

Yes, that's why I'm asking. Mainly an opportunity to get some winter sun and relax. Would be a shame not to have a look around though if there's stuff to see. (nearly) Everywhere has to be worth going once.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 23rd, 2023, 9:20 pm

BullDog wrote:Me and Mrs BD have just booked a last minute break in Dubai for 7 nights starting next week. Neither of us has been there before. The hotel is in Palm Jumeriah district which google seems to tell me is not a very central location, it's on a beach. Hotel is half board so meals are covered apart from some lunch. We like culture type things. We aren't really beach people. What's the suggestions for seeing some of Dubai? Thanks.

I've heard it's just a big overpriced shopping mall, basically. Maybe catch an onward flight to the far east? I'm afraid I can't suggest anything, but would be really interested to hear how you get on when you're back - enjoy.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » November 23rd, 2023, 9:42 pm

BullDog wrote:Me and Mrs BD have just booked a last minute break in Dubai for 7 nights starting next week. Neither of us has been there before. The hotel is in Palm Jumeriah district which google seems to tell me is not a very central location, it's on a beach. Hotel is half board so meals are covered apart from some lunch. We like culture type things. We aren't really beach people. What's the suggestions for seeing some of Dubai? Thanks.

I haven't been but a pal went last year. It was a 2 centre break Dubai and Abu Dhabi. His preference was for the latter but it is close enough to be day trip distance and has according to the Telegraph " an ever-growing range of museums and galleries, and one of the most recent additions is the Louvre Abu Dhabi, the result of a cultural collaboration with the French government.
So maybe you could do one or two trips there for a culture fix.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 23rd, 2023, 9:49 pm

Dicky99 wrote:

I haven't been but a pal went last year. It was a 2 centre break Dubai and Abu Dhabi. His preference was for the latter but it is close enough to be day trip distance and has according to the Telegraph " an ever-growing range of museums and galleries, and one of the most recent additions is the Louvre Abu Dhabi, the result of a cultural collaboration with the French government.

Thanks for that. In fact I have tentatively penciled in Abu Dhabi or Doha for winter 2024. See how we like a winter break and decide next year about that.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 23rd, 2023, 10:03 pm

I hope you enjoy it more than I did! I went around this time of year 20 years ago. Stayed in the Ritz Carlton with half the Russian Mafia. Went to the Gold Souk - how many jewellery shops do you need in one area? Alcohol was hideously expensive and it was Ramadan. Most fake place I’ve ever visited. Tbh there’s not a lot to do if you don’t like golf or shopping.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 24th, 2023, 6:09 pm

How quick is the trip.

Formula 1 this weekend.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 24th, 2023, 6:39 pm

Gerry557 wrote:How quick is the trip.

Formula 1 this weekend.

Done and dusted when we arrive.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 25th, 2023, 6:59 am

Gerry557 wrote:How quick is the trip.

Formula 1 this weekend.

In Abu Dhabi, about 100km from Dubai.

Scott.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 25th, 2023, 9:41 am

I have visited the Emirates for business many times until 5 years ago on retirement. Dubai is a sun, sea and shopping destination. Palm Jumeriah district is basically a 30 min taxi to the centre - there is also a LRT and I am sure bus services from your hotel. The few 'destinations' in Dubai have already been covered. Dubai centre is not a pedestrian friendly place.

Your hotel will certainly organise trips to AD - just over an hour down the road - but not a great deal to see en route. I would go to a combination of the Louvre, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, lunch at Emirates Palace Mandarin Oriental (amazing hotel with whole plethora of restaurants - some surprisingly reasonable) and Ferrari world. However, the best of all FWIW would be a day trip to Al Ain - oasis town well inland. Get a guide - so much to see both culturally and historically - about 1hr 30 mins from PJ.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 25th, 2023, 11:31 am

BullDog wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:

Thanks for that. In fact I have tentatively penciled in Abu Dhabi or Doha for winter 2024. See how we like a winter break and decide next year about that.

As mentioned above, I know the area region well - can I suggest you put Oman on your shortlist? It is the most beautiful and interesting place in the Gulf.

T7

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 26th, 2023, 9:20 am

terminal7 wrote:
BullDog wrote:Thanks for that. In fact I have tentatively penciled in Abu Dhabi or Doha for winter 2024. See how we like a winter break and decide next year about that.

As mentioned above, I know the area region well - can I suggest you put Oman on your shortlist? It is the most beautiful and interesting place in the Gulf.

T7

I'll second that. We had 4 nights in Dubai and I found it very artificial and lacking any atmosphere. My wife loves the sea and sand, so I wouldn't discount it in the future for a short break, or for a stopover but that's all.

Oman was much more interesting and the capital easy to explore. More relaxed, friendly and the beer a bit cheaper. ;) We went on a few trips to the sand dunes and an inland gorge, river. Can't remember the name but it was worth it.

If you haven't been, then Jordan is also worth a visit, if only to see Petra. Something to do while you're still able to walk a lot! A very safe country and some great resorts along the dead sea. Floating in the dead sea was a weird experience that I didn't really enjoy at first. It took some time to learn how to move, however there were plenty of staff who grabbed tourists at any sign of panic. 8-)

Steve

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 27th, 2023, 7:31 am

I went to Dubai for a couple of conferences about 15 years ago. At that point it was just a sun, sea, shopping destination. I skipped half a day of the conference and asked the hotel reception/concierge staff what things I could visit, thinking cultural, and their only suggestion was the shopping malls and gold souk. That was the most telling thing. Even the hotel staff couldn't point to anything of cultural interest.

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » January 4th, 2024, 8:22 am

Get on the first plane out?

Most over-rated place in the World, IMO.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 6th, 2024, 10:48 am

moorfield wrote:

I've heard it's just a big overpriced shopping mall, basically. Maybe catch an onward flight to the far east? I'm afraid I can't suggest anything, but would be really interested to hear how you get on when you're back - enjoy.

Oh well. Sorry for the delay in feed back. The short answer is, don't bother. Dubai has a rather plastic or synthetic feel to it.

The lessons though are - 1 Don't travel over the Christmas period, especially in economy class. 2 Nice winter climate there but equal or better is available for maybe half the cost, including elsewhere in UAE. 3 Far better, as in interesting destinations, in the region are Jordan and Oman. Neither of which are as synthetic feeling as Dubai and have a lot of really interesting stuff to see and do. I have been to both.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » January 6th, 2024, 11:36 am

I've only been through the airport in transit.

A coffee and croissant would have been over £10, except I decided to skip the £5 croissant (Dec 2021) !!
Even Zurich airport was barely over £5 for coffee & croissant (Dec 2020).

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » January 6th, 2024, 8:32 pm

The creek and the Persian quarter are well worth a trip. The spice markets are fantastic as is the gold quarter. Avoid the usual tourist tat and the malls and just walk around. Talk to the locals and try and immerse yourself in the surroundings rather than be a detached foreigner.

Return to “Airport Lounge”