Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Old laptops

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
didds
Lemon Half

Old laptops

Postby didds » January 14th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I have via various means ended up with about half a dozen old laptops in varying states of usefullness, but old versions of windows.

A couple have working (rebuilt via factory default reset) versions of Vista and run OK

The rest however are a real rag bag bunch.

* Dell Inspiron N5010 that needs a HD replacing - and is almost impossible to swap the HD out on as it requires taking the entire laptop apart to do it.
* Advent Monza V100 that had Win 8 on it and got corrupted/HD died. There's a new HD in it and I stuck Mint 14 on it as PoC that all "was good". I have win8 isos to install win 8 again, but no key
* an acer with HD issues
* a fujitsu with odd constant beeping noise at boot and keyboard that doesn't respond overly well. memory reseat maybe... but the screws are soime wierd very small "bore" sort of allen key interface so i can't get to the insides anyway!

the dell is going ton have to end up in the bin I think.
the advent i could buy one of these serial keys off ebay. but the concern there is how genuine is it? will it just become non genuine after a few weeks?
the acer... i'm giving it a it a full chkdsk now and hoping that sorts it. this may be salvagable as i can at least get to the HD to replace
the fujitsu will probably also end up in the bin

what do others do with similar old kit? The salvagable couple I could put a linux desktop on them, but nobody is going to be interested in them, whether I sold then dirt cheap for students/whoever, or gave them to a charity (eg we have a local domestic violence sheltered homes charity) as I fear they'll just end up unused or in landfill as they are not windows and people just wonlt "like" them.

any ideas? I don;t have any need for them at home - ive other systems i play with already! LOL,.

didds

ggmhx-tj494-vtpcm-239tv-y3mr6

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old laptops

Postby Breelander » January 14th, 2017, 3:00 pm

didds wrote:I have via various means ended up with about half a dozen old laptops in varying states of usefullness, but old versions of windows.

* Advent Monza V100 that had Win 8 on it and got corrupted/HD died. There's a new HD in it and I stuck Mint 14 on it as PoC that all "was good". I have win8 isos to install win 8 again, but no key
the advent i could buy one of these serial keys off ebay. but the concern there is how genuine is it? will it just become non genuine after a few weeks?

No need to get a key at all. Starting with machines designed and built for Windows 8 a new method of providing the OEM key was developed. It is actually embedded in the Bios. Provided you install the same type (standard or Pro) it should automatically detect the key in the Bios and activate. The only time you would want a key would be if you wanted to upgrade a standard machine to 8 Pro. See: http://superuser.com/questions/513904/h ... n-the-bios

You could equally well install Windows 10. That too will detect the qualifying 8.0 OEM key in the Bios and will install the appropriate edition (Home or Pro). Apparently, though officially over, the free upgrade still works - so that too would become activated automatically.

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » January 14th, 2017, 4:52 pm

If any are really no use to you, don't throw them away. There are various charities which will take them, refurbish then and send then to Africa and other places.

This is one I know:
http://www.computeraid.org/donate.html

Loir

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 17th, 2017, 5:06 pm

You're not kidding about that Dell laptop, what were they thinking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5YSPimZCk

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 18th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Infrasonic wrote:You're not kidding about that Dell laptop, what were they thinking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5YSPimZCk

I have one of these and it has just gone phut.

The HDD though is fine.

I have actually switched it before and it is doable, but a right old PITA.

Now I'm going to have to do it again.

Grr.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”