Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Maybe a database????

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Maybe a database????

Postby GarraGee » January 7th, 2017, 6:09 pm

I've been asked by a local group for some help. They have a list of members names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses and this is divided into approx. 8 - 10 groups, depending on the function carried out by each member.

The list is currently typed.

The main requirement will be the ability to send emails periodically to all members as needed with a click of the button.

I guess we could use Gmail or another online program?

Or could we use some software on a PC running W10 or an earlier version of Windows? I think this might be the better option.

I suppose I'm looking at a simple database that would hold all the names and messages would be typed and then click a button to send.

I hope I have explained this clearly, but would be pleased to give more detail as needed.

Thanks

gg

OccasionalDelurker

Re: Maybe a database????

Postby OccasionalDelurker » January 8th, 2017, 12:01 am

Would creating and using email groups meet your requirement?

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 8th, 2017, 12:17 am

OccasionalDelurker wrote:Would creating and using email groups meet your requirement?

Very possibly, depending on who is responsible for it and their level of PC competence. I haven't yet got to this consideration.

When you say 'email groups' are you suggesting something like GMail? Or something run on the PC?

Thanks for the input.

GG

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 8th, 2017, 12:40 am

My neighbourhood used to have a yahoo group.

Then we switched to FaceBook.

Now we use Nextdoor:

https://nextdoor.co.uk/

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 8th, 2017, 9:40 am

A database might be slightly overkill. Perhaps just a spreadsheet with a column for each group. You can do mailmerge/email from a spreadsheet, and it could also be printed easily.

But it depends who is sending messsages and managing the list:

If the senders are all from the same 'office', or a very small group who can share on Dropbox (et al) AND you want the list to be centrally managed, then a database/spreadsheet solution would be ok.

If there are a larger number of potential senders, or you want individuals to manage their own membership, then the public group options discussed in the previous replies are easier.

Gryff

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 8th, 2017, 11:49 am

gryffron wrote:A database might be slightly overkill. Perhaps just a spreadsheet with a column for each group. You can do mailmerge/email from a spreadsheet, and it could also be printed easily.

But it depends who is sending messsages and managing the list:

If the senders are all from the same 'office', or a very small group who can share on Dropbox (et al) AND you want the list to be centrally managed, then a database/spreadsheet solution would be ok.

If there are a larger number of potential senders, or you want individuals to manage their own membership, then the public group options discussed in the previous replies are easier.

Gryff

Many thanks to all respondents. I now need to get more info on how the group plans to manage the list but The spreadsheet option seems about right.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 9th, 2017, 2:15 pm

If you decide to use a spreadsheet, make sure that there is one column for email address. Then create another blank column alongside; each row entry in that column contains a simple formula that takes the adjacent email address and suffixes it with a ';' or whatever divider your email system uses to separate addresses. For example, if A1 contains an email address, B1 would contain =A1&";" (i.e. A1 concatenated with a ';').
Then whenever you want to send a bulk email, just select and copy the new column into the email system's Bcc: address bar (never use To: or Cc: for bulk email, but I guess you know that already).
Crude but effective and easy to maintain!

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 9th, 2017, 4:57 pm

stewamax wrote:If you decide to use a spreadsheet, make sure that there is one column for email address. Then create another blank column alongside; each row entry in that column contains a simple formula that takes the adjacent email address and suffixes it with a ';' or whatever divider your email system uses to separate addresses. For example, if A1 contains an email address, B1 would contain =A1&";" (i.e. A1 concatenated with a ';').
Then whenever you want to send a bulk email, just select and copy the new column into the email system's Bcc: address bar (never use To: or Cc: for bulk email, but I guess you know that already).
Crude but effective and easy to maintain!

Thanks. Just one question - would that work with GMail?, online, obviously, Or would it need something like Thunderbird actually on the PC. Hope I've explained myself!!!

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 9th, 2017, 10:07 pm

You can normally paste into the address line of any email client - web-based or PC client. Why not mock an example up and try it.
If you are using Windows and paste is not offered as a menu option, remember that Ctrl-C copies and Ctrl-V pastes.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 10th, 2017, 11:14 am

GarraGee wrote:I've been asked by a local group for some help. They have a list of members names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses and this is divided into approx. 8 - 10 groups, depending on the function carried out by each member.

The list is currently typed.

The main requirement will be the ability to send emails periodically to all members as needed with a click of the button.

I guess we could use Gmail or another online program?

Gmail, gmail, and also gmail.

Within Gmail you can have your list of contacts, and you can also have groups, and people can be in as many groups as necessary.

As it's online, as long as you are, you (or, indeed, the whole committee) can have access. Rather than from a specific PC and a specific person.

We use it for our Explorer Scouts, and have several leaders from several units log in and send emails to their respective explorers and parents, and we can also send emails to everyone. We might also set up a group for, say, summer camp, and send emails just to that group. All the emails parents and explorers send can be read by everyone with access, and they're all kept forever.

The people you set up as contacts can also have phone numbers and addresses.

If you needed to do an old fashioned mailshot, you can export the data to CSV for a spreadsheet or whatever.

You can then also log into your gmail account from a smart phone. Or link the gmail account up in your smart phone, and get alerts when you get an email.

The only thing I can't do on my mobile that I can on a PC, and it might be a deal breaker, is email a group and put their email addresses in as bcc. It's easy to email a group, you just find the group in your contact list and select email, but then it just sticks them all in the "To" field, and you can't move them to bcc. Seems such an obvious thing, but no dice.

Of course, if you're using a PC, it's easy, you can put one or more groups in the to/cc/bcc field and away you go.

Maybe create a disposable gmail account and have a play. It works for us.

Ian

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”