Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Flashing fluorescent tube

Does what it says on the tin
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Flashing fluorescent tube

Postby MyNameIsUrl » January 17th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Earlier today a fluorescent tube was flickering very quickly, and now it is flashing about once a second. Has the tube gone or is it likely to be a ballast or something in the fitting?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Flashing fluorescent tube

Postby bungeejumper » January 18th, 2017, 7:56 am

Any blackening at the ends of the tube? If not, try swapping out the starter from another fitment.

I don't have much to add to what this source has to say (although, being a yank, he's thinking of 110 volts rather than 230) http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infe ... fluor.html. If the ballast has gone it'll be only slightly more expensive to replace the whole light fitting - but relax, they're really not pricey if you buy them online rather than from B&Q.

Still, a new tube is the most probable remedy.

BJ

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 18th, 2017, 11:48 am

Duff tube.

LED replacements are readily available and you do not need a ballast or starter with those.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 21st, 2017, 4:08 pm

supremetwo wrote:Duff tube.

LED replacements are readily available and you do not need a ballast or starter with those.

I thought that you had do do re-wiring to bypass the ballast and starter, actually inside the fitting?

Slarti

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 21st, 2017, 5:47 pm

Slarti wrote:
supremetwo wrote:Duff tube.

I thought that you had do do re-wiring to bypass the ballast and starter, actually inside the fitting?

Slarti

If the fitting is the type that uses a starter and is not of the type that runs two tubes from one ballast, there is no internal wiring to do. Simply replace the tube and starter with an LED and the "starter" that comes with it.

If the fitting has an electronic ballast or some other circuit that does not have a starter, it will have to be rewired for use with an LED.

Some fittings have one choke but two tubes and two starters. This will only apply to fittings with fairly short tubes. These need rewiring before an LED lamp is fitted. Recessed modular fluorescent fittings (the 600mm square ones that fit in suspended ceilings) have two lots of two tubes so wired. These fittings can be replaced entirely with LED panels quite cheaply.

Julian F. G. W.

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » January 21st, 2017, 8:58 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Earlier today a fluorescent tube was flickering very quickly, and now it is flashing about once a second. Has the tube gone or is it likely to be a ballast or something in the fitting?

I had a 5 foot tube go this week. It flickered and as I had a spare starter I tried that but no joy. I needed it at this time of year and our local ironmonger gave me a new one for £5.50. End of story. They last for a long time so no big deal. Do not complicate matters.

Dod

Return to “Building and DIY”