Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Painting patterns on tiles

Does what it says on the tin
bitstrange

Painting patterns on tiles

Postby bitstrange » December 29th, 2016, 8:46 am

Hi all, on a recent holiday Inn Morocco, I saw lots of beautiful mosaics such as this: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8473/8374 ... da2e_z.jpg I'd like to incorporate a feature of something like this when I redecorate my bathroom at home. I'm not necessarily thinking that the whole bathroom needs to be patterned but perhaps a large square of an elaborate design on the wall alongside the bath, and the rest maybe white or light coloured tiles. I've had a bit of a look around but haven't managed to find a way that I could have this done by actual tiling (though maybe I'm not looking for the right things!). So I've started thinking about whether I could just have white tiles all over and then paint a design/pattern over it. I see that there are paints suitable for bathroom tiles, though they all seem to be geared up for painting over entire walls as a way to refresh them. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether painting more delicate patterns would be feasible? Has anyone ever tried anything like this and would you have any tips before I embark on this?

Thanks in advance!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Painting patterns on tiles

Postby redsturgeon » December 29th, 2016, 9:08 am

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Painting patterns on tiles

Postby bungeejumper » December 29th, 2016, 9:19 am

My wife has painted line designs on tiles, and it wasn't too difficult with the right paints (and an absolutely super-clean tile surface - a mild scourer like Jif helps to get the last of the grease away.) But you need a very sharp eye and steady hand, and it's in the nature of mosaics that any irregularities will stick out like a sore thumb. :|

You can of course buy decals, which are cheating a bit. But I'm sure there must be places that will sell ready-made mosaic tile sets on a mesh backing for this sort of design? I had a quick google for islamic/geometric etc, and there seemed to be plenty of leads, though admittedly I didn't look very far. Or just ask at an upmarket bathroom design place?

BJ

Return to “Building and DIY”