Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Installing google chrome

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Installing google chrome

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2017, 4:35 pm

As Microsoft Edge (the browser which came with my new HP laptop) is incompatible with Selftrade's website and as I found last year that much of the print out after I had done my online tax return was garbled (can't remember which browser used), and others have had no probs. with chrome, I thought I wd. instal it before starting on my return for last year. However, although I clicked on instal and there is something in my downloads, there is no icon on my desktop. After the installation process, a box came up asking if I wanted this app. to make changes to my p.c. Should I have clicked yes or no? Another one said chrome could be installed without administrator privileges and did I want to continue, yes or no.

This 80 yr old lady hasn't a clue what any of this means. What is more, my 46 yr old son hasn't either. He went on Team Viewer but ground to a halt as I did. I don't have a mobile I would wish to use for the internet. I do have a tablet which currently is not receiving my incoming e-mails (none of the family can tell me why) so I don't use it to save myself going upstairs to the computer and again don't need a google chrome app on it, but it seems I am obliged to have the app. regardless.

I see there is now an icon at the bottom of my computer asking the question about continuing without admin. prlvileges. Can anyone help? TIA

shinygoldcar

Re: Installing google chrome

Postby shinygoldcar » January 18th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Hi Bouleversee
I take it your computer is a Windows one? Which version of Windows? I'm only familiar with versions up to Windows 7.

I know for Windows 7 and earlier, if you want to start Google Chrome and there is no shortcut on your desktop, then click on the Windows button in the bottom left corner and look for Google Chrome, possibly in "All Programs". When you find it, if you click on it you will start it, or if you right-click on it, you will have the option to "pin" it to either the taskbar or start menu to make finding it easier.

However, I suspect you are using Windows 8 or 10. (And I've just spotted you said it is a new laptop, so Windows 10 is most likely)
Generally, it is better from an online security point-of-view for chrome (and all non-system apps) to be installed without administrator privileges, but often it is because it is more convenient. I suspect the first box asked if you wanted the app to make changes to your pc, which is the same as asking if you wanted it to have administrator privileges, and I think you clicked yes. And I think the second box was asking if you were sure, making the point that it did not have to have administrator privileges.

I don't want to sound patronising, but you did say you don't have a clue what it means, so I am going to try and explain. I think a good analogy would be to imagine the computer is an organisation, and all apps are employees. It might not be appropriate to give all keys and all alarm codes (or give authorisation to make payments from the company bank account) to the janitor or the cleaner or even an office worker, though it might be more convenient. In the same way, it might not be appropriate to give administrator privileges (that is the authorisation to change restricted parts of the computer) to all software, though in some cases it may be more convenient.

Even if you trust the software itself is not malicious, in theory a hacker could exploit a weakness in an app such as chrome and control it. If the app under the hacker's control has administrator privileges, then the hacker has administrator privileges. But if the app has only user privileges, then the hacker would not be able to make damaging changes to your computer.

So I suggest continuing without admin privileges.

However, whichever you go with, your computer should still function and Chrome will still be installed.

Hope that helps.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 18th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Bouleversee wrote:As Microsoft Edge (the browser which came with my new HP laptop) is incompatible with Selftrade's website and as I found last year that much of the print out after I had done my online tax return was garbled (can't remember which browser used), and others have had no probs. with chrome, I thought I wd. instal it before starting on my return for last year. However, although I clicked on instal and there is something in my downloads, there is no icon on my desktop. After the installation process, a box came up asking if I wanted this app. to make changes to my p.c. Should I have clicked yes or no? Another one said chrome could be installed without administrator privileges and did I want to continue, yes or no.

This 80 yr old lady hasn't a clue what any of this means. What is more, my 46 yr old son hasn't either. He went on Team Viewer but ground to a halt as I did. I don't have a mobile I would wish to use for the internet. I do have a tablet which currently is not receiving my incoming e-mails (none of the family can tell me why) so I don't use it to save myself going upstairs to the computer and again don't need a google chrome app on it, but it seems I am obliged to have the app. regardless.

I see there is now an icon at the bottom of my computer asking the question about continuing without admin. prlvileges. Can anyone help? TIA

==========================
quick response - yes , you should have clicked yes to allow the app to make changes - this is normal for windows 10 i think .

i never bother with administrator privileges.

you are not alone in the clueless department , this nearly 80 yr old was a seriously experienced computer programmer back before the internet etc and still struggling to get to grips with the new stuff - but it will come .

ps. opera browser is useful also.

:)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Yes, I do have Windows 10.

Reading both replies, it would seem that you two are not singing from the same hymn sheet, or I am not understanding. Waiting for son to confirm whether we said yes or no to allowing the app. to make changes.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 18th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Waiting for son to confirm whether we said yes or no to allowing the app. to make changes.

I would have expected that saying "No" to an install program asking about making changes to the machine is going to cause the installation to fail. Asking permission is something install programs have being doing for many years.

shinygoldcar

Postby shinygoldcar » January 18th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Alaric wrote:I would have expected that saying "No" to an install program asking about making changes to the machine is going to cause the installation to fail. Asking permission is something install programs have being doing for many years.

Good point Alaric.
If it is the install program, rather than Chrome itself, that wants administrator privileges, then saying yes is correct.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2017, 10:08 pm

How long does it take to download the final bit? Having read the last post, I decided to click on contine and it started downloading, looked like a rope with something moving along it, and that must be well over half an hour ago. Is someone downloading everything on my hard drive? How I hate computers.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 19th, 2017, 1:11 pm

It's usual for installations to ask for administrator permissions if they need to install something into a privileged area which itself is quite common. If the computer is single-user, the user will automatically have the authority to allow this. Saying 'no' will at the least fail the installation and usually abort it.

(OT, my usual difficulty is preventing Chrome installing itself as it seems to arrive on the back of many packages these days and you need to be watchful for a sneaky question during their installation).

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 19th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Bouleversee wrote:How long does it take to download the final bit? Having read the last post, I decided to click on contine and it started downloading, looked like a rope with something moving along it, and that must be well over half an hour ago. Is someone downloading everything on my hard drive? How I hate computers.

Depends mostly on your download speed, there are a few tens of MB to fetch. Depends also on how busy things are generally in Chrome's wide world and whether your computer is also doing some updating, though 'well over half an hour' is quite long. Do you know what the speed of your line is?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 19th, 2017, 3:46 pm

It's very slow, less than 3mbs I think, so that is what the problem must be. I asked a week or so to upgrade to fibre, which is available here, but although I was told it could be done within 7 days and I have already received the router they are now telling me it won't happen till Jan 31, too late for my tax return.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 19th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Bouleversee wrote:It's very slow, less than 3mbs I think, so that is what the problem must be. I asked a week or so to upgrade to fibre, which is available here, but although I was told it could be done within 7 days and I have already received the router they are now telling me it won't happen till Jan 31, too late for my tax return.

I'm not clear what your issue is in respect of actually submitting your tax return. It seems that you can do your tax return, but cannot print it out. The tax return will sit there quite happily to be retrieved after you have resolved your browser issues. Currently I am offered the choice of view / save / print in either B&W or colour.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 19th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Genou -

Many thanks for explaining that. This will be my first attempt at submitting an online return solo so I am somewhat nervous. I didn't realise one could return to the return and print it out later (pathetic, I know!) so thanks for explaining that. I will summon up my courage and have a go at submitting it tomorrow and deal with the browser issue when I am on fibre.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 21st, 2017, 9:22 pm

Thanks, Fred. I managed to submit and print my tax return today. Will save the chrome installation till I have fibre and do exactly as you suggest.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 22nd, 2017, 8:31 am

quelquod wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:How long does it take to download the final bit? Having read the last post, I decided to click on contine and it started downloading, looked like a rope with something moving along it, and that must be well over half an hour ago. Is someone downloading everything on my hard drive? How I hate computers.

Depends mostly on your download speed, there are a few tens of MB to fetch. Depends also on how busy things are generally in Chrome's wide world and whether your computer is also doing some updating, though 'well over half an hour' is quite long. Do you know what the speed of your line is?

===========================

these browsers should not take half an hour to install .

either the line speed is extremely slow , and / or the computer needs serious laxative treatment.

are you able to watch videos on youtube? that would indicate line speed issues .

:?:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 22nd, 2017, 10:27 am

Jackdaww -

As stated in a previous post, my speed is extremely slow (less than 3mbs) which I why I am switching to fibre. My laptop is new so that shouldn't be the problem although I do have some issues with it. Waiting to see whether all will be resolved by fibre switch on 3l Jan.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2017, 10:56 am

Bouleversee wrote:As stated in a previous post, my speed is extremely slow (less than 3mbs) which I why I am switching to fibre. My laptop is new so that shouldn't be the problem although I do have some issues with it. Waiting to see whether all will be resolved by fibre switch on 3l Jan.

Even at that speed it shouldn't take more than two or three minutes to download the few tens of megabytes needed to install Chrome.

Scott.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”