Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Singapore

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Re: Singapore

Postby TaurusTheBull » January 17th, 2024, 9:55 am

I lived in Singapore 40 years ago, and back then the average stay was about 2.8 days.

So what's changed to make it 4?

Oh yes, they've torn down cultural sites like Bugis Street, and built some modern tourist crap.

Just like Phuket and Ko Samui.... no doubt nice if you've never been, not if you witnessed it in the past.

They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » January 19th, 2024, 3:16 am

Big Yellow Taxi

Joni Mitchell

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel *, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise

and continues …

Best wishes, Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 19th, 2024, 7:08 am

TaurusTheBull wrote:I lived in Singapore 40 years ago, and back then the average stay was about 2.8 days.

So what's changed to make it 4?

Oh yes, they've torn down cultural sites like Bugis Street, and built some modern tourist crap.

Just like Phuket and Ko Samui.... no doubt nice if you've never been, not if you witnessed it in the past.

They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot.

I too first went to Singapore a long time ago. Just calculating, it was around 1970, which is more like 55 years ago. The Singapore River was covered in bumboats, with godowns on each bank. Clifford Pier was the waterfront and so on, but so what? No place stands still. I too was in Phuket when there were about two hotels, The Lone Pine was on a beach at Batu Ferringhi in Penang, almost on its own and we went to the old and delightful Titik Inn on the east coast of Malaysia, run at that time by a Brit, a retired Colonial servant married to the daughter of one of the Sultans.

No place remains unchanged and certainly not the dynamic East as you must know. There is no need though to be cynical about these changes.

Dod

Return to “Airport Lounge”