Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Cookie Problem

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Loir
2 Lemon pips

Cookie Problem

Postby Loir » December 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm

I wanted to log in to my PayPal account but it failed even though I was sure I got the password right.
I tried the "Problems with login" button. This showed me a captcha but it would accept what I put in, even though I was sure I got it right.
I then found a Help number I could call. It was an automatic system but it said I could reset my password. It gave me a security number and I then received an email with a link to go to.
I went to the link and changed my password. But I could still not login with my new password and the captcha thing wouldn't work either.
Overnight it came to me that it might be a Cookie problem. I set PayPal to be a trusted site. It still would not work. Then I set it to accept all Cookies for all sites, then it worked.

Is there a way to accept all Cookies from one site but limit all the others?

Loir

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cookie Problem

Postby genou » December 7th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Loir wrote:Is there a way to accept all Cookies from one site but limit all the others?

Loir

Give us a clue what browser you are using.....

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 7th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Loir wrote: Is there a way to accept all Cookies from one site but limit all the others?

That varies from browser to browser. You said 'trusted site' which suggests you are using Internet Explorer - yes, that's how to do it in IE. But the problem may be that it's not just PayPal you need to trust. I don't have PayPal so can't check, but there may well be other sites involved in verifying you. If so, you need to trust them too.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 7th, 2016, 4:00 pm

For many eCommerce sites you need both first and third party cookies to be enabled.

In Internet Explorer go to settings /privacy and 'sites' and enter the web addresses for the services you want to allow.
In the 'advanced' button next to sites select what you want to do with first and third party cookies on a more general basis.

If you select 'prompt' for both first and third it will probably drive you insane after a while (guess how I know that?...).
So I would suggest 'allow' first party and 'prompt' for third party. If you block first party cookies you may not even be able to navigate some of the websites.

'Session' cookies I can't remember what I used to do, I think I ended up allowing them as it messed with the functionality if they were blocked. Try it both ways and see what the differences are.

(Bear in mind I haven't use IE for years as my default browser, I switched to Chrome).

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » December 7th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Sorry I forgot to say, it's Internet Explorer.
Thanks for the suggestion to find other sites that need to set cookies.
For PayPal it's PayPalObjects.

Thanks

Loir

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”