Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Flashing light in microwave

Does what it says on the tin
Dod101
The full Lemon

Flashing light in microwave

Postby Dod101 » January 20th, 2024, 7:59 pm

I have a Neff oven which I guess is about 16 years old and it has given absolutely no problems. It is actually an oven and microwave combined and I use both regularly ( not at the same time I may add!)

This evening I was doing a defrost using the microwave and a mysterious light kept flashing from a lower back corner. The microwave was still working and doing its stuff. Is this something that I can do something about myself or should I call a repair man? Is it about to blow up or what? It is a fairly bright white light which flashes intermittently.
Can anyone help a totally useless DIY man please?

Dod

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Re: Flashing light in microwave

Postby NearlyThere » January 20th, 2024, 8:07 pm

A scrap of tinfoil perhaps?

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » January 20th, 2024, 8:07 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have a Neff oven which I guess is about 16 years old and it has given absolutely no problems. It is actually an oven and microwave combined and I use both regularly ( not at the same time I may add!)

This evening I was doing a defrost using the microwave and a mysterious light kept flashing from a lower back corner. The microwave was still working and doing its stuff. Is this something that I can do something about myself or should I call a repair man? Is it about to blow up or what? It is a fairly bright white light which flashes intermittently.

Dod

It sounds like exactly what would happen if something metallic was inadvertently inserted into the microwave resulting in arcing.

If you place a small amount of water in a plastic container does this still happen?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 20th, 2024, 8:21 pm

Does the waveguide cover need a clean (a plaque on the side of the microwave..it is about the size/ thickness of a playing card).?

Remove it if necessary and clean with soapy water.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 20th, 2024, 9:40 pm

Right. I have emptied the oven of an aluminium tray, a couple of wire shelves and a black tray for say a roast. Having done that the flashing light is no more. I do not think they are particularly dirty but I dare say they could be helped with a wash.

All the above items came with the oven and are in use most days. Why would a light suddenly star flashing?

I will clean them thoroughly and if I can find it the waveguide cover.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 20th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Dod101 wrote:Right. I have emptied the oven of an aluminium tray, a couple of wire shelves and a black tray for say a roast. Having done that the flashing light is no more. I do not think they are particularly dirty but I dare say they could be helped with a wash.

All the above items came with the oven and are in use most days. Why would a light suddenly star flashing?

I will clean them thoroughly and if I can find it the waveguide cover.

Dod

Some pictures of waveguide covers...

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=6 ... 32&dpr=1.5

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » January 20th, 2024, 11:15 pm

I imagine the wire shelves (assuming they came with the oven) are OK, and it's the trays that are the problem.

See here for more:

https://westsideappliancerepair.com/202 ... microwave/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 21st, 2024, 6:57 am

Stompa wrote:I imagine the wire shelves (assuming they came with the oven) are OK, and it's the trays that are the problem.

See here for more:

https://westsideappliancerepair.com/202 ... microwave/

Thanks for all these comments. Everything I described came with the microwave/oven but I think it was no more complicated than that one of the items was actually touching the metal lining of the oven. Thanks to monabri for the attachment which is very helpful.

Anyway the matter seems to have gone away.

Dod

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 21st, 2024, 8:06 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have a Neff oven which I guess is about 16 years old ...........should I call a repair man?

As an aside, at 16 years old I would put the cost of a repair man (£100?) towards a new unit. Can't go on safely for much longer anyway so "throwing good money...etc, etc". This applies to any electrical appliance.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 21st, 2024, 8:14 pm

I had portable appliances safety as my remit for a previous job, the guys that came and put stickers on our electrical appliances would do microwave checks as part of the package. Made me wonder if microwaves were dangerous in the domestic environment where there isn't access to checks. I read a bit and decided that microwaves were probably safe - the ovens not the electromagnetic radiation. Memory tells me it is non-ionising and that's not the cancer radiation. Mind your eyes so keep your face away when in operation. Oh and if you're a potential breeder keep the testes away too.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 21st, 2024, 9:05 pm

kempiejon wrote:I had portable appliances safety as my remit for a previous job, the guys that came and put stickers on our electrical appliances would do microwave checks as part of the package. Made me wonder if microwaves were dangerous in the domestic environment where there isn't access to checks. I read a bit and decided that microwaves were probably safe - the ovens not the electromagnetic radiation. Memory tells me it is non-ionising and that's not the cancer radiation. Mind your eyes so keep your face away when in operation. Oh and if you're a potential breeder keep the testes away too.

You put your testes near a microwave? Too much information! However, what you do behind closed doors...

;)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 21st, 2024, 11:29 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have a Neff oven which I guess is about 16 years old and it has given absolutely no problems. It is actually an oven and microwave combined and I use both regularly ( not at the same time I may add!)

Dod

Have you considered reading the manual?

Or not that desperate yet? ;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 22nd, 2024, 6:09 am

Mike4 wrote:

Dod

Have you considered reading the manual?

Or not that desperate yet? ;)

I have since read it but it does not cover the issue. Anyway the problem has now been solved, at least for now.

Dod

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 22nd, 2024, 7:37 pm

monabri wrote:However, what you do behind closed doors...
When it comes to gonads and microwaves closed doors are essential. C.

Return to “Building and DIY”