Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

When is a switch off not a switch off !!??!!

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
martint123
Lemon Pip

When is a switch off not a switch off !!??!!

Postby martint123 » January 8th, 2017, 5:16 pm

I was having a problem where a USB port was not accepting USB memory sticks. Device manager showed the yellow warning and deleting the device and rebooting or powering off resulted in the same problem.

After a lot of searching I discovered that powering down and unplugging power didn't do a full reset.
In Windows powering down with shift pressed did do a full reset and let my USB devices be seen.
Powering down with shift certainly takes longer and the restart longer as well.

Seems to have started with Windows 8 and runs a kernel version of hibernate to speed up the "user experience"

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: When is a switch off not a switch off !!??!!

Postby Breelander » January 8th, 2017, 5:31 pm

martint123 wrote:In Windows powering down with shift pressed did do a full reset and let my USB devices be seen.

A Restart, rather than a shut down/start up would probably have worked too.

martint123 wrote:Seems to have started with Windows 8 and runs a kernel version of hibernate to speed up the "user experience"

Yes. In Windows 10 it's called 'fast startup'. It's enabled by default, but you can turn it off in Settings.
TenForums Tutorial wrote:To Turn On or Off Fast Startup in System Settings
1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the Power Options icon...
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/418 ... ml#option1

For a truly 'cold' start that resets every bit of hardware: fully shut down the PC, remove the power lead (and battery, if it's a laptop) then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: When is a switch off not a switch off !!??!!

Postby Slarti » January 8th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Breelander wrote:
martint123 wrote:In Windows powering down with shift pressed did do a full reset and let my USB devices be seen.

A Restart, rather than a shut down/start up would probably have worked too.

martint123 wrote:Seems to have started with Windows 8 and runs a kernel version of hibernate to speed up the "user experience"

Yes. In Windows 10 it's called 'fast startup'. It's enabled by default, but you can turn it off in Settings.
TenForums Tutorial wrote:To Turn On or Off Fast Startup in System Settings
1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the Power Options icon...
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/418 ... ml#option1

For a truly 'cold' start that resets every bit of hardware: fully shut down the PC, remove the power lead (and battery, if it's a laptop) then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power.

I'd argue that the restart wouldn't have done the trick as it never has in any earlier versions of Windows. You need a cold start to ensure everything is out of memory and swap files, which doesn't happen with a restart. In my experience.

To get the True cold start wouldn't you need to do Martin's shift and power down and then remove the power and press and hold for 30 seconds, so as to avoid any hint of a "fast start" bringing back the problem trying to be avoided?

Also, does this mean that you now need to remove power and do a 30 second hold before doing any physical work?

Slarti

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”