Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Remove debris from 6" drainage pipe

Does what it says on the tin
NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Remove debris from 6" drainage pipe

Postby NapoleonD » February 19th, 2023, 7:29 pm

Just had to fork out close to £300 on a plumber to unblock the drains. Down goes a 4" plunger, then a 6" plunger, then the water jet. After pulling out a toy car, a dinosaur, assorted other plastic bits and bobs, sticks etc, he looks down. The 4" pipe feeds into the 6" pipe about 5 feet below ground. Just below the outlet for the 4 inch pipe i can see a roof slate, a boulder and presumably other items below this.

Any ideas how i can remove these? I though a post-digger to tey and grip them, but it would need to be close to 6 to 7 feet tall which is unlikely, never mind the narrowness of the pipe.

Any other ideas?

Have to say my sister will also no longer be flushing bloody wet-wipes down the toilet (Christ, does no-one watch the news anymore?), but still i fear it is only a metter of time before we are in the garden paddling in a delightful sea of slurry again.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Remove debris from 6" drainage pipe

Postby DrFfybes » February 19th, 2023, 7:55 pm

Can you get a gully sucker in there? - basically a truck sized vacuum cleaner.

I've spent the afternoon vacuuming debris from a wall cavity as we were having the cills replaced. In some parts you could just reach in and pull it out. There was the front off a freezer drawer in there!

Filled 2 gardening trugs so far and am almost down to the damp course level :(

Paul (windering if it is time to update the 'Bodgetastic' thread)

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » February 19th, 2023, 9:16 pm

As long as the pipe is long enough to get through the hedge, then yes.

Looks expensive to hire?

richardsun

Postby richardsun » February 20th, 2023, 7:42 am

Are there any manholes or rodding points upstream or downstream on the 6" pipe run? If there's one downstream it might be possible to force the debris down to that (using drain rods or jetting) and fish it out there.
If it's a bad blockage of large stuff that can't be dislodged it might be a case of physically digging down to the blocked junction, breaking the drain open to unblock, and repairing afterwards. Not easy/cheap :(

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » February 20th, 2023, 8:45 am

I'm assuming this drain only serves the one property?

We have one across our front garden into which our waste flows but it also serves the two properties 'upstream' of ours. If a blockage occurs after this point then the local water authority is responsible even though the drain is on our property.

I believe this principle applies throughout England.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 20th, 2023, 9:00 am

NapoleonD wrote:As long as the pipe is long enough to get through the hedge, then yes.

Looks expensive to hire?

I don't know domestic rates, but when we were clearing debris from road ducts our contract rate for a local visit was cheaper than your plumber. There are also things people like the Gas layers use to excavate soil from holes.

If you think a septic tank cost a couple of hundred quid to empty, then you're probably ot far off the mark.

Paul

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 20th, 2023, 9:02 am

NapoleonD wrote:Just had to fork out close to £300 on a plumber to unblock the drains. Down goes a 4" plunger, then a 6" plunger, then the water jet. After pulling out a toy car, a dinosaur, assorted other plastic bits and bobs, sticks etc, he looks down. The 4" pipe feeds into the 6" pipe about 5 feet below ground. Just below the outlet for the 4 inch pipe i can see a roof slate, a boulder and presumably other items below this.

Any ideas how i can remove these? I though a post-digger to tey and grip them, but it would need to be close to 6 to 7 feet tall which is unlikely, never mind the narrowness of the pipe.

Any other ideas?

Have to say my sister will also no longer be flushing bloody wet-wipes down the toilet (Christ, does no-one watch the news anymore?), but still i fear it is only a metter of time before we are in the garden paddling in a delightful sea of slurry again.

1. Speak to a drain rodding company to see what alternatives they have - don't expect it to be a cheap solution although I hope I am proven wrong.
  2. Leave it and simply make sure nothing that can get caught on the obstruction goes down the drain :(
  3. Ban wet wipes - I stand to be corrected but even those that are supposed to disintegrate in water don't :(
  4. Excavate and remove the obstructions :(
Sorry I can't be of much more help.

AiY(D)

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 20th, 2023, 10:01 am

I especially recommend a banning of putting wipes down the toilet. We occasionally have had drain blockage and everytime it's happened, lifting the nearest access shows it's clogged with wet wipes where there's a change in direction of flow in the drain.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 20th, 2023, 10:56 am

staffordian wrote:I'm assuming this drain only serves the one property?

We have one across our front garden into which our waste flows but it also serves the two properties 'upstream' of ours. If a blockage occurs after this point then the local water authority is responsible even though the drain is on our property.

Yes, that's been our experience too. (Somerset.)

Same gripe about wet wipes, except that the tenant in question had upped her game and was flushing whole nappies. :evil: Oh, and we had Buchan traps in the pipes, which always add to the fun. https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default/fi ... k=e69SIG_W.

BJ

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » February 20th, 2023, 11:05 am

staffordian wrote:I'm assuming this drain only serves the one property?

I believe this principle applies throughout England.

We're in Scotland, and I beleive where the drain is serves ourselves and our semi-detached neighbour. Will check tonight as I ask them to flush their toilets and see if the flow runs into 'our' pipe. Will call Scottish Water and see if they can roll up with a gully cleaner. If not, it's excavation time, which I really want to avoid.

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » February 22nd, 2023, 6:38 am

Hello you may be able to get some more help from https://www.diynot.com/diy/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 22nd, 2023, 4:01 pm

Similar idea, but flexible rather than stiff. And 2.5 metres long, with a "humanized design" (Oo-er, missus. :oops: ) What's more, the Amazon blurb tells us that this "snake-shaped sewage drill" is "recommended to do it one to two times a week". My eyes are watering at the thought.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hemobllo-Flexi ... 08P8MCMN9/

BJ

Moosehoosenew
Lemon Pip

Postby Moosehoosenew » February 26th, 2023, 9:49 am

Bit late to the party, but Scotland similar to England, if your drain is shared then Scottish Water will clear it

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 26th, 2023, 9:57 am

I reckon I could repurpose a long handled pruner by adding a noose at the end to try and loop out obstructions but only with a good view of the blockages. My wet and dry builders vacuum has at least 3m of reach and pretty strong suction buy would need a good seal to pull out a boulder

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » February 26th, 2023, 6:15 pm

kempiejon wrote: only with a good view of the blockages.

A borescope (camera on a stick) can be had for a surprisingly low price.

IMHO borescopes should be in more tool boxes, even for mundane tasks such as retrieving pens from behind the fridge, although you'd probably want a second borescopes for sewer diving.

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » March 3rd, 2023, 4:42 pm

Update!

Called Scottish Water at the start of last week, they turned up the following day with a 3m hook that they couldn't manoeuvre into position. Off he trots, saying he'll report back.

The 6" has been overflowing again, but today the SP gully sucker turned up. Out came a roof slate and a huge black boulder, which they've taken away as some sort of weird trophy. Filled up the kitchen sink and watched the drain as Mrs N pulled the plug, no rise in the water level so all appears to be good. Will check it every couple of weeks from now on.

Thanks all for the tips.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 3rd, 2023, 6:45 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Can you get a gully sucker in there?

NapoleonD wrote:Update

The 6" has been overflowing again, but today the SP gully sucker turned up. Out came a roof slate and a huge black boulder, which they've taken away as some sort of weird trophy.

[Kryten] Engage Smug Mode [/Kryten]

Erm, yeah, you probably don't want to see their 'Trophy Cabinet".

FWIW I pulled the front off a freezer drawer out of our wall cavity a week or so ago. You do wonder.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 3rd, 2023, 6:50 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Can you get a gully sucker in there?

NapoleonD wrote:Update

The 6" has been overflowing again, but today the SP gully sucker turned up. Out came a roof slate and a huge black boulder, which they've taken away as some sort of weird trophy.

[Kryten] Engage Smug Mode [/Kryten]

Erm, yeah, you probably don't want to see their 'Trophy Cabinet".

FWIW I pulled the front off a freezer drawer out of our wall cavity a week or so ago. You do wonder.

Paul

Clearly you have an interesting cavity. I have no cavities.

Dod

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » March 4th, 2023, 7:32 am

DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

A few years ago we had a visit from whoever was running around the houses doing free installs of cavity insulation.

Inspection holes are drilled and a camera inserted to see if there's anything inside.

On the extension, built by the previous owner, among some of the other surprises he conferred on us, he's lined the cavity with bubble wrap.

Return to “Building and DIY”