Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

TV deletes BBC channels each day?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

TV deletes BBC channels each day?

Postby mutantpoodle » June 24th, 2023, 6:02 pm

My new (3 months) toshiba TV needs channel installation each day
Because for some reason it. Is deleting BBC channels each day

Its fine watching throughout an evening,,,fine following lunchtime
But
By late afternoon,,,the BBC channels have gone

Ok its easy enough to do new installation but this reinstalls all the rubbish as well,

Anyone have ideas on why?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: TV deletes BBC channels each day?

Postby mc2fool » June 24th, 2023, 6:48 pm

The BBC SD channels, HD channels, or both?

Have you tried googling the problem with your exact model number, to see if anyone else has had the same?

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 25th, 2023, 8:05 am

all the BBC TV channels. ..I dont bother with the radio ones so unsure if they still installed
I will check later

not yet Googled...when I do it always shows 000,000s of replies which is un nerving!!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 25th, 2023, 9:52 am

mutantpoodle wrote:Anyone have ideas on why?

When you reinstall the channels check the signal quality on the BBC channels - it will be an option somewhere in the menu.

The BBC usually broadcast on a different multiplex and frequency to the other channels and if your aerial isn’t designed for that frequency the reception may not be as good, or they may be doing work on that multiplex and broadcasting at a lower power and you are just in the edge of reception and it is fine normally.

And with it disappearing in the afternoon, summer weather can also cause poor reception, so as the day heats up then if the signal is marginal and goes below acceptable then the TV is trying to be helpful by removing those that are unwatchable.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 25th, 2023, 10:24 am

AF62 wrote:And with it disappearing in the afternoon, summer weather can also cause poor reception, so as the day heats up then if the signal is marginal and goes below acceptable then the TV is trying to be helpful by removing those that are unwatchable.

That sounds very likely to me. If aerial location and pointing roughly south then interference from the continent could be behind this, due to the high pressure weather we have been experiencing lately.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 25th, 2023, 10:28 am

mutantpoodle wrote:all the BBC TV channels. ..I dont bother with the radio ones so unsure if they still installed
I will check later

not yet Googled...when I do it always shows 000,000s of replies which is un nerving!!

Hmmm ... well one possible reason may be either poor signal strength and/or interference, however (in my limited experience) it's unusual for a TV to simply delete channels if the mux they are on disappears; it's more normal to keep them listed but popup a "no signal" message or similar if you try and view one of them. But maybe the Toshiba is different in that respect, hence the suggestion to try googling...

Do you have any problems when watching any of the BBC channels, like dropouts, pixelation, blockiness, etc?

Do you have any problems when watching any other channels?

If it's all of them, including the HD BBC channels, once they've disappeared do you still have the other HD channels that are on the same mux (BBC B)? I.e. ITV1 HD (103) and Channel 4 HD (104). Also 5SELECT (46) and TBN UK (66). (There's a list of what's on which mux here.)

Are you sure you are picking up the right BBC region? E.g. if you are in NE London are you getting BBC London not, say, BBC Anglia?

Does your TV report (somewhere in the menus choices) what UHF channel and/or frequency the mux you are watching is transmitting on? If so, go to here and stick in your postcode and click Check and then check the "N" for BBC A against what your TV reports what UHF channel BBC1 SD is on.

Do the missing channels appear somewhere else in the programme guide? E.g. if my Samsung TV picks up duplicate channels it bungs them into the 800s. Google to see what your Toshiba may do.

Finally, has the problem been happening ever since you bought it, or is it just recent-ish?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 25th, 2023, 10:54 am

...OP hasn't exactly specified what happens:

"By late afternoon,,,the BBC channels have gone"

Could mean any number of things.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 25th, 2023, 11:17 am

mc2fool wrote:(in my limited experience) it's unusual for a TV to simply delete channels if the mux they are on disappears; it's more normal to keep them listed but popup a "no signal" message or similar if you try and view one of them.

My Samsung TV pops up a message offering to delete the channel if is not receiving a sufficient quality signal (happens on Quest HD for me each summer), so it isn’t improbable that a manufacturer has decided to go a stage further and removed the pop-up and just deletes it - which is likely to result in more warranty queries - My TV can’t show this channel or my TV deletes this channel?

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 25th, 2023, 11:44 am

BBC channels all recvd fine for last 30+ years at this address

havent noticed them apearing in different places in the EPG,,,,but will look

no warnings of poor signal...ad when I re install all are 100% fine

when i say 'disappear' I mean they are no longer in place on EPG

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 25th, 2023, 12:10 pm

I have a small DAB radio which has suddenly declared "No ensemble" on all three of my preset channels. My car has DAB radio available, but I cannot find the stations that I want. Radio 1 and the local regional stations are available, but Radio 2, 3, 4, 5, 5 Live sports extra. All missing. Plenty of commercial stations playing stuff I do not want, but no Classic FM.

I wonder if the TV is having similar problems?

TJH

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 25th, 2023, 12:28 pm

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:(in my limited experience) it's unusual for a TV to simply delete channels if the mux they are on disappears; it's more normal to keep them listed but popup a "no signal" message or similar if you try and view one of them.

My Samsung TV pops up a message offering to delete the channel if is not receiving a sufficient quality signal (happens on Quest HD for me each summer), so it isn’t improbable that a manufacturer has decided to go a stage further and removed the pop-up and just deletes it - which is likely to result in more warranty queries - My TV can’t show this channel or my TV deletes this channel?

Well you won't have that problem any more ... Quest HD (along with BBC News HD, FreeSports, PBS America+1, More4+1, QVC HD, QVC Beauty HD, Forces TV, CBS Justice and Craft Extra) all disappeared when the COM7 mux was switched off last year to give the frequencies over for 5G!

My Samsung TV does as yours if a channel disappears from a mux but not if the whole mux disappears. Doing the latter automatically would really be problematic methinks 'cos if the aerial got disconnected, purposely or otherwise, then everything would disappear. (Which is not to say no manufacturer would implement it that way.... ;) )

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 25th, 2023, 2:11 pm

mc2fool wrote:Well you won't have that problem any more ... Quest HD (along with BBC News HD, FreeSports, PBS America+1, More4+1, QVC HD, QVC Beauty HD, Forces TV, CBS Justice and Craft Extra) all disappeared when the COM7 mux was switched off last year to give the frequencies over for 5G!

I certainly won’t, as I swapped over to using Freesat when 4HD returned as the TV has a connection for that and my house has an old Sky dish :lol:

mc2fool wrote:Which is not to say no manufacturer would implement it that way.... ;) )

Exactly, never underestimate the stupidity of manufacturers trying to be ‘helpful’.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 26th, 2023, 8:01 am

well I did a Google
and results suggest that the signal is weak so channels lost
but
my previous (samsung) did as others say...advise weak signal...but never deleted

my other TV on same aerial in next room has no issues and recieves all without problems

I can find no way to redirect signal receipt on this Toshiba, the old samsung gave me options to select different transmitter masts etc and regions...Toshiba does not...(Or at least so far not discovered)

I shall leave TV on BBC this afternoon switched on and see if it loses itself or what happens

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 26th, 2023, 9:35 am

mutantpoodle wrote:I shall leave TV on BBC this afternoon switched on and see if it loses itself or what happens

Finally, as an alternative, I reckon there are a few on TLF who you might be able to sell your errant receiver to. :|

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 26th, 2023, 10:31 am

XFool wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:I shall leave TV on BBC this afternoon switched on and see if it loses itself or what happens

Finally, as an alternative, I reckon there are a few on TLF who you might be able to sell your errant receiver to. :|

well I am not a million miles from wanting to lose it!...shame to lose money in just 3 months but am now too old for daily inconveniences like this

am open gto offers....NOT the usual Facebook stupid ones!!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 26th, 2023, 10:54 am

mutantpoodle wrote:
XFool wrote:Finally, as an alternative, I reckon there are a few on TLF who you might be able to sell your errant receiver to. :|

well I am not a million miles from wanting to lose it!...shame to lose money in just 3 months but am now too old for daily inconveniences like this

am open gto offers....NOT the usual Facebook stupid ones!!

It's only 3 months old so I reckon you should at least try either swapping it for another the same (in case it's a problem with your particular TV) or getting a refund under the guarantee.

You didn't say if the problem has been happening ever since you bought it, or if it's just recent-ish.

Nor if it's just BBC channels or if you also lose ITV1 HD (103), Channel 4 HD (104), 5SELECT (46) and TBN UK (66).

I'd trying leaving both your TVs on this afternoon and seeing what happens on both. Another possibility is that somebody near you is turning on some nasty electrical noise making bit of kit each afternoon, and seeing if your other TV is affected (even if it doesn't lose channels) may hint at that. It may also be worth noting the times the Toshiba loses the BBC channels; if it turns out to be the same time every day that'd really point to something nasty being turned on daily.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 27th, 2023, 8:05 am

other TV totally unaffected

its only the BBC channels being lost on the Toshiba
and it was left 'on' all yesterady afternoon on a BBC channel...no problems and no loss of channels
typical !!

will repeat today and see how things go

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 27th, 2023, 8:28 am

mutantpoodle wrote:its only the BBC channels being lost on the Toshiba

Ok, well if you're losing the BBC HD channels but are not losing ITV1 HD & Channel 4 HD then it can't be a signal problem, as they're all on the same mux.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 28th, 2023, 9:21 am

its bloomin annoying
TV was left on again all afternoon showing BBC
no problems and no loss of any channels

might have to throw brick at it soon!!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 28th, 2023, 9:34 am