Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Nokia C3-01

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Nokia C3-01

Postby GarraGee » January 11th, 2017, 7:32 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_C3_Touch_and_Type

My trusty C3 has gone kaput!! I think it's a problem with the touch screen because I can't get past that stage - it can receive calls but nothing happens when I swipe to answer. It's on charge at the moment but still not working.

Hopefully, it can be an easy repair at one of the local shops, but I just wondered if Lemon Fools had any tips.

I'm quite happy to buy another phone but I don't feel ready for a smart phone, although I'm always being told to switch to an iPhone by my son :o

Thanks

GG

shinygoldcar

Re: Nokia C3-01

Postby shinygoldcar » January 11th, 2017, 9:09 am

Hi GG,
What's your repair budget?
You can always buy a second-hand Nokia C3-01. Cex (https://uk.webuy.com) have them on sale for £45 (other outlets exist, you may have seen them on your high street). So if you are quoted not much less than that for a repair, it might be worth considering getting another.

I happen to know this because I've been looking into this recently (but just checked to make sure): Argos sell the cheapest (new, SIM-free) Android phone. The Alba 4 inch 3G mobile is currently on sale for £30. But this is a smart phone, I just thought you might find it interesting to look at the costs involved. And I daresay the Alba probably isn't powerful enough to run all those apps that you don't need, so no need to worry there.

Regards
sgc

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 11th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Thanks. I can see the normal screen but I can't select the normal things, i.e. move between messages, go to settings, etc. Because of this I reckon it's maybe the digitiser rather than the screen itself.

I'll see what the local shop suggests and go from there.

GG

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 11th, 2017, 2:10 pm

GarraGee wrote:I'm quite happy to buy another phone...

Would you feel happy dismantling your phone? The C3-01 does seem to have more than its fair share of touchscreen problems. This thread includes many posts from those who had to take theirs to a Nokia Care Centre to get it repaired - plus one enterprising individual who managed to fix it themselves...
CMDR---01 wrote:In my case, the connection between the screen and the ribbon cable seemed to loose over the time. I realized it when I gently pressed the phone on its upper left corner, right between the speaker and the left corner. Then, the touch screen worked perfectly...

My solution: ...I disassemled the phone, used ... a patch ... and applied it on the area whare the ribbon calbe is soldered to the touch screen. Then, I reassembled the phone, and voila! it works like a new one. All you need is a t5 screwdriver, a self-adhesive patch and the youtube video that shows how to disassemble a C3-01. Time it takes is around 15 minutes, do it slowly and careful!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mob ... 1c6?page=9

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 11th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Thanks. On second thoughts, after watching the YouTube video, I think it could be digitiser that's at fault, rather than the actual screen.

I say that because I can still read the screen, albeit that I can't move around to other menus.

I'll see what the local shops say.

GG

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”