Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

LAN/Ethernet not working on GA-H81M-H

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
meldrewreborn

LAN/Ethernet not working on GA-H81M-H

Postby meldrewreborn » January 6th, 2017, 1:58 pm

This is more of a tip rather than a problem. after working happily for 16 months the LAN suddenly stopped working (causing loss of internet connection) on a windows 10 computer 64 bit using the gigabyte GA-H81M-H (rev2.0) MB. the ISP said its a faulty router and windows said it was a faulty Ethernet cable. Windows reported the port was working fine - but it wasn't as there were no LEDs illuminated by the Realtek Ethernet port. Eventually I came across a potential fix:

Turn off computer
Remove mains cable
Press on switch for a few seconds
clear CMOS (I removed the battery for a short time)
put everything back together and hey presto LAN working and internet restored.

Whether this is a fault that affects many computer brands I'm unaware but it's BL***y annoying as the fault appears to be in the software controlling the MB and is embedded on the board.

But hopefully my experience might just help others.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: LAN/Ethernet not working on GA-H81M-H

Postby Breelander » January 6th, 2017, 4:48 pm

meldrewreborn wrote:...Eventually I came across a potential fix:

Turn off computer
Remove mains cable
Press on switch for a few seconds
clear CMOS (I removed the battery for a short time)

... hopefully my experience might just help others.

This is a good fix for a multitude of problems, all involving a device's hardware register retaining a value its driver is not designed to cope with. Once in a blue moon my laptop's touchpad stops responding, a restart won't fix it. Removing the battery and holding the power button is the only fix that works (fortunately I don't need to go as far as resetting the CMOS, that would involve dismantling the laptop :) ).

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”