Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

User Name and Password not saved

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
IsleofWightPete
Lemon Pip

User Name and Password not saved

Postby IsleofWightPete » January 6th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I have not used the MoneyClaim online (MCOL) service for a while, but when I tried to logon today, my computer had forgotten my Username and Password (which it used to autofill for me). I duly spent an hour digging through old files to find the details, and logged on, expecting to get the request "Do you want Google to remember these details for you" (or whatever the actual wording is). However, it didn't ask.
When I logged out and tried to log in again, it again did not autofill, and again did not ask to ask about storing U/N & P/W when I re-entered them.

Is this likely to be a fault (or a "feature") of the MCOL service, or is the fault likely to be in Google somehow? AFAIK, the MCOL site used to work fine with autofill, and other sites I visit are still working fine with autofill, so it looks likely to be a change on MCOL.

Any thoughts / comments?

I am aware of (but have never used) software that offers a password "vault" but I don't know if that would work if MCOL is not allowing U/N & P/W to be autofilled

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: User Name and Password not saved

Postby Slarti » January 6th, 2017, 3:25 pm

I use a number of sites that will not allow Firefox to remember the user ID, or at least not to feed them into the login fields.

Some, like banks, I think that this is a good thing, others it is just an annoyance as there is nothing secure there. At least not from my point of view.

Slarti

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 6th, 2017, 6:19 pm

IsleofWightPete wrote:I have not used the MoneyClaim online (MCOL) service for a while, but when I tried to logon today, my computer had forgotten my Username and Password (which it used to autofill for me). I duly spent an hour digging through old files to find the details, and logged on, expecting to get the request "Do you want Google to remember these details for you" (or whatever the actual wording is). However, it didn't ask.
When I logged out and tried to log in again, it again did not autofill, and again did not ask to ask about storing U/N & P/W when I re-entered them.

Is this likely to be a fault (or a "feature") of the MCOL service, or is the fault likely to be in Google somehow? AFAIK, the MCOL site used to work fine with autofill, and other sites I visit are still working fine with autofill, so it looks likely to be a change on MCOL.

Any thoughts / comments?

I am aware of (but have never used) software that offers a password "vault" but I don't know if that would work if MCOL is not allowing U/N & P/W to be autofilled

Have you checked in settings - advanced settings - and the one you seek is not in the 'never saved' list?

Lazarus app might work.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dkppkifgno

IsleofWightPete
Lemon Pip

Postby IsleofWightPete » January 6th, 2017, 9:31 pm

supremetwo wrote:Have you checked in settings - advanced settings - and the one you seek is not in the 'never saved'

I hadn't- but I have now, and it's not that (unfortunately).

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » January 7th, 2017, 3:48 pm

IsleofWightPete wrote:Is this likely to be a fault (or a "feature") of the MCOL service, or is the fault likely to be in Google somehow? AFAIK, the MCOL site used to work fine with autofill, and other sites I visit are still working fine with autofill, so it looks likely to be a change on MCOL.

Any thoughts / comments?

It is more than likely the MCOL site.

The HTML underlying the MCOL login page identifies that the <form> element has its autocomplete attribute set to "off", so it was certainly the page designer's intention that the autocomplete function should be disabled.

I say "more than likely" and "intention" because autocomplete is not without controversy. I am not a real expert in this area but this StackOverflow page suggests that browsers do not always respect page designer's intentions and browsers differ in where they require the "autocomplete=off" instruction to be placed. In addition, the StackOverflow page suggests that the instruction is required to be specified in a different format as "autocomplete=false" in some browsers.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 7th, 2017, 9:40 pm

modellingman wrote:The HTML underlying the MCOL login page identifies that the <form> element has its autocomplete attribute set to "off", so it was certainly the page designer's intention that the autocomplete function should be disabled.

Well it would seem the page designer's intention hasn't been fulfilled, as I just went to the Moneyclaim website and it autofilled my User ID and password.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”