Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

compress and password protect

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

compress and password protect

Postby Tedx » March 7th, 2024, 3:41 pm

Hi there

I need to compress and password protect some documents for emailing. Apparently, Windows 10 doesn't have the functionality.

It would very likely only be used once. The documents aren't particularly sensitive (i.e. financial info), just private.

Any suggestions? I was going to download a trial version of Winzip, but if there any better suggestions out there?

Many thanks

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: compress and password protect

Postby Infrasonic » March 7th, 2024, 4:19 pm

I just send emails with URL cloud 'share' links to password/time limited folders or individual document files these days which is quicker and cuts down on the chances that the other end find attachments somewhat spammy and might reject or spam folder the email, or that the document file exceeds the attachment size limit.

Text or secure message any passwords (Signal/WA etc.)

For E2EE secure cloud I use Proton Drive (5GB free) or Sync.com, but you could use free Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive in a similar manner if you're not that fussed about privacy.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 7th, 2024, 4:40 pm

Tedx wrote:Hi there

I need to compress and password protect some documents for emailing. Apparently, Windows 10 doesn't have the functionality.

It would very likely only be used once. The documents aren't particularly sensitive (i.e. financial info), just private.

Any suggestions? I was going to download a trial version of Winzip, but if there any better suggestions out there?

Many thanks

There isn't a Windows-native way to do this. However, there are reliable free third-party apps which will do this ( and can be integrated into your File Explorer contect menu if you want). I use 7-Zip, but others are available. 7-Zip is free and open-source, which may be attractive compared with having to use a trial version of Winzip.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » March 7th, 2024, 4:43 pm

When I was asked to provide some company info (again stuff I didn't really consider sensitive so non-financial but file size was rejected by their servers), I did it through DropBox where you can restrict access and IIRC the individuals you want to provide access to get sent an email telling them about it.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 7th, 2024, 9:01 pm

Many thanks

Wetransfer is a convenient way to share files and free if you're sending less than 2gb. You upload them and it provides you with a URL to send to the recipient for the purpose of downloading. The files must be downloaded within a short time frame after which they are deleted.

https://wetransfer.com/pricing?campaign ... lsrc=aw.ds

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » March 9th, 2024, 10:34 am

chas49 wrote:

Many thanks

There isn't a Windows-native way to do this. However, there are reliable free third-party apps which will do this ( and can be integrated into your File Explorer contect menu if you want). I use 7-Zip, but others are available. 7-Zip is free and open-source, which may be attractive compared with having to use a trial version of Winzip.

I'm a big fan of 7-Zip, and use it as my default, but it is not particularly intuitive for a first time user. Also encryption method has to be set to ZipCrypto for Windows internal unzipper to be able to open it.
Perhaps using a link to your own online storage like google drive etc with a PW or sent to a specific email account may be easier if it's a one-off. Or there may be (free?) online services - Thunderbird email client allows me a choice (although I've never actually used any, and it's supposed to be for heavier files).

torata

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 11th, 2024, 1:32 pm

chas49 wrote:

Many thanks

I've used Axcrypt, a free Open source program, for over 20 years. After Windows 7, it got a bit heavier and to use AES 256, you have a paid version.

7zip seems okay. A lot of it is comon sense. Change the name of your files and folder to something innocuous, like 'curtain measurements' etc. Always zip before encrypting, then use a password of minimum 16 letters, upper/lower case and a few other symbols.

If you're an International mastermind with a secret base on a volcanic island and sharks with laser beams, then the CIA may try and crack the code. 8-)

For most of us, it's complete overkill ;)

Steve

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”