Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Spam MAil

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mccarpark

Spam MAil

Postby mccarpark » January 19th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I am getting 20/30 emails a day from various email addresses all along the same lines of making easy money with a program which is available at the click of a button.
I 'have a webmail account so I can delete them before downloading my emails but it is gettong tiresome and shows no sign of abating.
Anyone else have this problem?
mccarpark

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Spam MAil

Postby Breelander » January 19th, 2017, 10:36 pm

mccarpark wrote:...I 'have a webmail account so I can delete them before downloading my emails...

Which webmail? Rather than delete them in Yahoo! mail (for example) you can mark them as spam. This not only moves them to your Spam folder, but also trains the sorting algorithm so that in future they are recognised and delivered directly to your Spam folder. Other webmail providers work in a similar way, I understand.

For future protection if you can, give a different email alias to each website that asks for an email address. Yahoo (again) allows me to have up to 400 disposable email addresses, all of which will deliver to my Inbox. Should one get on a spammer's list I can just delete that disposable address to stop the spam. Gmail works somewhat differently, I understand, but it's possible to uses multiple versions of your address, then filter out the ones that get spammed.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Spam MAil

Postby Infrasonic » January 19th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Make sure you have 'active content' switched off in your inbox, so no pictures, links etc. unless from a whitelisted contact.
You might need to set your inbox up as 'exclusive' to do this so that only contacts go to your inbox.

Spammers use active content to 'phone home' to validate that your address is live and then your address automatically gets passed on to other spammers.

When I discovered this a few years back and changed my settings my spam levels dropped off dramatically.
Make sure you do it for every device you access your webmail with, which on a phone is more likely to be an app rather than browser.

You can also 'block' addresses or domains, so if they are all coming from certain domains blocking may cut down significantly.
One sneaky trick they are employing these days is that the return address will be nonsense and so you can't block it. Another ingenious one is where you get spam from your own address (spoofed) which you also can't block.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”