Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Openreach Query

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
XFool
The full Lemon

Openreach Query

Postby XFool » January 15th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Anyone have any experience of using the new Openreach NTE 5C master socket?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/a-quick-look-at-bt-openreachs-new-nte5c-master-socket.html

It is now Openreach policy to roll these out automatically for installation at consumer's premises whenever an engineer has gained access.

Trouble is, I had one installed following an engineer visit to clear a line fault. They are supposed to be better suited to more demanding environments - which is what I need. Trouble is, mine is failing after about a couple of months use. My previous standard NTE 5 failed for environmental reasons, but it had been in use for more like a couple of decades!

None of the electrical contact surfaces in the new 5C unit seem to have any gold flashing. The sockets on my unit - including the Test socket - are now very noisy and crackly. Today I had to apologise to the emergency services operator that I was not calling 999 and was asked to clear the line!

These things are being rolled out to everyone. Could this be a one off or, potentially, a BT/Openreach major fail?

Anybody heard anything, know anything?

"* Some extra work on the design has also been done to better protect the cables / circuitry inside from corrosion."

Oops!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”