Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Stripping Paint ?

Does what it says on the tin
jaizan
Lemon Slice

Re: Stripping Paint ?

Postby jaizan » July 15th, 2023, 10:11 am

Mike4 wrote:Surely a new garage door would cost not a great deal more than the sum of the various tins of paint, primer, tools etc you're going to need.

Double garage door £700~2000, plus fitting.

Paint, primer & stripper will probably be under £50. I have all the tools.

The only reason to have a new door is that it might look better and there will be a very marginal convenience benefit if I go for a roller door.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 15th, 2023, 10:30 am

jaizan wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Surely a new garage door would cost not a great deal more than the sum of the various tins of paint, primer, tools etc you're going to need.

I think your wallet is in for a nasty shock when you go to B&Q to buy the stripper, primer, undercoat, topcoat, thinners etc.

You'll probably need to spend well over £50 on paint stripper alone to do the area of a double garage door.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2023, 10:45 am

Mike4 wrote:
jaizan wrote:

I think your wallet is in for a nasty shock when you go to B&Q to buy the stripper, primer, undercoat, topcoat, thinners etc.

You'll probably need to spend well over £50 on paint stripper alone to do the area of a double garage door.

That's still a win though?

If you wanted to do it cheapest I'd be sanding back where necessary and trying to match tint for an easy recoat

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 15th, 2023, 11:08 am

servodude wrote: That's still a win though?

It is if one values one's time counts as worth nothing, or enjoys doing it.

My perspective is probably warped as I find myself considering how much I could earn fixing some boilers and how many boilers I could fix in the (substantial) amount of time it would take to strip and re-paint a double garage door.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2023, 11:18 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote: That's still a win though?

My perspective is probably warped as I find myself considering how much I could earn fixing some boilers and how many boilers I could fix in the (substantial) amount of time it would take to strip and re-paint a double garage door.

True.

But there's a satisfaction to painting your own door, setting up and rewiring your own guitar, or servicing your Lister Petter, that isn't just monetary.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 15th, 2023, 11:31 am

Mike4 wrote:

servodude wrote:
True.

But there's a satisfaction to painting your own door, setting up and rewiring your own guitar, or servicing your Lister Petter, that isn't just monetary.

We need to talk :lol:

I know I've got my coat :oops: :roll: :lol:

AiY(D)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 15th, 2023, 12:28 pm

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

True.

Again, true. But not in my experience, in painting a sodding great double garage door!

An even bigger satisfaction in paying someone else to do it whilst one enjoys re-attaching the neck to a busted mandolin one has just been given as a lost cause, say.

(Yes I used PVA, probably a BAD mistake!)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 15th, 2023, 1:12 pm

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:
True.

Again, true. But not in my experience, in painting a sodding great double garage door!

An even bigger satisfaction in paying someone else to do it whilst one enjoys re-attaching the neck to a busted mandolin one has just been given as a lost cause, say.

(Yes I used PVA, probably a BAD mistake!)

Otherwise known as wood glue?
It'll be stronger than the wood once cured.
Get it straight and keep it clamped longer than you think it needs and it should be fine.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » July 15th, 2023, 4:12 pm

servodude wrote:That's still a win though?

Exactly.
I still reckon materials will come in under £50, but even if I'm wrong, materials and my labour will cost well under a third of the cost of a new door.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » October 4th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Well:
1 Brake fluid didn't work
2 The hot air gun wasn't very good
3 My belt sander tended to leave scratches, so I abandoned that rapidly
4 The wire cup brush on the angle grinder made some progress, but after doing a sample area, I figured it would take over 10 hours to do the door
5 So off I went to Toolstation to get some paint stripper. The one that actually scores 4 stars on customer reviews, which seems to be as good as it gets for modern paint strippers ( Home Strip Paint & Varnish Remover 2L by Eco Solutions Product Code: 39051).

This softens the paint sufficiently for a VERY sharp scraper to scrape it off.
This still leaves lots of pfaffing around with the grooves in the door.

Whilst I initially dismissed the idea of a new door, I like the idea far more now.

The one big success was ordering the paint off "thepaintshed.com". Very few retailers had the paint I wanted & they were the cheapest. Delivery was flawless
I ordered at 10:32 am.
I got an e-mail at 11:17am saying it was dispatched :!: .
Further e-mails followed, including a 1 hour delivery slot next day from DPD.

Return to “Building and DIY”