Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Installing Vanilla Android OS rather than OEM bloated Android?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Installing Vanilla Android OS rather than OEM bloated Android?

Postby Infrasonic » December 31st, 2016, 4:04 pm

I wouldn't install vanilla Nougat just yet.

There's issues with various phones going into boot loop with it (including Googles latest Pixel phones), so it might be worth hanging on for the next update before re-flashing.

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » December 31st, 2016, 6:22 pm

FredBloggs wrote:DAK, if you can take a LG, Samsung, HTC etc..... mobile and replace the awful bloated OEM Android installed on these phones and replace it with a plain Vanilla Android install?

While not "plain Vanilla", I have been experimenting installing "Custom ROMs". These are people who have taken the stock Android and using their own development skills have tried to improve it. Having said that, one version of Paranoid Android looked a lot like stock Android, but probably because the features from older versions hadn't been brought forward yet.

So far I have managed to install Paranoid Android, AOKP and pac-rom. They do seem to run faster (on my Nexus 7 tablet) than the stock Android, but I haven't used any of them in anger yet.

You may want to consider looking into custom ROMs. Here are the ones I know about:
CyanogenMod (that project has just been killed just before Christmas, but is coming back as LineageOS)
Paranoid Android
AOKP
Pac-ROM (cherry picking the best bits from the three above)
Slimroms (also sometimes called Slim Bean)
Omnirom
Miui

See for each one whether an image exists for your device.

If you want any help on installing them, let me know. I am not an expert yet, but I have managed to at least install (some of) these and the Google Apps (GApps) on top.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 31st, 2016, 10:41 pm

I'm taking an interest in this thread as I own a Oneplus One phone. This uses CyanogenMod, which as mentioned above is being discontinued.

Whilst reluctant to mess with things, I'm wondering if the lack of future support might lead to problems, such as an increased susceptibility to viruses. So I may have to overcome my reluctance and look at running something else on it.

Are there any other concerned OPO owners out there?

Staffordian

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » January 1st, 2017, 9:44 am

staffordian wrote:Whilst reluctant to mess with things, I'm wondering if the lack of future support might lead to problems, such as an increased susceptibility to viruses. So I may have to overcome my reluctance and look at running something else on it.

Last night I thought I had read about one of the manufacturers introducing an update that would move away from Cyanogen, so I went looking for the article and I can't find it. It might not be OnePlus, but maybe Wileyfox.

I suppose once Lineage OS comes online you might want to consider them, because that is Cyanogen.

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » January 1st, 2017, 9:53 am

FredBloggs wrote:In a nutshell I want any future phone to be just like my Nexus 5. Reliable and no unenecessary padding.

Slimroms sounds like it would be ideal for you. However, just having looked at their downloads section, there is no build for the LG G5.

If and when I learn enough to build Androids myself, I think I would be able to build a pure Android for a phone without the OEM bits, but with the drivers for that particular hardware, but I can't honestly say when that might be I'm afraid.

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » February 17th, 2017, 4:35 pm

FredBloggs wrote:Thanks. It seems very hit and miss googling this stuff. I've learned a lot from this tbread already.

Fred.

Hi Fred,
Did you get anywhere with this?
I am gradually learning stuff about installing other "ROMs". One useful place for me, and I think might be a good starting place for you too is the xda developers forum:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/

You can type "LG G5" into the box at the top and the development forum is where you will find "ROMs", both custom and stock Android (hopefully).

For your convenience, here is the link to take you straight to the development forum.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/development

I can talk you through how to install something if you need help.

Regards
sgc

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”