Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mozilla Thunderbird

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Mozilla Thunderbird

Postby Peltiq » December 7th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Has anyone else noticed that Thunderbird seems to have become a bit "clunky" over the past few weeks. It seems to take ages to delete anything and copying messges from the inbox to local folders (and vice versa) seems to hang.

I am using 6 IMAP email addresses with a global inbox which puts all incoming mesages into one unified folder. Thunderbird is 45.5.1 with no add-ons and compacting the folders has no effect.

Is it me or is anyone else noticing the symptoms?

Regards to all

Karen

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird

Postby dragnips » December 7th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Is it me or is anyone else noticing the symptoms?

No problems here, also using 45.5.1.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 7th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Mine's OK too. I'd be inclined to suspect the email server rather than the browser, personally. My IMAP accounts (at BT Internet and Gmail) have had periods when everything seems to run slooooowly - and, in some cases, IMAP emails appear and disappear and then magically appear again. Drives me mad. I've always assumed that data is sloshing about between servers and that the ports have been temporarily swamped, but maybe that's too literal an interpretation? It can take a week to correct itself, though. :(

BJ

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » December 7th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Mine's OK too. I'd be inclined to suspect the email server rather than the browser, personally. My IMAP accounts (at BT Internet and Gmail) have had periods when everything seems to run slooooowly - and, in some cases, IMAP emails appear and disappear and then magically appear again. Drives me mad. I've always assumed that data is sloshing about between servers and that the ports have been temporarily swamped, but maybe that's too literal an interpretation? It can take a week to correct itself, though. :(

BJ

Interesting. My IMAP accounts are also all gmail and my ISP is BT. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbird and nothing improves the situation. It's not the end of the world and apart from this slight hiccup everything works well.

Karen

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » December 8th, 2016, 5:03 pm

My Thunderbird, with several IMAP and POP accounts, started to play up as you describe last week - but only the IMAP accounts which of course have to communicate more intensively with the ISP's web servers. It turned out to be a Plusnet problem and took then several days to resolve. So as others have said, probably check the service status of your internet account.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 8th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Use the webmail access as an interim stopgap?...

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » December 12th, 2016, 8:03 am

Everything is back as it should be now, all very strange.

Thanks to those who commented.

Karen

addycres

Postby addycres » December 12th, 2016, 10:36 am

Also running the same version on a Linux box, with a POP mailboxes, email server is Timico (previously Newnet). All has been OK.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”