Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Anybody here use autofill?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Anybody here use autofill?

Postby Slarti » January 11th, 2017, 11:38 am

Especially on Chrome, Opera, Safari or use LastPass ?

If so you need to read this and take action https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/10/browser-autofill-used-to-steal-personal-details-in-new-phising-attack-chrome-safari

Slarti

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Re: Anybody here use autofill?

Postby Satsuma » January 11th, 2017, 11:42 am

Yikes! Thank you for the heads-up Slarti!

(Are we still offering recs? If so, have one)

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » January 11th, 2017, 1:07 pm

The phishing attack still relies on users being tricked into entering at least some information into an online form, but unsuspecting users could be tricked into entering more than they bargained for relatively easily.

You still have to be giving your details to a phisher, it's just that you may think you're giving your name and email address, but you are also giving your address, maybe date of birth.

I think certainly Chrome is clever enough to know not to autofill debit/credit card numbers if it is not a trusted https site, and not autofill passwords for sites other than the one the password is for.

But I'm not saying don't worry, just that if you are already on your guard against phishing, then you are most likely not going to be affected by this attack.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm

I've never used autofill on any browser due to nagging security paranoia, although I do use auto-logins for non financial sites and services.

But then if you do it all manually you could still be compromised a keylogger...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”